How to adjust for guitars with different output levels

Rich G.

Experienced
I know this has to have been covered somewhere, but I just can't find it...

Is there a way to adjust the level going into a preset across the board? I'm not talking about adding a boost block to every preset I use- I'm looking for a one time turn the knob up slightly when going from a high output humbucker to a low output single coil.

I would say adjusting the input level in the I/O settings would be your best bet, based on your desired description. Just remember settings for each guitar. Or, you could make your input signal parameter of the amp block GLOBAL and adjust there as well. You would obviously have to load and link each presets input signal parameter, this will be more noticeable than adjusting the I/O settings...just a little more work to make it function across the board.

Input gain? I know your looking for a setting, but would you not just check your input signal (you know, just get the red light to flicker on the hardest hits) and adjust your input gain up a touch for the single coil guitar?

I use 3 main guitars in my show, a med output Ibanez, a low output strat, and and a med output Les Paul. I sometimes use a high output Carvin (DC with active pups).

I have taken the approach of setting my input to the loudest guitar I have and leave that set. For the most part I set up each presets for a specific guitar though.
Are you trying to get them to all act/sound the same? or don't you rather embrace the differences in the guitars and use the right tool for the job? (honest question, always curious to players mindsets... thanks)

I would say adjusting the input level in the I/O settings would be your best bet...
According to THIS tutorial, the input level is just an an adjustment for setting the S/N ratio. If I were doing this with an amp I'd add a clean boost (like the Spark mwd mentioned below).

Pinkycramps said:
Are you trying to get them to all act/sound the same? or don't you rather embrace the differences in the guitars and use the right tool for the job? (honest question, always curious to players mindsets... thanks)
My goal is compensate for different pickup levels. I still want my Tele and Les Paul to sound as they should, but I still want to hit my up front compressor about the same and I want my output levels to be about the same.

Either a separate set of presets or a volume block that can either be turned on or off depending on the guitar in use.

There are many factors that play into the solution. For example if you playing all or mostly dirty presets, then the approach would be different than for cleans.

Think of the Fractal like your real amp rig. What would you do in your real amp rig?

I don't switch guitars for the shows I'm doing now except from one electric to one acoustic so I have separate presets for the different guitars.

Back
Top Bottom