How to fix Ethernet input...?

wembley

Inspired
I won't even try to explain how this happened (bent over the rack trying to fumble my way with the usb plug, etc.), but I managed to slightly bend/push up a couple of the small metal stripes in the Ethernet input on the Axe. I plugged in the MFC and it seemed to work, but last night I got a "name timeout" message, suggesting that the connection might be bad (plugged out and back in and everything worked).

So, how robust are these small connector pins inside the Ethernet port on the Axe, relatively speaking? I think I can reach the bent pins with a needle and try to bend them back out (they're only slightly pushed in), but will they snap? If this is not something you'd recommend, which I suspect, do I have to send the unit back for repair, or is replacing the Ethernet port something a skilled techician can do?

The port is soldered to the motherboard. It is a standard issue PCB mount fixture. Fairly easy to replace, but you'll be voiding your warranty. Then again, your warranty probably does not cover trying to insert a USB plug into your ethernet port!
I've never managed to repair one of these when twisted, but you might. It does not seem impossible, just unreliable. I'd just as soon replace it or install an ethercon connector.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...on-midi-foot-controller-101-missing-link.html

You CAN bend them back (actually you have to OVER BEND them to get them to somewhat original position), but they're never really quite the same...if you want to try, use a very small set of needle nose pliers - the kind for small electronics work. I actually used a grinder to get the tips of the pliers as thin as possible. It's not easy, and you're probably better off replacing the jack, but I have had good luck when employing a little patience.

BTW, if you want to use Patzag's Ethercon method, it's great!

Thanks. I'll check at tonight's gig and see if it's unreliable as it is. If it is, I'll go for the nose (plier) job :)

Back
Top Bottom