How to eliminate feedback on my stage monitor

Jos Pelkman

Hello fellow AX8 users,

I was hoping someone could help me out here....

I dail in my sounds at home through studio monitors and I love the sound of them. Also the lead tones sound great. But when I go practice/perform with the band, the same lead tone often gain feedback on my monitor. I use my out2 for my stage monitor (Cerwin Vega 10" active monitor).

What could I possibly do wrong? Is it because I use too much delay or reverb? Am I using too much drive? Is it because of my pick-ups (Squier Tele Classic Vibe)?

I hope someone has some good tips/rules for me to keep in mind when dailing in a lead tone?

Thanks in advance and cheers from The Netherlands!

Jos

I had a feedback issue under similar circumstances and traced it to my guitar. The strings on the guitar (EBJP) between the nut and tuners were vibrating and causing feedback down the strings and into the pickup. A hairband or string dampener up above the nut solved the issue.

May not be your exact issue but sometimes the additional volume of playing live brings out guitar issues that aren't seen at lower volumes and are worth checking. Sometimes it's simply too much drive and the increased volume will bring out feedback issues.

I had a feedback issue under similar circumstances and traced it to my guitar. The strings on the guitar (EBJP) between the nut and tuners were vibrating and causing feedback down the strings and into the pickup. A hairband or string dampener up above the nut solved the issue.

May not be your exact issue but sometimes the additional volume of playing live brings out guitar issues that aren't seen at lower volumes and are worth checking. Sometimes it's simply too much drive and the increased volume will bring out feedback issues.

Thank you, I will give that a try for starters

Thanks Chris, but how come I don't have this experience when playing the same preset through my studio monitors? Those speakers are facing my pickups too.

Your likely standing right over your stage wedge. Your studio monitors are probably on a desk ? Unless your 10 feet tall and standing right in front of them, your guitar probably isn’t right in front of them like it is the wedge.

Likewise, your probably playing far louder at a gig than at home. Volume (and distance), which effectively is sound pressure, as it pertains to your pickup is what causes feedback.

You can stick your guitar inches from a speaker playing softly and get no feedback. From a cranked speaker you can get feedback from a fair distsnce away

About what level are you playing live in matter of dBa SPL I mean ? Had similar issues only when accidentally pushing the monitor way over the edge. At "normal" levels, say up to 90dB this shouldn't happen.

In general... The louder you are, the less gain you can get away with. And honestly, the less gain you need to get the same feel and 'musical feedback'. Your tone becomes more dynamic and more articulate with less gain.

However, there are some guitars/pickups that are more prone to feedback issues than others.

I can vouch for the pickups being a part but not the only source.
I also have a Squire Classic Vibe Tele and Strat and yes, at the time, they would be more prone to feedback and noise compared to my MIM Strat and humbucker Ibanez. Tele worse than Strat for some reason.

Bought Lace Sensors for both (Gold on the Strat) and it did help reduce feedback and of course noise but yeah, if I crank my wedge(s), it will feedback. Only improved the threshold as I found the Squire pups sound nice but are noisy. I have nothing but praise for Lace Sensors however, that's my choice and not the only type out there that don't squeal I'm sure.

If nothing else works, adjust the noise gate. I had the same issue, got these same responses, and the gate cured it
good luck

If nothing else works, adjust the noise gate. I had the same issue, got these same responses, and the gate cured it
good luck

Noise gate doesn’t reduce volume, only noise when your not playing. When you hit the strings the gate opens and you get the full signal, thus the potential for feedback.

Threads like this are kind of funny though because a certain mindset of guitarist post things like “you can’t get feedback with a modeler” lol

Yep, I certainly cant explain it, and Im generally no fan of gates. But it worked in this case. BTW, these were purchased patches or off the exchange I had issues with. My creations have never been an issue. I have also reduced my monitor volume but that alone did not solve the feedback

Hello fellow AX8 users,

I was hoping someone could help me out here....

I dail in my sounds at home through studio monitors and I love the sound of them. Also the lead tones sound great. But when I go practice/perform with the band, the same lead tone often gain feedback on my monitor. I use my out2 for my stage monitor (Cerwin Vega 10" active monitor).

What could I possibly do wrong? Is it because I use too much delay or reverb? Am I using too much drive? Is it because of my pick-ups (Squier Tele Classic Vibe)?

I hope someone has some good tips/rules for me to keep in mind when dailing in a lead tone?

Thanks in advance and cheers from The Netherlands!

Jos

Hi!
Could the position of your monitor also be a factor?
I had feedback problems with the Burstbuckers of my Gibson Explorer, when I had my monitor (Alto TS212) as a wedge in front of me. Recently I bought a stand for the Alto to lift it from the ground (which also reduced the massive bass this monitor offers), and suddenly the feedback/squealing issues were gone. So I suppose, the reason for my feedback issues was just a combination of unpotted pickups and squeal from the speakers pointing directly at the pickups.

there are two types of feedback - "natural" and "microphonic"

natural feedback is caused by the sound coming from your speaker coupling with the string vibration, causing a feedback loop. this type of feedback is musical, controllable and fun.

microphonic feedback is caused by the sound coming from your speaker (usually the high frequencies) coupling with your pickups and causing a high pitched squeal. this type of feedback is unpleasant, uncontrollable and no fun for anybody.

you don't say which type of feedback you're getting.

either way, volume and proximity to the speaker are both big factors. try putting the speaker behind you, so it's not pointing straight at your guitar. if that doesn't work, try less volume and/or less gain.

you might also want to post a patch, so we can have a look. i checked out a patch from someone a few days ago who was complaining of microphonic feedback and it was plainly obvious why it was occurring (his patch was so bad, it was like he almost created specifically to cause the problem)

In general... The louder you are, the less gain you can get away with. And honestly, the less gain you need to get the same feel and 'musical feedback'. Your tone becomes more dynamic and more articulate with less gain.

However, there are some guitars/pickups that are more prone to feedback issues than others.

I agree that to a certain level this applies for direct real amps and speakers; not so much for a miced amp sound as all the gain work is done beforehand in the axe fx; all you work on is master volume. Hence dynamics remains an issue of compression parameters and, last but not least,....the fingerwork..

Feedback other than direct amp feedback, such as feedback on a floormonitor, is rather like feedback on FOH; generally shrill and not appreciable.

Volume, gain and EQ settings usually.

If possible, dial in a straight amp/cab patch or 2 using the monitor you use at rehearsal at the volume required. When you then play that same preset back on your studio monitors at their normal volume you will probably hear a big difference - everything sounds underwhelming.

Dial your presets at stage volume using whatever live monitoring you use is the standard solution.

Thank you all guys for your responses. I guess I still have to learn a lot :-(

I have to say that it is indeed microphonic feedback. I have to start positioning the monitor behind me instead of in front.
As crazy as it maybe seem for some people but I just love my Squier Classic Vibe Tele, I don't know, it just suits me. I love the neck and the way it plays. But I also understand that this type of 'budget' guitar could also be a part of the problem because of it's cheap pickups?

I also think that I use too much gain and delay and reverb and that doesn't make things better either.
To be totally honest.... I guess it's my way to blur my crappy soloing skills. Painfull to admit but true :-/

You all gave me a lot of useful advises to try, thank you for that. I will go concentrate on all those tips and tricks to learn more about getting the best sound. I feel such a dummy now...

Thanks again guys!

Cheers from The Netherlands

I place my Yamaha DXR 10 behind me about 3 feet on a tripod stand @ head level. This setup never feeds back for me & when I desire feedback ,I simply turn around & face the speaker ,then turn away from speaker when finished with it. This way you can also step away from the AX8 & still hear it on stage. This is not possible when used as a wedge on the floor. Just my two cents, hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom