How To: Controlling Modifiers in the Axe Fx II with Cubase/DAW

Darklord

Controlling Modifiers in the Axe Fx II with Cubase

Hi there.

Maybe this could be useful for someone else, so I post here my results.
This is my first "How To", so if you have any corrections or hints to improve it, let me know…
Also I hope it is understandable, as my mother language is not English. If there are any mistakes, feel free to correct my sentences.

There are many pros or cons about controlling a modifier from a daw other than done by a real expression pedal, but that is to everyone’s own taste/attitude, and not part of this How To. This should only be an info in how setting it up, for those who want to do it in that way.
For me it always was something I wanted to find out, because first there is only one connector for one expression pedal on the axe fx2, and as, with our band, we are nevertheless using a pc with Cubase for our clicktrack and some backings like Intros, it is a comfortable way to also control the axe fx and don’t need a pedalboard on stage.

I control the axe fx via a standard midi cable connected to the midi out ports of our firewire interface, but it is also achievable with a direct usb connection from the axe to the pc. It is just a matter which connection is selected in the track as midi out.
I’m working on windows7 64bit with Cubase 5.5.3, but should be similar to other versions and platforms. Maybe the menus are named a bit different.

So with the great hints and help from the user “stratamania”, I got finally the clue how to set up Cubase to also control expression parameters, for example to control the wah, volume, pitch (whammy), delay times, and whatever is controllable with a standard expression pedal (or two, or three, or…).
Again big thanks to stratamania! :encouragement: :cheerful:

So here we go:

Your firewire interface or midi interface, or whatever you use, should be set up normally to work correctly with your daw.
For a direct connection of the axe fx to the daw, you can set it up as described in the first part of stratamania’s blog:
Automating Axe FX Pre-set Changes With Cubase | Stratamania's Music Blog

Now, when set up correctly, create a midi track.

On the left side, select as Output the midi output port of the interface you use (red). For those who use the axe fx directly via usb, select here the axe fx port. The input doesn’t matter, as long as you won’t write/send midi data into Cubase. Also check that the midi channel number is set to the same as your axe is (green). If the axe is the only midi unit attached to your daw, you can also select omni or all, but it is safer to select the according channel number.

expressionmidi1.jpg

Now rename the track to your likings, so that afterwards you still know, what this track is.

With the same track, you can also send program changes, bank changes (for presets above #127) and change scenes.
For doing that, just create a midi part in this track, then open Midi/Open List Editor. There you can change banks (select Controller in the upper row (green), CC 0 (BankSel MSB), data 2 (blue right) is the bank#), presets (Program Change, data 1 (blue left) is the preset#), or scenes (Controller, CC 34 (Breath LSB), data 2 is the scene#). With the Pencil, place a marker anywhere inside the bar (purple), where the change should happen, and then write the number of the preset in data1, or the scene/bank in data2. (orange)

expressionlisteditor1.jpg

So far you can now change programs and scenes with Cubase, but we want also the controllers to work/be controlled.
Now, there are two ways to do this. I prefer the following:

Activate “Read” (the R button besides the W button in your midi track), It should now be green (green). DO NOT ACTIVATE WRITE (W would then be red), as with this, your finally drawn controller data will be overwritten! Now on the left side of the track there is a brown surface. When you place your mouse cursor in this surface in the left bottom corner (as seen in the picture in track MIDI 02), an arrow appears (red). Click it, and a “sub track” will open, named as Velocity (brown).

expressionlisteditor2.jpg

Now click on the button named Velocity, and a menu opens.

expressionlisteditor3.jpg

Select “more…”, and a new Parameter window opens. Select the + in front of “All CC”, and a list of all available CC’s opens. There, select the CC of the “Expression pedal” you like to simulate. For example the standard in the Axe Fx2 is #16 for External Control 1 (standard used for wahwah), 17 for ext ctrl 2, and so on until 27 for ext ctrl 12. So you could control 12 “Expression Pedals” at the same time. Btw., those are defined in the axe in the I/O – CTRL menu. (I normally leave the settings in the axe standard, as it is easier to change the cc# in the daw)

expressionCC1.jpg

For my example here, I select the CC 16 as for Wah on the 1st sub-track, and CC 18 for expression pedal 3 in a 2nd sub-track. Each controller has to be in a separate “sub-track”.
To open the 2nd sub-track, just place the cursor in the left bottom corner of the 1st sub-track, and click the “+” (blue circle). (To close a sub-track click the “–“ when the cursor is placed in the upper left corner of the sub-track you want to close ;) ).
Select the 2nd CC accordingly.

expressionCC2.jpg

Now, as the “R” button is still on, you can right-click in the right side of the track and select the pencil tool. With this, you can draw any curve in the according sub-track, to simulate the movement of an expression pedal. By selecting the arrow-curser, you can move the drawn “dots”, if they need an more exact placement.

expressionCC3.jpg

For the expression pedal simulation only, it is not needed to create a midi-part above, the part is only needed for the program, scene and bank change, as described earlier.

As you hit play in your daw, you should now see the dot in the controller page of the axe moving up and down, according to your drawn curve.

Hope this works and is clear enough. Otherwise feel free to ask. ;)

When all errors are corrected (espetially the language ones), I can also do a Pdf of it, to send it via pm or email or similar to interrested users.

Well done, and well written.

Thanks for mentioning my help and taking the idea I gave you to a good result. From what I can see the tutorial looks fine. :encouragement:

Another idea. If the track where the expression automation is was set to write, and set to receive midi in, with an expression pedal plugged into the back of the Axe FX it should be possible to record expression movements rather than drawing them in. Then set the track to read for later use.

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, hope it helps.

I didn't have time to go online for several reasons till now, sorry for that.

Thanks yek for the wiki link.

So, stratamania, this is a good idea, and shurely can be done. I'll pursuade this, and will add the results in the tutorial. Probably just a thing of configuring the pedal or controller in the daw. Now that I finally also have a pedal, I can try this, as soon as the rehearsal room/studio and equipment is finally installed and ready again (rearranging things and moving soon).

As soon as I have everything together and figured out, I'll do a pdf of it.

(P.S. stratamania, ok, so the beer really seems not so far away. Unfortunately I couldn't do it for the duch, and will also not be able to be on the german axe fest, even if I really liked to be there very much. So much interessting themes to discuss and learn!
But we'll find a way/time ;-)

Hey guys.

So have done and can automate wah with no worries using CC16

How can i apply this to other effects? Delay time/mix EQ (to sweep a band) etc.

Getting a little lost in the abyss here haha.

Is there a list for what CC17-27 cover?

Any and all help would be great.

Thanks alot.

Dan

Hey guys.

So have done and can automate wah with no worries using CC16

How can i apply this to other effects? Delay time/mix EQ (to sweep a band) etc.

Getting a little lost in the abyss here haha.

Is there a list for what CC17-27 cover?

Any and all help would be great.

Thanks alot.

Dan

Hi Dan

In the User Manual there is a list of the CC# on page 183. There you can see which cc controls which parameter.

For the Delay, it is best to assign an external controller to the function you want, f.ex. for the time you can take for example external control 5 and assign it. Then you can control with the cc# 20 (which is for ext.contr.5) the time parameter.
As for the eq, I don't think that this is controllable, as you can only controll the parameters you can assign a modifier to, or which is in the list in the user manual.

Hope this helps

hey guys, quite late to the party ;)) but am starting to delve into this topic.
My FM9 gets all the midi commands from the DAW (logic in my case) - BUT: is there a way to say control the pitch shift BOTH with PEDAL1 and an External Control (Midi CC #01 for example)?
What I want to achieve here is that the pitch will be controlled by the DAW, but, if in case I want to use the pedal (say it's the same preset but not receiving any midi data) I still can control it with my pedal.
As far as I have tried this I can assign the pitch control to a controller, in my case "External Control 1" and in the setup menu have to tell my FM9 that External Control 1 is MIDI CC#01. It can't be the Expression Pedal 1 at the same time....
Am I missing something?
hope this thread is still alive and someone can give me any advice ..
cheers!
Ziggy

You can use two separate sources for a modifier. But to do what you want, you'd have to use the "Src1 X Src2" option and make sure that the one that is not in use is turned all the way up, which is pretty awkward.

A better way to do it would be use to use a single source like you're doing now, but connect a midi controller (not an expression pedal) to the midi track input in your DAW and turn on track monitoring. That way the controller would override the midi coming from the track (or vice versa) instead of combining with it.

You can use two separate sources for a modifier. But to do what you want, you'd have to use the "Src1 X Src2" option and make sure that the one that is not in use is turned all the way up, which is pretty awkward.

A better way to do it would be use to use a single source like you're doing now, but connect a midi controller (not an expression pedal) to the midi track input in your DAW and turn on track monitoring. That way the controller would override the midi coming from the track (or vice versa) instead of combining with it.
wow that was fast, thank you!
I've googled and searched the manuals for the "Src1 X Src2" option but haven't found anything precise, could you tell me what you mean by that? I don't know how two assign two sources for a single modifier...
I am using the USB over MIDI functionality now, but for live, would you recommend a dedicated midi "hub" such as the Bridge6 by PirateMIDI? this would take expression pedals as well and would maybe solve the issue in a way that you described as the preferable solution...

I'll add one more thing.. instead of using the "auto-engage" function to bypass the pitch effect when rocking the pedal, it would be nice if you could assign that "auto-engage" (and disengage) to switch to a different channel in the pitch block (and back).
that way channel A could be controlled by EXTERNAL CONTROL 1 with MIDI CC#01, but when rocking the pedal the channel would automatically switch to channel B, which in turn would be controlled by the pedal. would be genius.

FM9 doesn't have dual source for modifiers... Axe Fx III only :(

Rather than combining two modifiers, it would work better to use midi input. A Bridge6 should work fine, or something like this. Either way, you would still send midi to the FM9 over USB. In other words, your midi controller would connect to your DAW, not to the FM9.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ntroller-expression-pedal-midi-data-generator
Or better yet, the AudioFront Expression IO... About the same price and has 4 TRS jacks for up to 4 expression pedals (or up to 8 switches).

Has a lot of programming options, too.

Back
Top Bottom