How to connect Axe-Fx II XL+ to Studio Monitors! Newbie here...Please HELP!

guitarair

Hello dear all Axe-Fx fanatics,

I recently bought an Axe-Fx II XL+ . I am going to run this through a pair of studio monitors that I am going to buy soon. I think I am going to buy a pair of PreSonus Eris E8. But I don't know what kind cables I should buy for using my Axe-Fx. My main purpose is to play the guitar at home, and also maybe for recording sometimes. I have some queries. I will truly appreciate all your answers.

1. How can I connect my Axe-Fx directly to the studio monitors? Do I need my laptop if I go direct? If I connect directly to the monitors, in this case do I have to make my Axe-Fx work as an audio interface? I know I sound stupid. But I beg your pardon, I am a pure newbie.

2. On the rear panel of the Axe-Fx I see balanced output 1 XLR ports and unbalanced TRS ports. Which one should I use for the best performance? Balanced XLR or Unbalanced TRS?

3. If I go for balanced XLRs, shall I use two XLR cables like left XLR out of the Axe-Fx goes to the left studio monitor's XLR input and the right XLR goes to the right monitor's XLR input. Should it be like this? Please help.

4. After connecting my Axe-Fx to studio monitors directly, can I connect my Axe-Fx to my laptop by a USB cable for using Axe-Edit?

5. And if I want to use my Axe-Fx for recording as well, what should I do for both recording and playing guitars through my studio monitors at the same time? What kind of cables do I need for all these purposes? If anyone can give me the pictures of all the cables I need, it will be a great help.

Sorry for asking too many questions. I will be forever grateful to all of you if you can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Any cable will work fine in the typical short cable run home setting. Balanced really only is needed for really long runs, but as it doesn’t hurt and doesn’t cost much more, I’m sure plenty of people use it for everything.

All you need for recording is a USB if you use the Axe as an interface.

Download the manual, it goes into great detail how to hook up a lot of different options

Any cable will work fine in the typical short cable run home setting. Balanced really only is needed for really long runs, but as it doesn’t hurt and doesn’t cost much more, I’m sure plenty of people use it for everything.

All you need for recording is a USB if you use the Axe as an interface.

Download the manual, it goes into great detail how to hook up a lot of different options
Thanks a lot for the advice. Since all cables will work fine for short cable run home setting. I think I will go for the XLR cables. So that means I need two XLR cables for the two studio monitors, right? Output level 1 (two XLR ports L and R) of the Axe-Fx to Studio monitors' XLR inputs, right? In this case is this XLR cable perfect (shown in the picture)? And will this USB cable be OK for using the Axe-Fx as an audio interface and for connecting to my laptop? Thanks again.

Attachments

• images_1565738368408.jpeg
    images_1565738368408.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 13
Hi and welcome to the Axfx community!

When you just want to jam with your AxeFx no laptop is needed, plug directly into your PreSonus (active/powered) monitors- XLR is preferred due to extra noise shielding but as lqdsnddist stated above short runs are fine.

A USB cable is all you will need for recording and for using Axe Edit.

Definately read through the manual and the Axfx Wiki.... Have fun!

Thanks a lot for the advice. Since all cables will work fine for short cable run home setting. I think I will go for the XLR cables. So that means I need two XLR cables for the two studio monitors, right? Output level 1 (two XLR ports L and R) of the Axe-Fx to Studio monitors' XLR inputs, right? In this case is this XLR cable perfect (shown in the picture)? And will this USB cable be OK for using the Axe-Fx as an audio interface and for connecting to my laptop? Thanks again.

Double check that your monitors have XLR inputs, some lower end stuff only has RCA and 1/4th.

Keep in mind you can get adapters that convert XLR into 1/4th” as well, but usually better to just buy whatever you can plug right in.

I have Presonus Scepters and they have 1/4th TRS and XLR

Double check that your monitors have XLR inputs, some lower end stuff only has RCA and 1/4th.

Keep in mind you can get adapters that convert XLR into 1/4th” as well, but usually better to just buy whatever you can plug right in.

I have Presonus Scepters and they have 1/4th TRS and XLR
Thanks again. I already checked. PreSonus Eris E8 monitors have balanced XLR inputs. So that means I don's need the XLR cables with adapters. Wow you have Scepters? High end PreSonus. Do you play guitar with your Axe-Fx through these monitors? If yes, I would love to hear your experience.

I can't afford to buy Scepter, but I am actually trying to choose between PreSonus Eris E8, Yamaha HS8s and JBL LSR308. Which one would you suggest? I have heard good things about all of them, especially Yamaha HS8, but this is slightly more expensive than the others. So I might be going for a pair of PreSonus Eris E8. Feel free to advice me.
I have another option, a pair of Headrush FRFR-108. Which is you think is the best option between a pair of Headrush FRFR-108 and a pair of studio monitors for home practice? Sorry I am asking so many question again.

Attachments

• Eris E8-05.png
    Eris E8-05.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi and welcome to the Axfx community!

When you just want to jam with your AxeFx no laptop is needed, plug directly into your PreSonus (active/powered) monitors- XLR is preferred due to extra noise shielding but as lqdsnddist stated above short runs are fine.

A USB cable is all you will need for recording and for using Axe Edit.

Definately read through the manual and the Axfx Wiki.... Have fun!
Thanks a lot for your response. It will help me a lot. Anyway, which option would you suggest between running Axe-Fx through a decent pair of studio monitors or running it through a pair of Headrush FRFR-108 for home practice? If you suggest studio monitors, which one do you think I should choose between Yamaha HS8, PreSonus Eris E8, JBL LSR308 and KRK Rokit8? I heard good things about almost all of them, especially about Yamaha HS8. But its a bit costlier than the others. What do you think about PreSonus monitors for using Axe-Fx. Thanks in advance :)

I would go for the jbl they have been around forever and I have 305s. Idk about my ears I haven’t compared with anyone but they sound pretty flat to me. Once I get the levels right in the daw it’s crisp and clean and true to what it should sound like on other devices like the tonal palette stays the same on cell phone vs Bluetooth speakers. My BT speaker adds a ton of bass, cell phone sucks etc. you want flat eq btw on your monitors. I can tell that much.

So I don’t have a big mass of monitor variety. Also they just came out with the mk2 speakers and white special editions look l33t

I would go for the jbl they have been around forever and I have 305s. Idk about my ears I haven’t compared with anyone but they sound pretty flat to me. Once I get the levels right in the daw it’s crisp and clean and true to what it should sound like on other devices like the tonal palette stays the same on cell phone vs Bluetooth speakers. My BT speaker adds a ton of bass, cell phone sucks etc. you want flat eq btw on your monitors. I can tell that much.

So I don’t have a big mass of monitor variety. Also they just came out with the mk2 speakers and white special editions look l33t
Hey man, thanks for your two pennies. But you got me more confused now haha...I have come across hundreds of comments, Youtube comparison videos and reviews on JBL LSR 308, Yamaha HS8 and PreSonus Eris E8. But Yamaha wins most of the time. But I don't think I can afford to buy Yamaha as they are a bit pricier than the others. So then I started to find the reviews between PreSonus and JBL. Even there is a direct comparison Video on YouTube 'PresSonus Eris E8 vs JBL LSR308'. Most poeple say both of them are very good monitors. JBL's Image control waveguide is amazing. I know JBLs have been around for a while. But most people said PreSonus is better than JBL. I am confused lol

Hey man, thanks for your two pennies. But you got me more confused now haha...I have come across hundreds of comments, Youtube comparison videos and reviews on JBL LSR 308, Yamaha HS8 and PreSonus Eris E8. But Yamaha wins most of the time. But I don't think I can afford to buy Yamaha as they are a bit pricier than the others. So then I started to find the reviews between PreSonus and JBL. Even there is a direct comparison Video on YouTube 'PresSonus Eris E8 vs JBL LSR308'. Most poeple say both of them are very good monitors. JBL's Image control waveguide is amazing. I know JBLs have been around for a while. But most people said PreSonus is better than JBL. I am confused lol
Yeah I got it for the waveguide. I got them for 300$ after watching for sales on eBay for a year. It is kind of splitting hairs and your preference of brand loyalty. Since we all need to stretch our bucks I would have no problem swapping mine out for a wad of cash. Just don’t get the krk rokit they are highly colored in bass frequencies.

Your reading is correct they are all close I went with brand I knew. I’m sure eris is good I just never saw them at guitar center to test them whereas I saw the JBL lsr everywhere. Good luck

It took me a year to pull the trigger on JBLs so yeah. It’s torture.

My brother has the Presonus Eris monitors and he's very happy with them. Like Exitetard said, I think you're splitting hairs at this point. Buy the best you can buy and avoid the KRK Rokits.

Yeah I got it for the waveguide. I got them for 300$ after watching for sales on eBay for a year. It is kind of splitting hairs and your preference of brand loyalty. Since we all need to stretch our bucks I would have no problem swapping mine out for a wad of cash. Just don’t get the krk rokit they are highly colored in bass frequencies.

Your reading is correct they are all close I went with brand I knew. I’m sure eris is good I just never saw them at guitar center to test them whereas I saw the JBL lsr everywhere. Good luck

It took me a year to pull the trigger on JBLs so yeah. It’s torture.
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your valuable comment. I will choose between JBL nad PreSonus. By the way I have another option - Headrush FRFR-108. Musical instruments shops in my country don't sell any FRFR speakers. One one shop is selling Headrush FRFR-108. Unfortunately they don't have Headrush FRFR-112 and other FRFR speakers. So which one would you suggest between a decent pair of 8" woofer studio monitors oa pair of Headrush FRFR-108. Basically my purpose is home practice. Thanks again

No matter what monitors you get you’ll stop caring in a week and simply use them as a tool.

It’s like a TV, after a bit you just watch the programs and don’t waste any more time thinking if you should of gone Sony instead of LG etc because a review said it had better greens etc.

I’ve owned lots of monitors, some great, some just decent, but I couldn’t pick any out with a blind listen, though if you put two side by side you can tell they are different, not worse or better, but often just different

Here is the thing though.... your not going to have 3 pairs set up and go back and forth everyday. You’ll use what you bought, learn how they translate, and simply use them for their intended purpose.

I totally get the analysis paralysis thing, but it doesn’t really make a big difference in the end. Anything will sound pretty darn good honestly.

My brother has the Presonus Eris monitors and he's very happy with them. Like Exitetard said, I think you're splitting hairs at this point. Buy the best you can buy and avoid the KRK Rokits.
Thanks for the response and for encouraging me to opt for PreSonus. I actually wanted to go for Yamaha HS8s but the problem is they are a bit more expensive than JBL LSR308 and PreSonus Eris E8. I won't but KRKs for sure. BY the way what do you think about Headrush FRFR speakers if I compare it with studio monitors? I will predominantly use AXe-Fx for home practice. Musical iNstrument shops in my country don't sell any FRFR speakers. There are not so many shops in fact. But only one shop is selling Headrush FRFR-108. What is your sugegstion between a pair of studio monitors and a pair of Headrush FRFR-108 for using Axe-Fx at home?

Another question is I practice guitar with backing tracks. Should I play the backing tracks and my guitar through the same speakers or I should play the backing tracks on separate speakers?

No matter what monitors you get you’ll stop caring in a week and simply use them as a tool.

It’s like a TV, after a bit you just watch the programs and don’t waste any more time thinking if you should of gone Sony instead of LG etc because a review said it had better greens etc.

I’ve owned lots of monitors, some great, some just decent, but I couldn’t pick any out with a blind listen, though if you put two side by side you can tell they are different, not worse or better, but often just different

Here is the thing though.... your not going to have 3 pairs set up and go back and forth everyday. You’ll use what you bought, learn how they translate, and simply use them for their intended purpose.

I totally get the analysis paralysis thing, but it doesn’t really make a big difference in the end. Anything will sound pretty darn good honestly.
Thanks for explaining this so nicely. You totally make sense. You are removing my worries. What do you think about a pair of Headrush FRFR-108 compared to a decent air of studio monitors? A shop nearby is selling Headrush FRFR-108. But unfortunately they are not letting me test those speakers. I have another query. I mostly guitar guitar with backing tracks. Should I play the backing tracks and my guitar through the same speakers or I should play the backing tracks on separate speakers?

Play through the same speakers. I also find that it's best to close axe edit when recording.
thanks for the advice. Which option do you think will be better between using a pair of Headrush FRFR-108 and a pair of decent studio monitors for home practice with Axe Fx? Another suggestion which studio monitors will be better between PreSonus Eris E8 and JBL LSR308? Thanks again

If you’re only playing at home, studio monitors will get you better sound for your dollar. If you’re playing out and need the volume, go with the Headrush.

Back
Top Bottom