How to connect AXE FX II with pedals

Hi guys,

I'm trying to hook up AXE FX II with some OD/DS pedals in "front" (in AXE FX II loop to be more precise)... Since I'm not actually sure how to connect and I don't have too much experience with AXE FX, I was going with following approach. This is my signal path:

Guitar --->>> AXE FX II (front panel input) --->>> AXE FX II (FX send socket L) --->>> Effects Gizmo (input) --->>> OD/DS pedals hooked up in respective loops --->>> Effects Gizmo (output/CS5) --->>> AXE FX II (FX return socket L) --->>> Output1 to PA system.

rack_front.PNG

rack_rear.PNG

In AXE Edit patches are created with following "template":

AXE_Edit.PNG

I've noticed that unless I have FXLoop block activated, my OD/DS section in AXE FX loop is bypassed?! So do I need these Send/Return blocks in AXE Edit?
Is there any additional things to set in AXE FX I/O menu? For example Copy L -> R or something else?! Basically any suggestions of hooking up these pedals with AXE FX are more then welcome!!!

MIDI question:
I would also like to use 5-pin MIDI cable to control Effects Gizmo unit (EG). What do you suggest? Connecting it with AXE FX (in rack) or with MFC-101 foot controller. Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!
BR

I've noticed that unless I have FXLoop block activated, my OD/DS section in AXE FX loop is bypassed?

Correct. If you bypass the FX Loop block, that external gear won't be included in the signal path.

So do I need these Send/Return blocks in AXE Edit?

Those are for routing signals between grid locations only. They can be used to place more than 12 blocks in series, among other things. They aren't actually needed in your example as the remaining blocks could be rearranged to only take up 12 columns.

would also like to use 5-pin MIDI cable to control Effects Gizmo unit (EG). What do you suggest? Connecting it with AXE FX (in rack) or with MFC-101 foot controller. Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

I don't think the MFC-101 can send to the MFC/FASLink and MIDI Out ports at the same time. So, you'd probably want (or need) to connect the Axe-FX MIDI out/thru to the Effects Gizmo.

Hey @Bakerman and others,

I'm sorry for bothering you again, but this is driving me nuts. Probably I'm missing something, so please help!!!

With the connections as described at the beginning of the post I have "issues" with the level of signals L2, R2 in VU meter of AXE FX II.
When the FXLoop block is active as it should be (at least that is what I'm trying to accomplish), signal chain wise, that is before the Amp block :
1_AXE-edit_FXLoop_position1.PNG

following VU meter display shows that the levels L2, R2 are not even close being equal to L1, R1 (physical output2 is set to 100%):
2_before_cab_block_VU.PNG

Therefore I have to drive my pedals almost all the way (level wise) to retain the unity gain, resulting in pronounced buzzing/hiss etc.
On the other hand, when the FXLoop block is active after the cab block the situation is somewhat different, but of course this is not
something I want signal wise. I need my drive section in front of the Amp.
3_AXE-edit_FXLoop_position2.PNG

... VU meter shows equal or even higher levels of L2, R2 comparing to L1, R1:
4_after_cab_block_VU.PNG

Am I doing something wrong in settings of AXE FX II (I/O menu or somewhere else)? Should I increase the level of FXLoop block?
Or should I maybe try different approach of connecting the gear?

Please help!

If you haven't already done so, turn Out 2 level knob to 100%, and set "Output 2 Boost/pad" in I/O menu as high as possible without lighting the Out 2 Clip LED during your loudest playing. This should minimize noise and provide unity gain when In 1 is shunted to Out 2 (FXL). It's normal that the utility meter Out 2 level will still be low after this.

It's possible to increase the level at Out 2 using the FX Loop block's row 1-4 level controls or "main" slider. Just understand that this would be a higher level than your original guitar signal, which might not always be helpful.

Out 2 Mode only matters if you're making the signal stereo before Out 2, which might not happen often. Sum L+R could be preferable sometimes, like with effect types that have delays/voices panned to various positions by default.

Set Input 2 mode to "left only".

My goodness, sorry guys for being irrelevant here was just reading this thread trying to learn something and just when I feel I'm getting decent at axefx-ing, I feel like my brain is about to explode thanks @Bakerman lol

:)

Thanks @Bakerman for taking the time and providing useful INFO!

Btw I was able to set the "Output 2 Boost/pad" to +9db, without clipping the Out2. Overall picture looks better now (the VU meter shows
same levels as without the boost though). Also the "Output 2 ECHO" I've set to "None". I suppose this is the way it should be for the setup I have?!

1590474951858.png

Back
Top Bottom