How to best EQ FRFR monitors?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I'll just say this plainly: I suck at dialing in EQ.

I've recently picked up a pair of EV PXM 12MP powered coaxial monitors after many years of using Xitone passive wedges with a Matrix power amp.

They sound very good but also different, as expected.

I have the EVs set to DSP mode "monitor 2" which seems to be the flattest of the modes. There is also an onboard EQ.

I know I can tweak things to make things different, both in the Fractal devices and the monitors.

What I'd like to do is get the monitors as flat as possible so that I can optimally adjust the Fractal for myself and other playback systems.

What I've created with the Xitones has pretty much worked fine but looking to maybe step it up a notch or two ;)

What methods have you used?

I learned something from Kenny Chesney’s mix guy at a Presonus event years ago that might be useful. He turned each controller up, one at a time, to hear what part of the sound that was affecting, then brought it down to where it sounded good, including cutting if there was something offensive in the sound. He then added or reduced gain to make up, then moved to the next. It took a minute or so, then the second pass just a few seconds per band.

I‘ve used this a lot, finding I make as many cuts as increases. It also works with parametric eqs by turning up, sweeping, setting the q, and adjusting. Others may offer better methods, but to the untrained fader pushers like me, it’s a good technique when a simple , single adjustment doesn’t get it.

I'll just say this plainly: I suck at dialing in EQ.

I've recently picked up a pair of EV PXM 12MP powered coaxial monitors after many years of using Xitone passive wedges with a Matrix power amp.

They sound very good but also different, as expected.

I have the EVs set to DSP mode "monitor 2" which seems to be the flattest of the modes. There is also an onboard EQ.

I know I can tweak things to make things different, both in the Fractal devices and the monitors.

What I'd like to do is get the monitors as flat as possible so that I can optimally adjust the Fractal for myself and other playback systems.

What I've created with the Xitones has pretty much worked fine but looking to maybe step it up a notch or two ;)

What methods have you used?

OK SO...the EVs mentioned. I've heard most of them have a problem where a low note at lower volumes will distort as it cuts out....the support know about this and will fix it no problem. Next I've also heard as a floor monitor at higher volume levels theres a rattle and someone solved this by opening it up and putting wooden chop stick like things to hold the casing steady. On the plus side someone said compared to CLRs these can sound extremely similar.

NOW

Xitones, I've heard nothing but praise and in fact I'm going to get one! I'm getting a 12 active wedge with a pole mount option. I'm still curious about the EVs please can you tell me which do you prefer. ALSO...while the slight majority prefer CLRs people have said the Xitones sound more like real amps which makes perfect sense I mean if your modelling an AMP and it sounds like an AMP, that's exactly what the point of the FRFR is. In fact someone even had the line graph proving the Xitones where actually flatter then the CLRs! (very interesting)

I'm greatly interested in your experience with the EV and the Xitones. Like sound quality, spread etc. I'd also like to add after listening to both CLR and Xitones I would never say either was "better" both sounded brilliant and I'm sure with a little tweaking you could get them to sound almost identical.

Thanks in advance.

I learned something from Kenny Chesney’s mix guy at a Presonus event years ago that might be useful. He turned each controller up, one at a time, to hear what part of the sound that was affecting, then brought it down to where it sounded good, including cutting if there was something offensive in the sound. He then added or reduced gain to make up, then moved to the next. It took a minute or so, then the second pass just a few seconds per band.

I‘ve used this a lot, finding I make as many cuts as increases. It also works with parametric eqs by turning up, sweeping, setting the q, and adjusting. Others may offer better methods, but to the untrained fader pushers like me, it’s a good technique when a simple , single adjustment doesn’t get it.
This.

You can train your ears by dialing up a graphic EQ and running each band all the way up and all the way down. Listen to how that changes the sound.

When you are using parametric EQ, try to get a feel for the Q. For lack of better words (English is not my native tongue), Q can make you entwine frequencies or separate them. I usually set some sensible high and low cut, (8 kHz and 100 Hz for instance) then set the midcontroles to center around 800 Hz and 2 kHz, push them a little and then sweep away with the Q‘s, using my ears as my main dowsing rod. If it sounds good and cuts through, chances are it’s good.

I've heard most of them have a problem where a low note at lower volumes will distort as it cuts out
I think this has been sorted out now. Mine bought a few months ago did not have this issue.
ALSO...while the slight majority prefer CLRs people have said the Xitones sound more like real amps which makes perfect sense I mean if your modelling an AMP and it sounds like an AMP, that's exactly what the point of the FRFR is.
Actually, it's not. The point of FRFR is the precisely amplify the input without coloring the sound. That's where the second "FR" comes in - Flat Response.

What people mean about the Xitones is that they respond a little more like a guitar cab. Whether you want that or not is something you have to decide.

I have had Xitone passive wedges for many years. They've served me pretty well.

I wanted active monitors and decided to get the EV PXM 12-MPs after all the good reviews here. I'm very happy with them as well.

My preference at this time is the EVs. I think they're a bit more flat. They also have a better angle for me when using in front facing towards me and they're smaller.

I wanted active monitors and decided to get the EV PXM 12-MPs after all the good reviews here. I'm very happy with them as well.
My preference at this time is the EVs. I think they're a bit more flat. They also have a better angle for me when using in front facing towards me and they're smaller.
I haven’t “seen” anyone set their monitors with the base the “x” in the photo…backline?
315CE721-957A-4E03-A6B5-9595E730965C.jpeg

…which if set up would put the ev logo upside down?
…just wondered if you tried it and whether you liked the angle…
i guess i like some “tiltback” but plan to face the speaker towards the audience…if that makes sense
(or is the angle the same? 😀🤪)
Thanks !!

I have a set of JBL SRX812Ps in the studio but wonder if a lighter pair like the ones you selected may be a better live option.

Last edited:
I haven’t “seen” anyone set their monitors with the base the “x” in the photo…backline?
View attachment 102481

i guess i like some “tiltback” but plan to face the speaker towards the audience…if that makes sense
Thanks !!

I have a set of JBL SRX812Ps in the studio but wonder if a lighter pair like the ones you selected may be a better live option.
I've only used mine in front of me facing back towards me. That angle works perfectly for me.

I haven’t “seen” anyone set their monitors with the base the “x” in the photo…
View attachment 102481

Thanks !!

I’ve tried them the right way up, using the side you marked, and stacked on their sides. They all sound fine. Physics doesn’t care which direction the logo faces.

I use mine behind me in small clubs. In a big space I’d either take a send from the modeler for FOH, or I’d let FOH tap off the output from the monitors and would decide if I wanted them behind me or in front after talking to the FOH engineer. Whichever way they sit I’m sure they’d sound great to me.

When you are using parametric EQ, try to get a feel for the Q. For lack of better words (English is not my native tongue), Q can make you entwine frequencies or separate them. I usually set some sensible high and low cut, (8 kHz and 100 Hz for instance) then set the midcontroles to center around 800 Hz and 2 kHz, push them a little and then sweep away with the Q‘s, using my ears as my main dowsing rod. If it sounds good and cuts through, chances are it’s good.
Goedemorgen! Your English is better than my Dutch. My ancestors spoke it before the English took over New Amsterdam....

Goedemorgen! Your English is better than my Dutch. My ancestors spoke it before the English took over New Amsterdam....
🇳🇱Dank je wel, I try my best. Nice to read you have some "orange blood" running through your veins.... :)

Mine too. I've got Dutch roots in the USA back to the 1600s and in Europe as late as the 1900s.

Why not sign sweep them to see how they look on a graph, making adjustments to the plot using the onboard EQ all while learning what the differences are to fix the EQ problem (if any) at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom