How to do this in Axe-Fx III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did figure out a way to get around the muting issue by having another row with 4 filter blocks that have their bypass states controlled by the 4 Control Switches. When all the Control Switches are off, all the Filters are on. This works kind of like a traditional pedal board, if no Control Switches are engaged you have your base clean tone, switch 1 turns on a compressor, switch 2 gives a bit of gain, switch 3 gives a bit more gain by kicking in a drive and switch 4 gives a heavy distortion sound, hitting any switch again gets you back to your base clean tone.

1565699908287.png

You could do the last example with fewer blocks and grid space like this:

mMyvHAk.png

Assign CS2, 3, 4 to mixer block row levels. (Switch on = 100%)

Assign CS1 to Comp bypass, bypass mode = thru. (Switch on = Comp engaged)

Amp 1 "input select" = LEFT

Vol/pan bypass mode = MUTE

Assign CS2, 3, 4 to vol/pan bypass, balance & volume parameters. (Order doesn't matter.) When CS2/3/4 are all off the block should be engaged, balance left, volume at 10. The "on" state for each CS should put its parameter to the opposite state: block bypassed, balance = right, or volume = 0.

You could do the last example with fewer blocks and grid space like this:

mMyvHAk.png

Assign CS2, 3, 4 to mixer block row levels. (Switch on = 100%)

Assign CS1 to Comp bypass, bypass mode = thru. (Switch on = Comp engaged)

Amp 1 "input select" = LEFT

Vol/pan bypass mode = MUTE

Assign CS2, 3, 4 to vol/pan bypass, balance & volume parameters. (Order doesn't matter.) When CS2/3/4 are all off the block should be engaged, balance left, volume at 10. The "on" state for each CS should put its parameter to the opposite state: block bypassed, balance = right, or volume = 0.
Nice! That looks a lot better! I like how you used the volume control to mute the signal into the amp with 3 different switches!

There are 4 channels for each amp, effect etc... so I see no reason why this wont do what you want. I'm basically doing what Randy said in the second post.
Channels don’t work because I need to change more than just the amp sound, I also need to change pre amp FX like comps and drives.
Scenes won’t work because I need to be able to change my time based FX independently from my gain stages.
Using Control Switches to change amp gain staging allows me to use IA switches or scenes to change my time based FX.

Channels don’t work because I need to change more than just the amp sound, I also need to change pre amp FX like comps and drives.
Scenes won’t work because I need to be able to change my time based FX independently from my gain stages.
Using Control Switches to change amp gain staging allows me to use IA switches or scenes to change my time based FX.
Ahh yes I see.

Why couldn't you use scenes and channels? Use various channels for your FX and a switch to go between the channels. The same FX blocks on each scene with the ability to switch between them. So, if you switch a scene to change your amp etc. your FX block channels follow and you can then adjust them within the different scenes.

Say one has 4 basic sounds and 8 different effect sett8ngs. To get all combinations he'd need 4x8=32 scenes.

Controlling the basic sounds via scenes and controlling the effects via stomp box is a soluti8n.
Or vice-versa effects via scenes...

BTW 5 single effects can have 5x4x3x2=120 on/off combinations, so a stomp box setting isn't a bad idea at all. But to set it up that is tricky, the system is all about scenes, not about stomps.

I did figure out a way to get around the muting issue by having another row with 4 filter blocks that have their bypass states controlled by the 4 Control Switches. When all the Control Switches are off, all the Filters are on. This works kind of like a traditional pedal board, if no Control Switches are engaged you have your base clean tone, switch 1 turns on a compressor, switch 2 gives a bit of gain, switch 3 gives a bit more gain by kicking in a drive and switch 4 gives a heavy distortion sound, hitting any switch again gets you back to your base clean tone.

View attachment 57347
You could also avoid the muting issue by using the layout link function on the FC, if you have enough layouts available to do it.
Create 4 layouts with only 3 control switches assigned, each layout excludes the active CS and every CS press takes you to the layout where that particular CS you just pressed is not available.

Example:
You are on Layout 1 (which has CS2, CS3 and CS4) and CS1 is on.
Then you press CS2 and the layout link takes you to Layout 2 which has CS1, CS3 and CS4.

And so on..

You could also avoid the muting issue by using the layout link function on the FC, if you have enough layouts available to do it.
Create 4 layouts with only 3 control switches assigned, each layout excludes the active CS and every CS press takes you to the layout where that particular CS you just pressed is not available.

Example:
You are on Layout 1 (which has CS2, CS3 and CS4) and CS1 is on.
Then you press CS2 and the layout link takes you to Layout 2 which has CS1, CS3 and CS4.

And so on..
That is another good way to do it!

BTW I really appreciate the people who have thrown in their suggestions! There is some great stuff I wouldnt have thought of without this knowledge!

anyone know when the AxeFx IV is dropping? As far as the size whether it be 2,3 or 4 spaces, unless your adding more CPU Power, I think its a bad idea to add a power amp. Too many have invested in that already and are happy with their Friedman Wedges or Matrix Element Power amps. If it is slated to come with a built in power amp then I won't be purchasing one unless you offer the same model without a power amp for those who don't need one.

oh by the way, I've been a member since 2014 but haven't posted in ages. Was not able to retrieve my prior info. No big deal.

anyone know when the AxeFx IV is dropping? As far as the size whether it be 2,3 or 4 spaces, unless your adding more CPU Power, I think its a bad idea to add a power amp. Too many have invested in that already and are happy with their Friedman Wedges or Matrix Element Power amps. If it is slated to come with a built in power amp then I won't be purchasing one unless you offer the same model without a power amp for those who don't need one.

Why did you bump a nearly year old thread to ask that?

Why did you bump a nearly year old thread to ask that?
Since I live by the credo that there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers, I find by you answering a question with a with a question just a sophomoric attempt at being rude, Personally I find you boring. Can anyone else answer the simple question besides the aforementioned?

Since I live by the credo that there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers, I find by you answering a question with a with a question just a sophomoric attempt at being rude, Personally I find you boring. Can anyone else answer the simple question besides the aforementioned?
You've bumped an old dead thread to ask completely unrelated questions that none of us can answer (only Fractal can answer them, and they won't), and then you have a response like that?

What kind of response were you expecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom