How To: Activate Tuner and Mute Output Upon Preset Change?

Jorock

Wondering if anyone knows how to do this?

I am looking to have my output muted and tuner activated autmatically when advancing to the next preset?

Additional Info:
  • this is for live use
  • each preset is a different song in the setlist, so when I advance to the next song I want to start that preset muted and with tuner activated
  • purpose of this is I often have to switch instruments between songs, unplug/switch wireless etc and want this as an additional safeguard against sending any noise out to Front of House
  • would be ideal if I can control which presets start out this way, as sometimes I have the same guitar on for a couple of songs and therefore this is not needed

How are you controlling the AxeFx? This would be easy to do via MIDI on preset load.

You could also get the same mute state by using a volume block towards end of chain that’s turned to zero and then just turn that off when you’re ready to play (or vice versa with the output block). Obviously you’d still need to access the tuner manually if you wanted tune up.

Wondering if anyone knows how to do this?

I am looking to have my output muted and tuner activated autmatically when advancing to the next preset?

Additional Info:
  • this is for live use
  • each preset is a different song in the setlist, so when I advance to the next song I want to start that preset muted and with tuner activated
  • purpose of this is I often have to switch instruments between songs, unplug/switch wireless etc and want this as an additional safeguard against sending any noise out to Front of House
  • would be ideal if I can control which presets start out this way, as sometimes I have the same guitar on for a couple of songs and therefore this is not needed
This isn't exactly what you want to do, but...

I think using the tuner on/heel down function will get you close. And, it'll work regardless of preset.

I use that feature a LOT!

How are you controlling the AxeFx? This would be easy to do via MIDI on preset load.

You could also get the same mute state by using a volume block towards end of chain that’s turned to zero and then just turn that off when you’re ready to play (or vice versa with the output block). Obviously you’d still need to access the tuner manually if you wanted tune up.

Well so it's the FM3... I have an AxeFx3 and the feature set is largely the same in this domain. I am controlling the presets increment/decrement with the onboad switches. Using a Morningstar MC6 to change scenes

Well so it's the FM3... I have an AxeFx3 and the feature set is largely the same in this domain. I am controlling the presets increment/decrement with the onboad switches. Using a Morningstar MC6 to change scenes
Any reason why you don’t want to use the MC6 to control presets? You could set up the MIDI commands to activate the tuner on.

It would probably require some redundancy in programming as you’d have to set up Songs/Presets on both the FM3 and MC6 but that’s an option that would meet your needs. If you don’t change set lists or songs often (or the song pool is small) it wouldn’t take much to maintain.

Any reason why you don’t want to use the MC6 to control presets? You could set up the MIDI commands to activate the tuner on.

It would probably require some redundancy in programming as you’d have to set up Songs/Presets on both the FM3 and MC6 but that’s an option that would meet your needs. If you don’t change set lists or songs often (or the song pool is small) it wouldn’t take much to maintain.
Yeah I currently am running the MC6 firmware that pulls data from the AxeFX and am liking having it control 6 scenes. That said I may experiement down the line but I don't have the time to do all that programming right now only to find out that I might not like it. Just need it working for summer festival season.

Try this.
1. in the Setup menu, (Owners manual page 68), set the default scene to load as scene 8.
2. In scene 8 use a Scene Midi block which sends midi instructions to turn the tuner on.
3. Either have the scene 8 output volume set to zero, or choose the setup option to mute output when Tuner is on (Manual page 65).
4. In scene 1 use a Scene Midi block to turn the tuner off.
5. Connect the Midi Out and Midi In sockets with a short cable.

When you press “next preset” the preset loads, scene 8 engages, and sends midi messages to turn the tuner on. When you press “scene 1” the tuner is turned off.

Personally I find it simpler to use a volume pedal, and engage the tuner when the volume is zeroed.

Back
Top Bottom