How To Be A Jerk Guitar Player In 10 Easy Steps

I think a lot of it comes from arrogance and insecurity on the part of guitarists. You see it everywhere, not just guitar. How many tube amp aficionados look down on us for playing in the digital realm?

As a personal anecdote, around 1987-88 when I was 16, I had my first guitar teacher who was guiding me through the Mel Bay Primer. I told him I was into music like Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses. He would turn his nose up (he was a gospel/bluegrass player) and proclaim that all rock guitarists have 0 talent. He went on to say that its all one chord and that rock guitarists hide behind effects.

Of course, now I know that he simply wasn't paying attention. He never listened to rock beyond a surface level. When he heard Hendrix, all he did was listen to 5 seconds and all he heard was a wall of feedback. Of course he never heard the beauty in the chord/melody styles of Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand or the scorching blues of Red House. Is Yngwie one chord? Vinnie Moore? Ritchie Blackmore? Jimmy Page? Jeff Beck? Hell, this was the 80s, a time where the rock guitar talent level was being pushed into the stratosphere!

We all have personal biases at some level, but guitar is a wonderful hobby or profession to pick up no matter your skill level. To run down other players or their styles or gear is just pointless negativity.

Great. Lol. I might not be the most objective but I don't think I'm a jerk. But this is a good thing to repost from time to time!

No. 10 Never Help Anybody. Its your sacred knowledge, don't share. Bonus points for keeping your AxeFx presets all to yourself, regardless of numerous requests. :pride:

Ha! That's not being a jerk! Lol. If you're talking about me! I help people all the time about playing the guitar. I never hold anything back. Personally I think people asking for presets is barking up the wrong tree. There's absolutely nothing special about my presets, as anyone can hear! :) I wish people were more interested in actual playing!!

You see it everywhere, not just guitar. How many tube amp aficionados look down on us for playing in the digital realm?
Well, about those guys: I don't care. There are many reasons, at least I think so, why they look down on us. I can only speculate, but some of them might be: 1) Ouww, digital stuff, computer. How can something that only understands ones and zeroes sound good? 2) Ouwww, cheap, that guy doesn't have the money to get the real deal. 3) Doesn't compare to the real deal soundwise. (In case no. 3, let's put the Axe-Fx inside a fake amp head and let's see if that guy still can make the difference.)

I do have the financial backings to buy 1-2 tube amps in the price category of a Mesa Boogie Mark V + cabs. But why should I? The Axe-Fx II is very low maintenance, costs less than one Mark V, has much more than only Mesa Boogie models and does it at least equally well; it is not heavy like a tank, fits easily in the trunk of my car and and and ...
So, about those guys, I simply don't care.

Disclaimer: I am not bashing against tube amp owners. I own an ENGL Powerball (I) myself. I am only criticising the "aficionados".

Back
Top Bottom