How to do 4CM with the Axe-Fx 3 as the amp?

luckymethod

Inspired
I'm trying to set up my Axe Fx as a 4CM AMP, but I'm not getting the right sequence of things and all the guides I could find are written from the perspective of someone trying to use the Axe with an external amp, not as the amp itself. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Maybe I’m not understanding but wouldn’t this just be an easy case of Axe -> Power Amp? You could easily control the “FX Loop” by putting effects after the Amp block.

Are you trying to use external effects with the Axe? If so, I’d go effects -> Input 1 -> Amp block -> Output 3 -> effects -> Input 3 -> Output 1 to Studio Monitors. Or effects -> Input 1 -> Amp block -> Output 3 -> effects -> power amp/cab.

Right, but without some information this would be a graphic starting point so you can be helped.

So, you are trying to simply add effects/pedals outside the Axe and implement them in you preset?

correct, I want to use an external pedalboard with a send/return loop and put drives in front of an Axe Amp and then the pedal's reverb after, then come back and use the Axe output to the power amp.

p.s.: I realize it's thoroughly unnecessary, I'm doing it simply because my real amp is currently out and wanted to demo something to a friend but I'm doing something wrong and it's not working.

The Axe FX is not an am, you need a power amp or power speakers.

Ok let's get it out of the way, I'm not dumb.

I have a power amp connected to the Axe. The equivalent of the amp to cab connection for me would be Output 1 that goes to my FRFR.

1613420317471.png

You would place your amp/cab where you want it to be hit. Out 3 (in this case) goes to your pedal input and input 3 comes from your pedal output.

Is this what you are trying?

Ok let's get it out of the way, I'm not dumb.

I have a power amp connected to the Axe. The equivalent of the amp to cab connection for me would be Output 1 that goes to my FRFR.
I did not say that you are dumb but wrote:“Axe Fx as an amp“
And I’m obviously not the only who did not understand what exactly you want.

To split external effects around the amp block, you'll need two FX loops. Your chain should be something like:

IN1 - (pre-amp blocks) - OUT3 IN3 - Amp - Cab - (post-amp blocks) - OUT4 IN4 - OUT1

Your pre-amp pedals should then go between Output 3 and Input 3 and your post-amp pedals should go between Output 4 and Input 4.

Another option would be to omit the OUT3 and IN3 blocks and run your pre-amp effects in front of the Axe III's instrument input instead.

dry pedals > Axe input 1 > Amp model > cab model > Axe output 3 > wet pedals > axe input 3 > FOH

Kind of a waste if you ask me. You could do this same thing with the FM3 on a pedalboard.

you're welcome
let's keep the passive aggressive stuff to a minimum. your answer was pretty condescending considering I stated my intention before (and frankly there's no need to correct my aim even if in your mind I'm trying to do something stupid...). If you really feel the need to have the last word here, be my guest, I'm done with this.

If you don't want to use any AXE FX pedals before your amp block then I think your chain should be:

Guitar-Pedal board-AXE FX guitar in- Amp Block- Out 3- Post amp effects-Input 3- your main out to power amp and speakers.

Obviously you could use a different loop to and from the AXE FX, just remember whichever one you use make sure to turn up the output on the front of the AXE FX. I made that mistake once. Couldnt get something to wark and didn't have the output volume turned up.

Plug your guitar into your pedalboard and decide where the pickoff point will be, typically the last pre-amp pedal. From that pickoff point, route to input 1 on the Axe FX. On the grid, go IN 1 to AMP to CAB to OUT 3. Connect OUT 3 on the Axe FX to the input on the first post-amp pedal and then route the output of the last post-amp pedal to input 3 on the Axe FX. Back on the grid, separate from the prior blocks, go IN 3 to OUT X where X is your normal output to your FRFR/power amp/monitors/etc. As others have said, turn up OUT 3. You are now emulating a traditional pedalboard wired up 4CM to an amp, the only difference being you aren't emulating an actual FX loop on the amp (which is a good thing in my opinion).

If your pedalboard is something like a Helix or some other multi-fx, your routing options obviously increase. Just use the same layouts as above and remember that IN 1 on the Axe is the amp input, OUT 3 is the amp "send," and IN 3 is the amp "return." A helix, for example, the cabling would be Guitar to Helix Guitar In, Helix Send 1 to Axe In 1, Axe Out 3 to Helix Return 1, and Helix ¼" out to Axe In 3. You would have to route appropriately on the helix.

I have done this with my old pedalboard and it works great.

I'm trying to set up my Axe Fx as a 4CM AMP, but I'm not getting the right sequence of things and all the guides I could find are written from the perspective of someone trying to use the Axe with an external amp, not as the amp itself. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

axe4cbl.jpg

Notes:
1. Make sure to set your input sensitivities, particularly INPUT 3 where your boosts are most likely to hit, with your loudest effects ENGAGED otherwise you might clip the Axe's inputs when you do engage them.
2. make sure to max your OUT 3 and OUT 4 volume knobs fully clockwise as those outputs are designed for unity gain at max.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom