How to fix AX8 audio gaps when changing presets?

Switching X/Y on the amp block will still cause a drop out. If you want to use more than one amp model in a song, you'll just have to work around it.

Big things to remember are: 1. don't switch on the downbeat, switch before it so the first note of the new phrase isn't chopped off. 2. don't sustain notes or chords while switching. A natural pause in your playing will be less noticeable than a sudden drop in the audio mid-note or mid-chord. With a bit of practice and orchestration you can work around the gap.

I think you calling it “Scenes mode” is adding an extra layer of confusion.

There are Presets. These can hold different blocks in different arrangements, and all can have different settings. Or they can be exactly the same with only small differences. If Scenes didn’t exist, this is how we would change all sounds, aside from turning blocks on and off individually.

Ok I understand. What I mean't is that if I stay in one preset and change scenes, I would need to hit F1 and then 1-8 before I could change to a different preset right? If I would have been in sticky mode (which I am using currently) I would get away with only hitting one button.

I am only considering changing to using scenes to avoid audio gaps, but I also understand it will take some time to set up. I am reading that you will still have gaps changing amp and cab with X/Y, so in the end will the gap really be any shorter?

But using input trim may help.
Usually, I have one Amp set up specifically for Clean, one for Crunch, Higher Gain, High Gain. There will be a slight delay changing between Clean/Crunch, but I can work around it.

More interesting is:
Inpu Trim changes will have no Delay. And using a drive pedal and Scene Controller on the Input Trim, you can do a lot of stuff from clean to high-gain without any gap.

You can't get 3 different amp models in a patch, though you can use the X/Y amp switch for gapless changes and build a 3rd channel with pre/post EQs based on either amp model.

However, you can get 3, or even 4 independent cab models in a patch.

Attachments

• 4 cabs.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
The trade-off for the floor units is processing power - you might have to re-think your approach and really simplify your rig, or you prob will never be completely satisfied with the AX8. Simplify and optimize your approach to tones!

My tones are quite simple, but my distorted tone, lead and clean tone all have different amps and cabs. I guess this is what takes the most processing power?

How do you choose if they spillover should be delay or reverb?
Over presets using the global setup menu (there is a spillover option, you have to set them to eithet 'Reverb', 'Delay' or 'Both') or, when switching scenes, set the bypass to 'Mute FX In'. Make sure that you don't change the X/Y state of Delay or Reverb, though.

Perhaps stupid question, but will the gap be shorter if I set up my three presets as scenes on the same preset number, instead of having them as three different presets on a bank? Note that these presets all have different cabs and amps.

Perhaps stupid question, but will the gap be shorter if I set up my three presets as scenes on the same preset number, instead of having them as three different presets on a bank? Note that these presets all have different cabs and amps.
If they all have different amps and cabs and there are 3, then you can’t make those into Scenes since a single preset only has XY options, which are only 2 different amps and cabs. And as it’s been mentioned several times, XY switching the Amp block has the gap.

Preset switching has the fastest gap if amp sounds are changing. XY switching (which can be controlled by Scenes) can be the same or slower than Preset switching depending on CPU usage. If you use Scene controllers to modify gain levels in the same Amp block in a single preset, that can be seamless.

I feel this has all been covered in this thread or your other similar threads, yes?

If they all have different amps and cabs and there are 3, then you can’t make those into Scenes since a single preset only has XY options, which are only 2 different amps and cabs. And as it’s been mentioned several times, XY switching the Amp block has the gap.

Preset switching has the fastest gap if amp sounds are changing. XY switching (which can be controlled by Scenes) can be the same or slower than Preset switching depending on CPU usage. If you use Scene controllers to modify gain levels in the same Amp block in a single preset, that can be seamless.
Ok Thanks. So I'll just stick to preset switching then.

I just got my AX8 and the audio gaps when changing presets seems bigger than with my Axe II. Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I am mainly using a distorted tone, a clean and a lead and they all got different amps and cabs. Is the best way to solve this to have scenes and that every preset has the exact same grid structure, however with different amps, etc when I change the scenes? I could probably set it up, but it would take some time.

Is there an easier way around this, e.g. is spillover a good thing to turn on in order to "camouflage" audio gaps?
Hey Hansen, I found that the trick to the most gapless switching possible is to assign the X/Y toggle function to an F-switch. In doing so the footswitches 1 through 8 no longer have the hold function but now the footswitches will trigger on the "downstroke" instead of triggering when your foot is on its way up, like a regular analog switch would. I hope this helps.

Hey Hansen, I found that the trick to the most gapless switching possible is to assign the X/Y toggle function to an F-switch. In doing so the footswitches 1 through 8 no longer have the hold function but now the footswitches will trigger on the "downstroke" instead of triggering when your foot is on its way up, like a regular analog switch would. I hope this helps.

Thanks. But let's say you use 4 presets, then you would need to build these 4 presets on 2 presets, have the exact same layout of the preset and use X/Y to switch the various amps, effects on/off in order to switch preset? So you would go from 4 to 2 presets if I get you correctly?

Back
Top Bottom