How to control volume level across 4 scenes

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
In the AX8 I need to control the output level in 1 patch, using 4 scenes and 2 amps.
Amp 1 scene one is fine.

What is the best way to individually control output volume of scenes 2,3,4?
In the amp block if you change the Output level, it changes for all scenes 2,3,4.
Thanks.

Scene controllers attached to the output mixer or the amp level control. Attach Scene 1 or 2 controller to the output volume to control it per scene.. Another option is a volume block. I use the output mixer or the amp though to save CPU.

In the AX8 I need to control the output level in 1 patch, using 4 scenes and 2 amps.
Amp 1 scene one is fine.

What is the best way to individually control output volume of scenes 2,3,4?
In the amp block if you change the Output level, it changes for all scenes 2,3,4.
Thanks.

TO SET THE MAIN OUTPUT LEVEL FOR A SCENE:

The main output level of your preset can be programmed into every Scene.

1. 1 Load the desired Scene.

2. 2 Press PAGE to change from the Footswitch (“FS”) page to the “LAYOUT” page.

3. 3 Turn knob “D” fully clockwise to select the Output Mixer.

4. 4 Press EDIT.

5. 5 NAV to the MAIn fader and use “A” to set it as desired.

TO SET THE MAIN OUTPUT LEVEL FOR A SCENE:

The main output level of your preset can be programmed into every Scene.

1. 1 Load the desired Scene.

2. 2 Press PAGE to change from the Footswitch (“FS”) page to the “LAYOUT” page.

3. 3 Turn knob “D” fully clockwise to select the Output Mixer.

4. 4 Press EDIT.

5. 5 NAV to the MAIn fader and use “A” to set it as desired.

Wow this looks like a neat tip! I will have to check it out further.
It looks like the slider is what sets and remembers the volume level in each scene.

The problem with using the output mixer is that it is applied at the very end of the chain, so if you have delay and/or reverb trails, they change level immediately, as you change the scene. This sounds a bit abrupt. Also, if you use the looper, the loop level will change, when you change the output level.

I would balance the two amps using the level knob in the amp block, and then I would probably use a filter block to set the levels on the two remaining scenes. Another approach is to attach a scene controller to the level knob in the cab block(or whatever block, you have immediately after the amp block). That gives you perfect control of the scene levels, and you don't run into reverb/delay/looper issues.

The problem with using the output mixer is that it is applied at the very end of the chain, so if you have delay and/or reverb trails, they change level immediately, as you change the scene. This sounds a bit abrupt. Also, if you use the looper, the loop level will change, when you change the output level.

I would balance the two amps using the level knob in the amp block, and then I would probably use a filter block to set the levels on the two remaining scenes. Another approach is to attach a scene controller to the level knob in the cab block(or whatever block, you have immediately after the amp block). That gives you perfect control of the scene levels, and you don't run into reverb/delay/looper issues.

Thanks for your insight! I realize there are many ways to do this.
What I hope to find is something simple that will work on all my presets with multiple gain stages.
Your suggestion about using a scene controller on the cab block sounds like the best suggestion yet.
May give that a try tomorrow.

So I gave this a try. Now using Scene controller 2 to control volume for my output level.
The real cool thing about this when using Axe Edit, both scene controller % levels for all scenes are shown on the Controllers > Scene Page. It made it very easy to see and tweak the Input Drive slightly (SC1) as I set up SC2 for my Volume levels across 4 scenes.
Works great!
Thanks Smittefar!

Scene controllers attached to the output mixer or the amp level control. Attach Scene 1 or 2 controller to the output volume to control it per scene.. Another option is a volume block. I use the output mixer or the amp though to save CPU.
Thank you muudrock

Thank you Smittefar, I'll try this way,too.

So I gave this a try. Now using Scene controller 2 to control volume for my output level.
The real cool thing about this when using Axe Edit, both scene controller % levels for all scenes are shown on the Controllers > Scene Page. It made it very easy to see and tweak the Input Drive slightly (SC1) as I set up SC2 for my Volume levels across 4 scenes.
Works great!
Thanks Smittefar!
Thanks scottp, I'll try your way,too.

My mixer isn’t physically boosting up. The meter shows it’s 3db but doesn’t work… any ideas?

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom