How to change rosewood LP to sound like a maple strat\tele?

chrisjnyc

Power User
I have been trying to add more and more slide into my songs, but I cant get a great slide tone from my main LP... like I can from my strat. It's just a little dark and muddy. Even with the coil tapped humbuckers. I have been trying to dial down the input gain and a lot of low cut to get it in the ball park. Any more ideas?

A few ideas:

I'd go through the various drives with the input gain down all the way and just shape the tone, boosting the treble and bass to suck out the mids, to kind of simulate the higher resonant frequency of a single-coil; don't boost the level of those pedals either, in fact, experiment with the drive level pretty low. Or, try just really messing with the input EQ in the amp block until you get that pick attack to get more of that stratty sound. I used to play an LP only, and I would go the drive route to get as close as possible. I don't know which drive would get you there in the Axe FX, but there are so many with wildly different tone controls, I'm pretty sure you'd find one that would fit the bill.

One VST option would be to try Blue Cat's Re-Guitar. That's designed to replace the tone of your pickups with those of a different design altogether. You can try a free trial.

Then there's the hardware option: the Keyztone EXchanger. I think there's discussion of that on this forum, so some people may be able to offer their experience.

Then of course, lastly, maybe trying another kind of humbucker that's designed for a good split sound, like some of the ones made by Rio Grande Pickups, e.g. But there are others out there. I'd be extremely keen to try ZexCoil TriBuckers. Maybe you can find an example of someone using them for slide. All the clips I've heard of their single-coils are fantastic.

Best of luck on your quest!

Could add a push-pull pot with a coil tap. There's quite a few humbuckers ala Suhr Thornbuckers that have excellent split tones.

You could maybe go down the EQ route. Add a PEQ block and try some of the values below. It might bring out those frequencies you need for the Strat sound.

87008AA8-B698-42EE-A552-B9CBD10A6815.jpeg

You Paul is never going to deliver a convincing Tele sound - they're just so wildly different. Even my Hamer with the Fluence pickups in the single coil voicing doesn't really get close. It just sounds like a brighter, clearer Les Paul. Great sound, but I'd never mistake it for a Tele.

Your Strat will obviously get you the sound you need.

You Paul is never going to deliver a convincing Tele sound - they're just so wildly different. Even my Hamer with the Fluence pickups in the single coil voicing doesn't really get close. It just sounds like a brighter, clearer Les Paul. Great sound, but I'd never mistake it for a Tele.

Your Strat will obviously get you the sound you need.
Kinda. A strat is not a tele.

Back
Top Bottom