How To: Axe II into Apollo 8 TB

Nicely done!

I have the Apollo 8p, so I am blessed (or cursed) with 8 Neutrik mic pres. For this reason, I went digital AES/EBU to Toslink using a Hosa ODL312. A more expensive route (~$120 from sweetwater) but it leaves my mic pres open. I do like the Neve 31102 and the Eventide H910 emulations on the UAD for recording the AxeFx.

Nicely done!

I have the Apollo 8p, so I am blessed (or cursed) with 8 Neutrik mic pres. For this reason, I went digital AES/EBU to Toslink using a Hosa ODL312. A more expensive route (~$120 from sweetwater) but it leaves my mic pres open. I do like the Neve 31102 and the Eventide H910 emulations on the UAD for recording the AxeFx.
Awesome! I'm sure there are some great plug-in/Axe combos. Haven't had a chance to delve in. I have to admit that I didn't like the UAD 610b emulation at all. Having owned a hardware UA 2-610 I don't fell it came close. Unfortunately, that's the only one that came free with my Apollo. Now I know where to start, thanks!

Nice video CactusTone. There is another nice option as well that I will describe. You can use the Axe-FX S/PDIF out into the Apollo S/PDIF in.

To do this you can either clock your Apollo from the Apollo via the Clock Source setting in Console, or you skip this external clocking step by enabling SR CONVERT on the S/PDIF channel in Console. This second option allows you to run your Apollo at any sample rate you wish without digital noise or artifacts from the S/PDIF signal.

The benefit of using S/PDIF instead of analog connections is that you are eliminating the extra D/A (from Axe-FX) and A/D (from Apollo) conversion steps. So technically this will give you an even more accurate and "pristine" signal from the Axe into the Apollo. It will also reduce latency slightly due to less conversion steps.

Nice video CactusTone. There is another nice option as well that I will describe. You can use the Axe-FX S/PDIF out into the Apollo S/PDIF in.

To do this you can either clock your Apollo from the Apollo via the Clock Source setting in Console, or you skip this external clocking step by enabling SR CONVERT on the S/PDIF channel in Console. This second option allows you to run your Apollo at any sample rate you wish without digital noise or artifacts from the S/PDIF signal.

The benefit of using S/PDIF instead of analog connections is that you are eliminating the extra D/A (from Axe-FX) and A/D (from Apollo) conversion steps. So technically this will give you an even more accurate and "pristine" signal from the Axe into the Apollo. It will also reduce latency slightly due to less conversion steps.
Wow! That is excellent information! Thank you. I heard that S/PDIF could only run at 48K. Is that what the SR CONVERT fixes? I'm running at 48K, but now that you mention running the Apollo at any sample rate my curiosity is piqued. Do you personally hear a sonic improvement when running 96K or higher over 48K? Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes, the SR Convert enables real-time sample rate conversion.

It works perfectly when downsampling to 44.1. I haven't been able to get 96k to work. When I try to start Logic or Ableton at 96k the s/pdif input drops, and only a full power cycle of the Apollo brings the audio back. I'm not sure what the issue is. Honestly, I haven't tried to debug it much. My 45-year-old ears are useless past 15kHz.

I do something similar with my setup. You should add a cable from a lineout to the rear input of the axefx with a trs cable. I track a DI signal and can monitor with the axefx. This gives you the option to reamp later on, whether through the axefx or an amp. You have to set up a send on the channel where you track the DI and an aux channel with the axefx as the input. It bit more complex to setup, but I have a template I use for protools when tracking guitars and bass. This also lets me track the DI signal on preamps. A much simpler version of this would be a DI box between the guitar and axefx, but I plug my guitar into a 512c so I don't have that option

Last edited:

So my S/PDIF cable is about to arrive, and I want to make sure that I only need a single cable for this setup. Is that correct?

I don't use SR CONVERT but I do use the S/PDIF to avoid an extra layer of D/A + A/D conversion. For SR I just lock the Axe to the UAD and use the UAD at 48kHz sampling. I don't have much need to run higher rates but, when/if I ever do, the plan would be to let both devices use their internal clocks and enable the SR CONVERT function.

I'm a bit concerned that another user hasn't had success going to 96kHz, for example. I had just assumed this would work and had tucked it away for future use. :(

Back
Top Bottom