How the grid and effects loop works

Hi all
it’s my first post so hopefully this isn’t a stupid question.
I have an ultra, which I’m finally getting great results from. In the beginning I wasn’t so sure as I only use the setup for gigging and I always found the sound to be much less impressive than my Mesa combo. I think I have found the route of the problem but I would like to understand the signal routing which causes the issue.
I use grid line 2 with a cab sim at the end to go to output 1 for the pa. I then tap off before the cab to the effects loop on line 3 so I can send signal to my power amp for my cab. The problem is when I add the effects loop block I’m getting a change in sound through output 1 which I’m guessing is the tapped signal blending with it. I can remedy this by going to the mix page in the patch layout and panning line 2 left and line 3 right, then running output 1 cable from the left output (of output 1) and output 2 cable from the right output (of output 2). I would just like to know why this is necessary as I assumed the effects loop was it’s own stereo output or do the 4 grid lines relate to the two stereo outputs ie line 1 and 2, output 1 left and right, line 3 and 4, output 2 left and right.
I hope this makes sense and that someone could enlighten me. I have been otherwise unable to pinpoint the answer online.
Cheers

The problem is when I add the effects loop block I’m getting a change in sound through output 1 which I’m guessing is the tapped signal blending with it.
i assume you're putting the FX Loop block in the last column. that last column automatically connects to the Output block - the tall thing on the right. that Output block is represents Output 1.

since the FX Loop block is connecting to it, you are adding a non-cab sim signal to Output 1.

you can reduce the FX Loop block level as low as possible, which will help. but ideally, if you scoot it left 1 block so it's not in the last column, it will be completely disconnected from Out 1.

most have just reduced the Level as i mentioned with success.

Back
Top Bottom