How To Convert Presets From Stereo To Mono?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I want to make sure all my presets are mono. What settings do I need to change to convert them from stereo to mono? I have an Axe-Fx II Mark I.

As an example, how would I convert a preset like factory preset 375 - Diamonique Rain.syx from Stereo to Mono?

I'm going to verify that my presets are mono by running them through a Correlation Meter and Vectorscope in my DAW.

If the info I'm looking for is already documented, please share the links. If the documentation doesn't exist, once I figure this out, I'll add it to the Wiki.

I've done some searches and the best info I've found so far is below:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...lr-are-my-settings-right.109646/#post-1311990
  • Check your reverb width, rotary width, and any phase reversal switches, common in delays, when you run L+R.

Mono or stereo: Effect blocks and mono/stereo output: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...stereo#Effect_blocks_and_mono.2Fstereo_output
  • Flanger, Chorus and Phaser are set to mono by default. Use the parameter LFO Phase to switch the effect to stereo.
  • Everything before an Amp block or Drive block will be summed to mono. To keep a stereo signal before the Amp block stereo, use two Amp blocks (Axe-Fx II only), use Input Select and Balance to make each block handle one side of the signal.
  • When placing a Cab block at the end of the grid, the output signal will be summed to mono, unless the Cab is set to Stereo mode or when using two mono Cab blocks in parallel. When a Cab block is set to Stereo mode but followed by a mono effect such as Drive, the resulting signal is also summed to mono.

Audio topics: Phase cancellation: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Audio_topics#Phase_cancellation
  • To avoid phase cancellation when running your rig in mono:
    • Don't use (or bypass) the Enhancer (ENH) block in Classic Mode.
    • Disable the parameter Phase Rev in the Delay block.
    • Use Output Mode Copy L > R instead of Sum L+R.
    • Don't use Micro Delay in the CAB block.
    • Avoid Chorus types such as "80s".

Attachments

• 375 - Diamonique Rain.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
when changing presets from Stereo to Mono, in addition to the change to Mono, sometimes you have to compromise on the overall sound or effect.

for example, if a Preset is mostly a "mono" preset to begin with, but has a panner effect, to make that mono, you simply remove the pan effect. so that's a simple change, but the preset is definitely not at all like it was before. it's now just a simple amp/cab sound. so keep that in mind.

for me, i do either of 2 things.

1) keep the output of the Axe set to Stereo, but simply use only one side/output. this is of course mono. you have to determine if the missing right side "data" is important, and for me it usually isn't, even if a chorus is in stereo, for example. where it can matter is any hard pan effect - part of the signal will actually drop out since it is missing, therefore any Pan effects basically turn in to Tremolo effects as the volume decreases and increases. also anything hard panned that is part of the tone or effect might be missing, such as a hard panned "U2" delay, or a hard panned distortion amp on the right, with a clean amp panned to the left - you'd only get the clean tone.

i don't program any hard panned presets, or i know about them and don't use them when i'm running mono. it'd be just like using 2 amps all the time, but just showing up to the gig with 1 some day - it's obvious that your 2nd amp won't make any noise (because it isn't there).

2) set the Axe output mode to Sum L+R. this typically works no problem, but can cause phase cancellation and strange sounds. this usually only happens again when you program hard panned left/right amps or effects.

so basically, don't pan anything hard left/right and you might be ok when summing to mono.

i personally do the 1st option above all the time. nothing to reprogram and no settings to change. if i need stereo, i plug in 2 cables. if i need mono, i use one. regardless, many PA systems are wired in Mono, so you need to know that your presets sound how you want - or compromised to your preference - when running mono.

Last edited:
After a recent post about summing L+R I started doing it. For me though I am only using 4 fx that are stereo a pitch and delay blocks panned hard right/left and rotary and verb with echo spread at 100. These 4 sum just fine. That is cause I don't invert one side to widen the spread.

I want to make sure all my presets are mono. What settings do I need to change to convert them from stereo to mono? I have an Axe-Fx II Mark I.

As an example, how would I convert a preset like factory preset 375 - Diamonique Rain.syx from Stereo to Mono?

I'm going to verify that my presets are mono by running them through a Correlation Meter and Vectorscope in my DAW.

If the info I'm looking for is already documented, please share the links. If the documentation doesn't exist, once I figure this out, I'll add it to the Wiki.

I've done some searches and the best info I've found so far is below:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...lr-are-my-settings-right.109646/#post-1311990
  • Check your reverb width, rotary width, and any phase reversal switches, common in delays, when you run L+R.

Mono or stereo: Effect blocks and mono/stereo output: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...stereo#Effect_blocks_and_mono.2Fstereo_output
  • Flanger, Chorus and Phaser are set to mono by default. Use the parameter LFO Phase to switch the effect to stereo.
  • Everything before an Amp block or Drive block will be summed to mono. To keep a stereo signal before the Amp block stereo, use two Amp blocks (Axe-Fx II only), use Input Select and Balance to make each block handle one side of the signal.
  • When placing a Cab block at the end of the grid, the output signal will be summed to mono, unless the Cab is set to Stereo mode or when using two mono Cab blocks in parallel. When a Cab block is set to Stereo mode but followed by a mono effect such as Drive, the resulting signal is also summed to mono.

Audio topics: Phase cancellation: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Audio_topics#Phase_cancellation
  • To avoid phase cancellation when running your rig in mono:
    • Don't use (or bypass) the Enhancer (ENH) block in Classic Mode.
    • Disable the parameter Phase Rev in the Delay block.
    • Use Output Mode Copy L > R instead of Sum L+R.
    • Don't use Micro Delay in the CAB block.
    • Avoid Chorus types such as "80s".

One thing I found. Set the input of the cab block to left (or right) instead of stereo. Not absolutely positive, but I do perceive a difference.

Thanks everyone for the info. I didn't get too far with updating my presets last night because I have ADD and lost track of time having fun trying out all the updated amps.

I did find a really cool free VST plugin to use for checking if a preset is stereo or mono. It has a Vector Scope and Phase Correlation meter. It's made by Flux and called Stereo Tool v3 The Complete Stereo Imaging And Analysis Tool. You can download it here: http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewares/stereotool-v3

If you get errors about the graphics, you need to update your video card drivers.

Back
Top Bottom