How to bring in a Whammy without Auto Engage

This is GREAT! Thanks Yek. I use a spring loaded Mission pedal for my whammy and formant. I was always a tad
bothered by the latency and or "click" especially noticeable in the whammy.

It is now smooth as butter....I'm so happy!! Now my Les Paul can have a Floyd....lol.

As I was adjusted the modifier, I said to myself......"these people who figure this stuff out are BRILLIANT"

Thanks again for sharing to the whole Fractal community.

This works so well and is so smooth, that, if we had a mix control on the Wah, I don't think i'd have any need for the Autoengage feature any more.

Actually, thinking a bit more on this - there is a way to do it with the Wah as well:

- Set up the Wah in parallel.
- disable the usual AutoEngage.
- Make sure the wah is no longer bypassed.
- Add a modifier to the LEVEL control and attach it to the same source pedal as used for WAH control.
- In this modifier use the same parameter values as described in this thread for MIX on the Whammy effect.

I just tried it and it works great - very smooth, no on/off hiccups in my Wah pedal now. Doesn't sound like having Wah in parallel if affecting the tone somehow but I'll have to listen more to know for sure.

Last edited:
Put a Pitch block in line, set to Classic Whammy. Source = Global. Bypass Mode = Thru.
Assign the Control parameter to your pedal's external controller.

Assign the same external controller to the Mix parameter. Set Mix at zero.

In the modifier menu do this:
Start: 40
Mid: 100
End: 55
Slope: 0
Scale: 10
Offset: 100.
Hi Yek, are you setting the MIX AND CONTROL parameters to the same modifier settings?

Doesn't sound like having Wah in parallel if affecting the tone somehow but I'll have to listen more to know for sure.

It will be different from hearing only the wah output like you would in series. To get that you'd have to lower the parallel non-wah level to 0 when turning up wah level.

Hi Yek, are you setting the MIX AND CONTROL parameters to the same modifier settings?

The control modifier should be however you'd normally set it. Or maybe try adjusting scale/offset so pedal from something like 5 to 100% moves pitch from 0 to 100%. (This way you could have the mix change while the wet signal shift stays at 0--not sure if that would sound better or even make an audible difference.) In any case you want the mix but not pitch to change quickly near heel-down position.

Reactions: yek
I have often wondered what the "Whammy" effect is. Does anyone have a link to hear what this does ? Is it typically used for leads ?
thanks !

here's a good example (and a tune I'm learning so I 've been trying to get a good whammy thingy going)
will try this tonight
thanks Yek :)

I will have to try this because I could always hear the auto engage turning in and off. Then I tried it another way I couldn't even remember and it added latency because I had it always on somehow. I will give this a go.

It will be different from hearing only the wah output like you would in series. To get that you'd have to lower the parallel non-wah level to 0 when turning up wah level.

With heel down I should not hear any difference from a series Wah since the Wah level would be at 0 (nothing added to the baseline signal in parallel to the Wah). With Wah engaged, agreed I should hear the Wah effect somewhat louder in parallel with level fully maxed (20) by the modifier than in series with level at 0 but I'm not hearing a difference between the two methods on the hi-gain patch I'm using (maybe on a clean patch - I'll try that). This expected volume boost could be compensated for perhaps, by setting the level modifier to max out at a reduced value. I'm gonna noodle with that. Fiddling with this, I see now why there is no mix parameter on Wah though as it's not really a separate effect added to the input signal (i.e. like delay, chorus...) - it seems more of a transformation of the block input signal from what I can with my novice expertise.

Last edited:
Hey you didn't give this method the correct name:

"THE GOLDEN WHAMMY"

Now if only WAH had a mix ;-)

That sounds like it might be a hint of something good coming down the pipe. I won't ask any specifics though for fear of putting a "Whammy" on it.

Now if only WAH had a mix ;-)

Yes would be great! don't like the auto engage for wah. Tried to the 'toe method' (putting the auto engage at toe position) but still don't like it. The auto engage kicks in to soon for me even with the slow setting.
Tried to work around this by putting the wah in scene 2 replacing/bypassing the vol block (from scene 1). So I only need one expression pedal for wah and volume. This works but then you need to press scene 2 for your wah which is not always desirable. Having a mix for your wah would eliminate the auto engage problem. Maybe next FW update?

Matt explained to me that this doesn't work with Wah, even if the Wah had a Mix parameter.

Anyone have a good setting they could share with me? I sometimes notice its not hitting a perfect octave up high or low unless im hitting a note at 100% velocity, as if it needs all the signal strength to reach the octave..

I have been doing this for a year or so instead of Yek's solution from the 1st post. With expression pedal in heel position you have your normal sound. Whammy kicks in as soon as you press the pedal. No auto engage. This simple method also works to engage/bypass any other effect blocks:

1) set bypass of Pitch block to THRU. Then attach the modifier to the bypass (modifier in default settings).
2) to have typical whammy 'glide' instead of it just kicking in at once: attach the control to same expression pedal as in the bypass (modifier in default settings)
3) set mix in Pitch block to 100%

It is as easy as that and it seems a little bit less work than Yek's method. Seems easier to me. Not sure if there' s any difference in the end result?

Back
Top Bottom