How to connect my electric guitar (without the Axe FX) to CLR NEOs

Hello all,

For a light busking rig I would like to take with me my electric guitar (I have ones with passive and active pickups), Small Pedal Board and just one Atomic CLR Active NEO Wedge (I also have a small 4 channel Mackie Mixer !).

My research seems to indicate that I will need some sort of DI box and or Guitar Preamp between the Pedal Board and Mixer.

So will this work - Guitar to pedal board to DI / Box / Preamp to Mixer. Mixer out using XLR to the input 1 of the CLR.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to take my Axe FX XL, MFC 101 and two NEO CLRs to a 2 hour busking gig. Trying to keep it light.

Smallest and lightest usable options might be something from Sansamp, or the Atomic Amplifire if you want better tones. Old PODs...

You'll need something that acts like a guitar amp, or at least a guitar preamp. A DI box won't be very pleasant.

And I have to ask: if you're busking, how are you going to power that CLR?

I'm kind of onboard with Rex here.

While I'm sure the CLR sounds great, if I were busking I'd be looking in to something battery powered like a Mackie Freeplay or something similar. Then however you were planning to power the CLR, use that for the Axe-FX. :)

This should probably be moved to Rigs and Routing.

The AX8 would make a great companion to the CLR.

If you want to go real light... Pignose. ;-)

Tech 21 pedals would be a good option, but as others have said, a smaller battery powered loudspeaker system would make far more sense.

Even with the Neo speakers the CLR is a bit big/heavy to haul around, not to mention quite expensive, and likely far louder than one would want, on top of the power supply issues

I have a Zoom MS-50G. Very small, battery powered, and it has amp modeling and cab simulation plus FX built in. This is the smallest most portable backup unit for Axe-FX/AX-8 that I know of.

I have used it for clean tones and it is OK. Cheap too.

I
You'll need something that acts like a guitar amp, or at least a guitar preamp. A DI box won't be very pleasant.

And I have to ask: if you're busking, how are you going to power that CLR?
I shall use a Marine deep cycle battery with a micro inverter to power the CLRs.

I

I shall use a Marine deep cycle battery with a micro inverter to power the CLRs.
That should work, provided the micro inverter's output is clean enough to not cause too much noise in your CLR.

You'll still need some kind of amp simulator, though.

Back
Top Bottom