How to connect Axe-Fx II XL+ to Studio Monitors! Newbie here...Please HELP!

If you’re only playing at home, studio monitors will get you better sound for your dollar. If you’re playing out and need the volume, go with the Headrush.
Thanks a lot for your response and advice. I totally understand your suggestion. But still I am asking you again as confusion is bothering me like anything - so you mean for home practice studio monitors will give me better sound than the Headrush even if I play the headrush at low volume? Although I basically will be playing at home (in my bed room), but still I can play relatively at higher volume than usual volume level people usually play at in a bed room. So what I mean is if I play both the headrush and studio monitors at the same bedroom volume level, I will get better sound (better sound in the sense - overall sound quality, clarity, power and flat response) from the studio monitors compared to Headrush sound?

Last question - which one do you think will be better between PreSonus Eris E8 and JBL LSR308? Is 8" woofer studio monitor good for using AxeFx? Thanks again :)

In general, studio monitors are designed for accuracy. The very cheapest studio monitors aren’t so accurate, but accuracy is a primary goal. With monitors intended for stage use, the primary goal is to be loud enough to be heard on a loud stage. On a stage, accuracy does you no good if the monitor isn’t loud enough to be heard over the drummer and bass player. So if you don’t need gig volume, studio monitors are a better bet. They’re not as loud, but they can still get loud enough to piss people off. :)

As to your question about Eris E8 vs. LSR308, I have no opinion. I haven’t tried either of those speakers.

In general, studio monitors are designed for accuracy. The very cheapest studio monitors aren’t so accurate, but accuracy is a primary goal. With monitors intended for stage use, the primary goal is to be loud enough to be heard on a loud stage. On a stage, accuracy does you no good if the monitor isn’t loud enough to be heard over the drummer and bass player. So if you don’t need gig volume, studio monitors are a better bet. They’re not as loud, but they can still get loud enough to piss people off. :)

As to your question about Eris E8 vs. LSR308, I have no opinion. I haven’t tried either of those speakers.
Aww man, so sweet, prompt reply and very well explained. You totally removed my confusion :) I am definitely opting for a decent pair of studio monitors. I asked about the comparison between the JBLs and PreSonus' because these are the only decent studio monitors available in my country. Yamaha HS series is also available as well, but they are pricier than these monitors. So this is last confusion left in me lol

By the way, I am big Dream Theater and John Pterucci fan, so I want guitar tones like him. As a newbie Axe-Fx user it's hard for me to make advanced tones like him. I am tweaking and learning everyday though. I saw some companies sell presets of John Petrucci tones. Shall I trust them/ Or Can you suggest a reliable presets sellers that sell Dream Theater tones? Sorry for asking too many questions. You seem to be very helpful.

Reactions: Rex
Aww man, so sweet, prompt reply and very well explained. You totally removed my confusion :) I am definitely opting for a decent pair of studio monitors. I asked about the comparison between the JBLs and PreSonus' because these are the only decent studio monitors available in my country. Yamaha HS series is also available as well, but they are pricier than these monitors. So this is last confusion left in me lol

By the way, I am big Dream Theater and John Pterucci fan, so I want guitar tones like him. As a newbie Axe-Fx user it's hard for me to make advanced tones like him. I am tweaking and learning everyday though. I saw some companies sell presets of John Petrucci tones. Shall I trust them/ Or Can you suggest a reliable presets sellers that sell Dream Theater tones? Sorry for asking too many questions. You seem to be very helpful.
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

I know that Fractal has Eris monitors in use, among other monitors, and they have been pleased with them. That is not a true comparison, but it's the best information I have.

As for Petrucci, check Axe-Change. There may be something there that pleases you. If you really want to learn, study what gear he uses, and have a go at building your own preset to match it. :)

Hi All, Regarding this topic, I have this question:
Is there a difference between playing though a pair of monitor vs using just one connected to the Axe Fx? considering that my intention is just practice and casual playing at home with with the best possible sound out of the Axe Fx.

If that is the case, I can get the Yamaha HS8, and down the road if I ever decide to start recording and mixing I can just get the second one..

Is there a difference between playing though a pair of monitor vs using just one connected to the Axe Fx?
The difference is stereo vs mono. That’s it. How important is that to you? It’s a personal decision based on personal desires.

Back
Top Bottom