How to choose a Mesa Boogie for sweet blues? Mark V 90 W?

Piing

Axe-Master
I am looking for a basic sweet tone like the Walter Trout video below. I am confused with the nomenclature of the Mesa at the Axe-FX, and most of the threads and presets related to the Mesa are for chugga-chugga

I've tried USA Lead with the settings below, but there is a kind of metallic overdrive ring at the highs. It is not sweet.
1667631605695.png

What about the recommended IR? Now I am trying Factory1 #162 1x12 Bludo 121D. But still not happy.

I am using a Strat with a Fender CS Fat'50 neck

HI @Piing

No doubt you've already searched, but just in case you missed it
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=59624

Gain - Full on
Master - 8:30
Pres - 2:15
Trebble - 3
Mid - 8:30
Bass - 9:30
I am looking for a basic sweet tone like the Walter Trout video below. I am confused with the nomenclature of the Mesa at the Axe-FX, and most of the threads and presets related to the Mesa are for chugga-chugga

I've tried USA Lead with the settings below, but there is a kind of metallic overdrive ring at the highs. It is not sweet.
View attachment 110735

What about the recommended IR? Now I am trying Factory1 #162 1x12 Bludo 121D. But still not happy.

HI @Piing

No doubt you've already searched, but just in case you missed it
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=59624

Gain - Full on
Master - 8:30
Pres - 2:15
Trebble - 3
Mid - 8:30
Bass - 9:30

Yes, I've seen these settings. Thank you. They refer to the Mark V, but there is no Mark V at the machine. I've tried them with the USA Lead but it sounds weak

BTW. I've found a very pleasant tone using a RG550LTD with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker neck instead of the Strat (USA Rythm1 slightly pushed with the Griddle Cake with drive at 1.7). Pickups, pickups!! :D

Last edited:
I own a MKIII and a MkV, I'd gladly let Cliff model my MkV but I live on the other coast... That being said, theoretically anything from the Mesa mark line in history should be feasible from the MKV. It is, yet it will be a bit tighter than the older amps IMO, which doesn't really help in what you are looking for, it also looks like he is playing an older Mesa combo. So IMO rather than taking a USA lead and trying to clean it up, take a cleaner setting and dirty it to taste. He has very little grit in this tone. I have some great fat settings but they are set to my guitars, and it really shouldn't be too hard. I would think you could get what you are looking for out of quite a few of them.

Balancing "gain" and "overdrive" as well as using the fat switch is key on Mark's IMO. Here's a quick little preset that sounds alright with my Strat.
Thank you very much, Leon. The Fat Switch is key, indeed. Thanks for the tip

Here is a preset with what I have so far. Your preset using the USA Lead Mid Gain Bright is on Scene 2 (I've copied/pasted your blocks). My favorite so far is the USA Lead (Scene 3)

Attachments

• Bluesy tone.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
Rhythm II on the Mark IV is also great for that kind of SRV type tone. Turning on the Presence Shift on the lead channel with the Presence set low helps to sweeten things up too.

View attachment 110735

I have had a Mark V for years and some of the Modes on it are super cool. If I was going for a
Walter Trout tone I would choose the Tweed mode on the Clean channel, and use the Tube
recitification option from the back panel.

Too bad we don't have access to ALL that a Mesa Mark V offers in the Fractalverse. :(

You do have access to a bunch of tweeds though it would be cool to have a mk1 or kingsnake... those are sick amps. Tone King too feels like it's missing on the Axe.

The Mk1 with its fat thick tone on the MkV is one of my favorite all time amps.
Not quite sure how to get that on the Axe Fx 3.

Yeah the Mark I has been on the wish list since the Axe II days. It's got it's own flavor for sure as far as Boogie's go.

I hate to be that guy, but meh. I don't hear anything real special about that tone, or his playing for that matter.

I'll see myself out...
It's okay to be that guy but there is something special about boogie cleans, even if they're only slightly different from blackface fenders. I think we're learning there's a lot of magic in that .01% difference in this current beta cycle too.

Back
Top Bottom