How the GORDIUS LittleGiant and Axe-FX work together.

ossandust

Hi,

I just finalized some extra functionality in LittleGiant firmware and ControlCenter editor software.
With the extended USB functionality, you now can do the following with nothing but 2 cables (one 7-pins MIDI cable plus one USB cable) :
- LG controls Axe-FX
- LG displays Axe-FX tuner info (and taptempo beat), using 2-way communication
- LG is powered from Axe-FX (phantom power through 7-pins cable)
- Axe-Edit does Axe-FX setup changes (through 1 of the 3 USB-MIDI ports of the LG) without swapping cables and without losing LG-Axe 2-way communication
- ControlCenter does LG patch changes (through another one of the USB-MIDI ports) without the need of closing Axe-Edit first.

ControlCenter has been extended with an "Axe-LG mapping tool". This allows you to define a mapping between Axe-FX setup and LG floorboard (which switches do you use for presets, which for effects, which for tuner or taptempo). After defining this mapping, it's just a mouseclick to auto-generate a full LittleGiant setup, which includes adding/removing/activating/deactivating effect blocks accordingly for each selected preset.

I made a few video's about this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNINfuyoGr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSo5w2v5-GU

While I was at it, I also created a few video's about showing the tuner info and using the Axe-FX taptempo functionality (and how to program this manually, instead of through the automated mapping tool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfH6lI766t8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8plYGHSzI/

Cheers,
Xavier

Wow. I just watched the youtube video. Great job on the enhanced features for the LG2 Xavier. As a self-professed midiot, I think even I can dig deep into the Axe-Fx foot controller integration now. I just upgraded to an Ultra from my standard, so good timing on the improvements. Can't wait to download the update.

Are you releasing a MAC Editor -- if so when?

I'd be all over this if it had an editor for the MAC

This just keeps getting better, Xavier.

The only thing missing is the MAC editor! :)

Any rough ETA on it?

Yep

MAC editor is the ONLY reason why I have been waiting on a Liquid foot .... however .. the guy at LF is beyond radio silent --- more like radio dead .... giving the impression ( I am sure erroneously and unintentionally ) that he is out of business.

Sgt.Alexx said:
This just keeps getting better, Xavier.

The only thing missing is the MAC editor! :)

Any rough ETA on it?

I know, the Mac editor..... The only reason why there is no Mac editor yet today is.... because I have been working on this Axe-LG stuff "fulltime" (GORDIUS fulltime means: part of the weekends...)
I had contact with someone who proposed to take over from me for doing the Mac editor development. But I must admit that I didn't keep in touch, simply because I didn't even have enough spare time to gather the necessary info to share. Also, this editor is sooo much "living material", changing constantly along with the added firmware features. And next thing I need to work on are these major setup extensions to finally support huge 1000-preset-setups (which will come in very handy with this Axe-LG synchronization tool btw: just reserve 384 "synced" presets for your Axe-FX, and you still have plenty left for controlling other devices simultaneously). So to cut a long story short: involving a second person today wouldn't be very productive, since he would need to wait for me all the time, and do a lot of wasted work because of simultaneously changing firmware... The only thing I promise today is that I will be buying a Mac one of the coming weeks (any suggestions anyone?), and I will be looking in detail to the different multi-platform development environments, and finally make a choice for that too. Then it will be simultaneous firmware/editor development for "some" weeks. Once I have actually started development, I will share my progress in some way - maybe just create a project on http://www.pivotaltracker.com for interested people to keep an eye on the status.

... unfortunately I would not purchase one without an editor for the Mac.

Good luck with the MAC software development

ossandust said:
I know, the Mac editor..... The only reason why there is no Mac editor yet today is.... because I have been working on this Axe-LG stuff "fulltime" (GORDIUS fulltime means: part of the weekends...)
I had contact with someone who proposed to take over from me for doing the Mac editor development. But I must admit that I didn't keep in touch, simply because I didn't even have enough spare time to gather the necessary info to share. Also, this editor is sooo much "living material", changing constantly along with the added firmware features. And next thing I need to work on are these major setup extensions to finally support huge 1000-preset-setups (which will come in very handy with this Axe-LG synchronization tool btw: just reserve 384 "synced" presets for your Axe-FX, and you still have plenty left for controlling other devices simultaneously). So to cut a long story short: involving a second person today wouldn't be very productive, since he would need to wait for me all the time, and do a lot of wasted work because of simultaneously changing firmware... The only thing I promise today is that I will be buying a Mac one of the coming weeks (any suggestions anyone?), and I will be looking in detail to the different multi-platform development environments, and finally make a choice for that too. Then it will be simultaneous firmware/editor development for "some" weeks. Once I have actually started development, I will share my progress in some way - maybe just create a project on http://www.pivotaltracker.com for interested people to keep an eye on the status.

Hi Xavier,

I read in one of your recent posts that you plan to bring out a "more classic looking design" for upcoming controllers. I need a controller & seeing the videos made me tend towards buying your LG controller, but currently there are still a few points that kept me from ordering one yet. Maybe you can post some additional infos.

Besides being a mac user, my thoughts tend towards "investment protection"

- Do you have a release date (or estimation) for the new controller / case designs?
- Will this be just a new case for the same electronics or a completely new device?
- Supposed it's only a new case - If I buy a LG now, will I be able to get the new case later?
(The reason why I'm asking - for comparison: The LF Jr is only about an inch high and has half the weight of the LG - I have to haul my stuff by myself & since I spent all my $$$ on my AxeFx I can't afford a car ;-) )
- The MFC-101 will probably bring changes in the way the Axe Edit works - it might include programming the switches of the MFC. Do you already have any thoughts / cooperation with Fractal about how you are going to handle this?

Thanks

Mat

P.S. I'm not a Java crack, but I assume that using Java might be a good solution to minimize programming overhead for the control center, since it works on both Windows and Mac. This would require rewriting the software, but then you could run the same program on both platforms (at least as far as I know...).

Hi Mat,
multivir said:
- Do you have a release date (or estimation) for the new controller / case designs?
No estimated release date yet. At the speed I'm working, probably not 2010.
multivir said:
- Will this be just a new case for the same electronics or a completely new device?
- Supposed it's only a new case - If I buy a LG now, will I be able to get the new case later?
It will more than just a new case
multivir said:
- The MFC-101 will probably bring changes in the way the Axe Edit works - it might include programming the switches of the MFC. Do you already have any thoughts / cooperation with Fractal about how you are going to handle this?
There is no cooperation with Fractal. I have all reasons to believe that the MFC-101 programming in Axe-Edit will be MFC-101 specific...
multivir said:
P.S. I'm not a Java crack, but I assume that using Java might be a good solution to minimize programming overhead for the control center, since it works on both Windows and Mac. This would require rewriting the software, but then you could run the same program on both platforms (at least as far as I know...).
Java would be the fastest solution indeed, but I will consider other alternatives too.

I know you are a busy man, Xavier, and I must say I'm impressed with the new AFX features in the control center! But the mac editor is on the top of mine, and many others, wish list, so you should just get used to the rattle about it :)

If you buy the mac for developement only you should go with the mac mini. It's the cheapest one out there, but holds plenty of power. The Macbook and 13" Macbook Pro is exellent if you want a laptop. The basically have the same specs, but the white Macbook is cheaper (and made of some sort of plastic).

If you need any information about mac, just e-mail me (I guess you got my e-mail address somewhere from when I bought the LG and later had it upgraded to LG2). I'm no software developer, but at least I'm the assistant service manager of Norways largest Apple Service Provider so mac is my thing ;)

FYI: the Windows LG editor works without any problems from within Parallels for the Mac.

I made a video about how I operate the Little Giant in combination with the Axe-Fx.

Not streamed yet, but you download it here.

ossandust said:
The only thing I promise today is that I will be buying a Mac one of the coming weeks (any suggestions anyone?)
I recommend two Macs:
A newer intel-based mac like the mac mini (cheapest intel mac you can buy)
An older powerPC-based mac like the 12 inch G4 iBook (small and very cheap G4 Mac)

You need an editor running on those two platforms, covering Mac OS from 10.4 to 10.6. If you leave the powerPC users without an editor, you'll hear about it. However, you probably don't need a G3 Mac with 10.3 -- that's over 8 years old I think.

Wow, Xavier, the new features in Control Center look very slick. Once I have enough money saved up, I think I will just need to decide which LG product will be right for me. I was all set to get an LG-M, and now that you've dropped teasers about a FCB1010 retrofit and a new classic-style pedalboard, I'm not sure which way I'll go. :p

solo-act said:
ossandust said:
The only thing I promise today is that I will be buying a Mac one of the coming weeks (any suggestions anyone?)
I recommend two Macs:
A newer intel-based mac like the mac mini (cheapest intel mac you can buy)
An older powerPC-based mac like the 12 inch G4 iBook (small and very cheap G4 Mac)

You need an editor running on those two platforms, covering Mac OS from 10.4 to 10.6. If you leave the powerPC users without an editor, you'll hear about it. However, you probably don't need a G3 Mac with 10.3 -- that's over 8 years old I think.

I don't agree with you on covering the PPC platform. Too muc hassle for a man running this company part time. Stick to Snow Leopard and "force" people to upgrade. It will make the programming easier, faster, less time consuming, and we might even see the Mac editor in 2010 ;)

Sgt.Alexx said:
I don't agree with you on covering the PPC platform. Too muc hassle for a man running this company part time. Stick to Snow Leopard and "force" people to upgrade. It will make the programming easier, faster, less time consuming, and we might even see the Mac editor in 2010 ;)
Musicians who perform for a living and use a laptop live are most likely bringing two laptops to their gigs (if they're smart). Very few musicians who pay the bills by gigging can afford two intel-mac laptops. If they can & they're not a national level act, I want to move to where they're gigging so I can afford to buy 2 intel-mac laptops. Building an intel only, 10.6 and up product (to make programming easier) shuts out a lot of professional musicians who use PPC software/hardware.

BTW, the new setup/sync is brilliant for creating bank setups -- much, much, much faster.

solo-act said:
[quote="Sgt.Alexx":2ki09a8g]I don't agree with you on covering the PPC platform. Too muc hassle for a man running this company part time. Stick to Snow Leopard and "force" people to upgrade. It will make the programming easier, faster, less time consuming, and we might even see the Mac editor in 2010 ;)
Musicians who perform for a living and use a laptop live are most likely bringing two laptops to their gigs (if they're smart). Very few musicians who pay the bills by gigging can afford two intel-mac laptops. If they can & they're not a national level act, I want to move to where they're gigging so I can afford to buy 2 intel-mac laptops. Building an intel only, 10.6 and up product (to make programming easier) shuts out a lot of professional musicians who use PPC software/hardware.

BTW, the new setup/sync is brilliant for creating bank setups -- much, much, much faster.[/quote:2ki09a8g]

There is more to the 10.6 upgrade than software -- for some it would require a new computer.

I am very happy with my dual 2 GHZ POWERPC G5 tower (which is what I have in my home office) -- I am not going to change/sell that any time soon. No need to --- it is super fast and does everything I need.... so I am running 10.5.8 and I do not anticipate changing that any time soon.

Axe-Edit runs great on it.

Of course the best thing would be having a software running on everything from 10.4 PPC to 10.6 Intel, but remember that Gordius is a part time one-man company and Xavier will buy his first mac one of the coming days.

Starting with developement for PPC which even Apple has stopped developing programs and operating systems for is really a waste of time when time already is something he doesn't have too much of.

What would be your first choice developing a new software today knowing that you might only have time to cover one or maybe two operating systems on mac? I'd go with 10.5 and 10.6 intel :)

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom