How to assign modifier to different channels?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Simple.....tring to set up FC3 for gain control. I know how to and right clink on gain in amp block. I see channels, but the range I set for say channel A, is same for all channels? I really wish you did not have to set range of the gain and would just default to range what you had. in each channel.

Way to do this? Strange as there are channels in the modifier?????

Modifiers apply to ALL channels or A SINGLE channel. They are not per channel...
That is frustrating. How does one be able to do gain control on all 4 channels of the amp with 1 pedal then? I am actually shocked this is not doable now? That and revert scene being button assignable. IMHO....

That is frustrating. How does one be able to do gain control on all 4 channels of the amp with 1 pedal then? I am actually shocked this is not doable now? That and revert scene being button assignable. IMHO....
Unless you want all of them to have the same range of values, you can't...

This could be done with two stopped triangle LFOs if you don't need the LFOs multiple controller block channels for anything particular. Select both LFO B outputs as gain sources (Src 1 + 2 operation) and have the pedal modify four LFO parameters total (B Phase and depth of both LFOs), one per controller block channel.

This could be done with two stopped triangle LFOs
Wow, thanks a lot for sharing this. I was planning to try something like this today just for fun.
There is another option with using Scene controllers, but it will require switching amp channels instead of gain. Still might work for someone!

I wonder why there is this limitation to modifiers? This seems like a no brainer to me. Controlling gain across one amp block and 4 channels with 1 pedal is something MOST would probably use I would think? I would like where you don't have to assign the values and it just rolls the range and does its thing. I am sure there are coding or cpu issues and I am just talking wishes.

It would be awesome if one of you posted a preset which demonstrates this trick using stopped LFO's, to
  • Amp1 Channel A: toggle Gain from 3 to 7.
  • Amp1 Channel B: toggle Gain from 2 to 8.
Or is that a misunderstanding?

I wonder why there is this limitation to modifiers? This seems like a no brainer to me. Controlling gain across one amp block and 4 channels with 1 pedal is something MOST would probably use I would think? I would like where you don't have to assign the values and it just rolls the range and does its thing. I am sure there are coding or cpu issues and I am just talking wishes.
Independent modifiers has been a wish going back at least to the Axe Fx II for X/Y (the predecessor of channels).

At some point after the Axe Fx III had been out we got the ability to pick one or all. So... It's been improved but not independent per channel.

I have to assume it's a very complex thing or it would likely have been implemented by now.

just for info, you can do this with controllers like RJM Masterming GT. You still need to figure out sysex messages though.

I do this with my Liquid Foot, using CC numbers. I made a spreadsheet that converts the parameter range to CC 1 through 127 so I can change the modifiers to any value, regardless of scenes.

I use the amp input boost with a control switch to turn it on/off. This lets me dial in the amount of boost for each amp channel. The one limitation/annoyance is if I turn the boost on for channel A, it will stay on if I switch to channel B or another scene. I think of it as being like a stomp box.

It would be awesome if one of you posted a preset which demonstrates this trick using stopped LFO's, to
  • Amp1 Channel A: toggle Gain from 3 to 7.
  • Amp1 Channel B: toggle Gain from 2 to 8.
Or is that a misunderstanding?
Here's a sample. Attach an expresssion pedal to external3 to adjust gain differently across 4 scenes. It's a pretty cool workaround but a bit tricky to figure out the ranges. This example has different ranges for gain on each of the 1st 4 scenes (Scene1=5->6.5, Scene2=4->6, Scene3=7->10, Scene4=8->9). Sometimes in this scenario (gain adj), I'd want the same modifier on amp level also but with different ranges - not sure the workaround would accommodate that.

Attachments

• LFOGAINPEDAL.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Thank you @sprint for taking the time and effort! I'm going to import your preset and see what it does. This is some advanced programming :D. I thought (based on the previous posts in this thread) it could be done without scenes but that seems impossible. It's not a problem per se, i'm just exploring the limits of the system and adapt.

Attach an expresssion pedal to external3 to adjust gain differently across 4 scenes. It's a pretty cool workaround but a bit tricky to figure out the ranges. This example has different ranges for gain on each of the 1st 4 scenes (Scene1=5->6.5, Scene2=4->6, Scene3=7->10, Scene4=8->9).
I'm trying this preset on FM3, and Scene 1 regulates the gain from 0 to 1.5, Scene 2 from 0 to 2, Scenes 3 and 4 don't react on changes. Trying to figure out why. Probably I misunderstood your instructions..

I'm trying this preset on FM3, and Scene 1 regulates the gain from 0 to 1.5, Scene 2 from 0 to 2, Scenes 3 and 4 don't react on changes. Trying to figure out why. Probably I misunderstood your instructions..
Hmm - sounds like you're not getting the right starting values. I made the preset on Ax3-mk1 and tested scene changes in AE only (I don't have FC) - maybe there is a difference somehow between Ax3/FM3. Could also be my preset does not match Bakerman's exact spec as I did what I thought he was describing above. I'll explain what I did below which perhaps will allow you to find the issue on FM3:

1. On the LFO pages set LFO1 and LFO2 to "Triangle", "Stop", Depth all the way CW (100 (Note - Depth is working in reverse)), and OutputBPhase all the way CCW (0). Do this on all 4 "Control" channels in the LFOs page. We'll come back to do the starting Depth/OutputBPhase settings in the further steps below - for now they are set for a range starting point of 0. Save the preset.

2. Assign ExternalX (I used 3, to which my expression pedal is attached) to LFO1 Depth, LFO1 OutputBPhase, LFO2 Depth, LFO2 OutputBPhase. Set the channel values within those 4 modifier definitions to A, B, C, and D respectively. These will affect the travel range of the LFO within each scene. For parameter ranges, make Depth 100-0 (again, note, it works in reverse), and OutputBPhase 0-100 (for now - we'll come back to these in the further steps below). Save the preset.

3. Make sure the LFO "Control" channel is set to "A" for Scene1, "B" for Scene2, "C" for Scene3, "D" for Scene4. Note - I have "PC Reset" ON for all modifiers as I want them initialize to their specific starting values at preset load, until I move the pedal connected to the modifier. Save the preset.

4. In the amp block set the starting gain values in each of the 4 channels - In my example above they are 5/4/7/8 respectively for amp channels A/B/C/D. Set the Amp channels to "A" for Scene1, "B" for Scene2, "C" for Scene3, "D" for Scene4. Save the preset.

5. Create a modifier on the Gain control and assign LFO1B and LFO2B as sources 1 and 2 respectively. Make the operation Src1 + Src2 and channel = all. The reason the 2 sources are needed (I think) is the individual LFO parm values for triangle can only get a 1/2 way range (0-5) - so the Src1 + Src2 allows for a full range (0-10).

The next 2 are the tricky bits (but not really once you get your head around the method):

6. Going back to the LFOs page, set starting values for our LFO1/2 Depth and OutputBPhase parameters within each "Control" channel. Within each channel here, we want to set out starting Gain range value by setting the parameters NOT varying in the channel via the applicable modifier: So, to get my gain range in the correct starting position, I set as follows:
  • Scene1 (LFO Control Channel1) / (Desired Gain Starting Point = 5): set LFO2 Depth to 0 (fully CCW) to get a starting point of 5 (LFO1's Depth modifier set to channel A only will adjust from there)
  • Scene2 (LFO Control Channel2) / (Desired Gain Starting Point = 4): set LFO2 Depth to 20% to get a starting point of 4 (LFO1's OutputBPhase modifier set to channel B only will adjust from there)
  • Scene3 (LFO Control Channel3) / (Desired Gain Starting Point = 7): set LFO1 Depth to 0% (gets us to a starting point of 5, and set LFO2 OutputBPhase to 36 to then get the starting point up to our desired 7 (LFO2's Depth modifier set to channel C only will adjust from there)
  • Scene4 (LFO Control Channel4) / (Desired Gain Starting Point = 8): set LFO1 Depth to 0% (gets us to a starting point of 5, and LFO2 Depth to 40% to then get the starting point up to our desired 8 (LFO2's OutputBPhaseB modifier set to channel D only will adjust from there) .

7. Now that we have our starting points set, on the LFOs page, set modifier range values as follows:
  • LFO1 Depth (ChA) - Set Range 100-70% to move Gain around between 5-6.5 on Scene1.
  • LFO1 OutputBPhase (ChB) - Set Range to 0-36 to move Gain around between 4 and 6 on Scene2
  • LFO2 Depth (ChC) - Set Range 100-0 to move Gain around between 7 and 10 on Scene3
  • LFO2 OutputBPhase (ChD) - Set Range 0-45 to move Gain around between 8 and 9 on Scene4.

So that's the gist of it I think, but maybe I overcomplicated the concept somehow in my attempt (wouldn't be the 1st time lol!) - works though - others may have a simpler solution using the same concept. Hopefully this helps to pinpoint why it's not working on others' Axfx. Below are some related screen shots with some important bits highlighted.

Starting Values:
1675790674247.png
1675790778112.png
1675790862531.png
1675791040764.png

LFO Modifiers:
1675791180075.png
1675791247362.png
1675791358379.png
1675791434499.png

Amp Block Modifier:
1675791595701.png

@sprint thank you so much for finding the time to give such a detailed breakdown. I appreciate it a lot. Will try it this week and let you know. Thank you very much!

Hmm - sounds like you're not getting the right starting values. I made the preset on Ax3-mk1 and tested scene changes in AE only (I don't have FC) - maybe there is a difference somehow between Ax3/FM3. Could also be my preset does not match Bakerman's exact spec as I did what I thought he was describing above. I'll explain what I did below which perhaps will allow you to find the issue on FM3:

The main trouble with the FM3 will be the lack of dual modifier sources. So you could get two ranges but not four with this technique.

Your settings might work but the "easy" way would be to make the B Phase range 0-90 or 90-180 (one will be correct; I can't remember where the triangle LFO starts on the Axe-FX III), then set scale to 2 for the amp gain modifier and reduce its offset until the line is within the right half of the graph (I think -100 would be the proper offset but it might be -50). When modifying LFO depth, B Phase should be 90 or 180, again depending on where the triangle waveform actually starts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom