How to even up output levels?

pamisano

Inspired
Is there a way, an easy way, to get the output of all patches relatively close to the same volume, an output meter or something that shows patch x is considerably louder than patch y?

Aside from going patch to patch listening and then adjusting the output level, only to find now it's too soft and going back to turn it back up, yadda, yadda.

Thanks,

Pete

check out the status meters in the utilities page .

utilities > status meters. From there you should be able to see input, output and CPU usage & get volume relatively close

If the bass frequencies, for example, are very high in a preset, any meters visual or audio will show that that preset is loud, but when you hear it it will sound softer than another preset that, say, has more mids, since human ears perceive bass less than mids.

Ultimately you have to balance them with your ears.

What they said.

You can ball park it with meters (of any sort).

But you need to test - at actual gig volumes - with your ears as the final judge.

yeah, I get the treble vs bass vs perceived vs actual levels. I am just looking for a quick and easy way to go from patch to patch (I have a about 28 I use in multiple cover bands) to get them close in over all volume. I don't think the output graph in the utilities menu is a good judge as it is relative to the patch not the overall output.

I set two of my MFC-101 switches to "Volume Up" and "Volume Down". They're great because you don't have to save the preset after each adjustment, it's automatically remembered. Plus it only affects to final output level and doesn't change the amount of crunch, distortion etc.
So it's quick to scan through presets and adjust them up or down until they sound similar in volume (and I agree that's better than doing it by instrument levels)

Back
Top Bottom