How to achieve a warm/ringing on sustained notes???

kartman

Inspired
I'm really sorry as there have been a bunch of this sort of thread recently. I've been playing a lot of Double Verb clean tone lately and I just add a bit of COMP, PEQ and REV. This weekend I heard a guy playing real Fender tube amp and he was getting a "warm, harmonic ringing" out of sustained notes as he applied a bit of vibrato. Sounded awesome.... :)

He seemed to be just plugged into the amp... absolutely nothing fancy going on. Shouldn't be fundamentally too far off my basic patch.

Being new to AxeFX... where should I try tinkering to maintain the basic clean tone I've got while trying to get the preset to "feedback" just a little bit. I'm not really looking for distortion... just a bit of ringing.

yup, all about volume/interaction with the guitar

I love when the basic recommendation is "turn it up"... :D I appreciate the quick response and I'll try tonight.

In the interest of keeping me out of the doghouse.... if there is any way to get the AxeFX to simulate this effect, I'd be interested in exploring that too. There are times when I'm playing late at night at low levels or even with headphones. I know simulated is just that and not a good substitute for the real thing though... just wondering!

I love when the basic recommendation is "turn it up"... :D I appreciate the quick response and I'll try tonight.

In the interest of keeping me out of the doghouse.... if there is any way to get the AxeFX to simulate this effect, I'd be interested in exploring that too. There are times when I'm playing late at night at low levels or even with headphones. I know simulated is just that and not a good substitute for the real thing though... just wondering!

In a limited way, by boosting frequencies in front of the amp block.

Start with a GEQ block in front of the amp block and experiment with the different frequencies to see what they sound like.

Just a thought also, since it's a clean tone, remove or severely lower noise gate if you have it engaged.

he was getting a "warm, harmonic ringing" out of sustained notes as he applied a bit of vibrato.

I don't know what kind of sustain you mean, but very important is to develop a good finger vibrato which makes the tone sustain.
Here is a short clip from the weekend with a Fender Brownface 6G12 preset and I like the sustain and warm tone of it, especially on the Neck-Pickup.

If this will help you I can post tomorrow the preset when my Axe is on the PC again....

...if there is any way to get the AxeFX to simulate this effect, I'd be interested in exploring that too.
You can't accurately simulate the effect of room volume. It's all about acoustic feedback from the speakers to your guitar. That feedback is full of phase and frequency differences that help make the sound rich and complex.

Sounds great fromthebark as Pete Thorn is an amazing guitarist but I thought the op was looking for a clean Fender tone with sustain...

Here is a short clip from the weekend with a Fender Brownface 6G12 preset and I like the sustain and warm tone of it, especially on the Neck-Pickup.

If this will help you I can post tomorrow the preset when my Axe is on the PC again....

Please point me to the patch, for sure... I really like that tone. Thanx for all the replies. Message received about room volume and interactions with the guitar to get the ringing.

The tone I was originally going for is a bit more warm/saturated/fuzzy... not distorted/clipping... it was kinda like there was a blanket tossed over the cab. But, on the vibrato/sustained notes, the note would almost crescendo a bit as it started to ring. The guy was playing some slow to medium tempo Mark Knopfler style stuff. Sounded awesome and made me want to run home and play! :)

Hi kartman, here is the clip: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Brownface Concert 6G12 - by Black Bitch
and it doesn't sound like a blanket tossed over - I know this problem and you might nedd to tweak a littele with Bass, Middle andTreble to suit your guitar and set up. The basic preset was made by Paco, he did some andvanced tweaking and I don't know what he did but it's a great pereset to start from and make the sound to your liking. I recorded quiet a few songs with that preset and allways some slight tweaking to suit the song I was recoreding.

That's what the perset sounds like recorded with Garage Band:

Edit: I forgott to mention, the PEQ block is only when I play with my Matrix Q12a's - for recording or any other FRFR set up I don't use this PEQ block - this PEQ block was made by Paco only to bring the matrix Q12a more alive...

Last edited:
My first thought is technique.. then a good guitar that's well setup. You can really separate a good player from a great player when it comes to really expressive and dynamic playing straight into an amp set fairly clean. Great touch becomes really evident (or not).. And volume, as already mentioned. Some amps will bloom a bit (even set for a clean tone) depending on the circuit and how much you have them turned up.

I love this type of tone and it's something I shoot for always.. not that's it's easy to get. I find a great guitar is the first step to getting there.
Just my worthless 2 cents..

Back
Top Bottom