how resistant is axe fx2 to blackouts?/how to protect my unit from blackouts

Tonewicker

Inspired
ok recently im in a little bit panic mode because there have been some quick blackouts (like 1-2minutes long) in my region for the last week it happens during night and i always get caught up by it while playing/recording with axe fx 2. so there goes my questions: how resistant is axe fx2 to blackouts ? should i get worried by it ? and is there any spesific thing i can do to protect my unit from blackouts ?

As well most of the most serious damage comes from the surge of power being restored. Also many times brownouts (low voltage) causes as much (or more) problem than blackouts. UPS the only way to go.

It's not resistant. If the power goes off the unit will stop working. To protect against this use a UPS.
does any kind of ups works ? sorry im not good with electronics and its my first time that i hear an ups unit. im currently looking some models and some models are 650va others 1000va so i have no idea what is what.. can i have some spesific features so i can know what im looking for ?

It's not resistant. If the power goes off the unit will stop working. To protect against this use a UPS.

While this answers the question exactly as asked, I'm not convinced that this is the information the OP was looking for. My guess is that the OP really wants to know how likely his unit is to sustain damage due to the power fluctuations ordinarily associated with a blackout, and what would be the most reasonable steps to take to protect against such damage.

While this answers the question exactly as asked, I'm not convinced that this is the information the OP was looking for. My guess is that the OP really wants to know how likely his unit is to sustain damage due to the power fluctuations ordinarily associated with a blackout, and what would be the most reasonable steps to take to protect against such damage.
Every question he asked was answered directly. Don't know what a ups is? Google is your friend

I agree with Stickman.

A UPS is for backup power, essentially. Like a generator. If you're concerned about your Axe FX turning off when you don't want it to, this is what you want. The VA rating is just how much charge it holds. These are good if you want to prevent your computer and Axe FX from shutting down when the power goes out. They are bulky however.

If you're concerned about power spikes or shitty power or whatever, hook up the Axe FX to a surge protector. (I think people are more concerned about this more than they need to, though. Just my opinion.) You can get a surge protector from any hardware store. This will not prevent your Axe FX from turning off, though. If there's no electricity, your Axe FX will not turn on.

does any kind of ups works ? sorry im not good with electronics and its my first time that i hear an ups unit. im currently looking some models and some models are 650va others 1000va so i have no idea what is what.. can i have some spesific features so i can know what im looking for ?

The numbers you quote give you an ideal of how much of a load the device can support for a specified amount of time. Generally speaking, the greater the number of devices, the higher rating you will need. If all you plan to "protect" is the Fractal device for 5 minutes or less, a smaller/lesser unit should suffice. I don't know how much electrical current the Fractal unit pulls, so it's hard to say for sure.

I agree with Stickman.

A UPS is for backup power, essentially. Like a generator. If you're concerned about your Axe FX turning off when you don't want it to, this is what you want. The VA rating is just how much charge it holds. These are good if you want to prevent your computer and Axe FX from shutting down randomly.

If you're concerned about power spikes or shitty power or whatever, hook up the Axe FX to a surge protector. (I think people are more concerned about this more than they need to, though. Just my opinion.) You can get a surge protector from any hardware store. This will not prevent your Axe FX from turning off, though. If there's no electricity, your Axe FX will not turn on.
Yes but a power spike only happens after a power dip. How great a dip is unpredictable. Stabilize power by minimizing dips by using a UPS which will avoid power spikes! Then stick your UPS in a surge protector. Is this not correct?

Yes but a power spike only happens after a power dip. How great a dip is unpredictable. Stabilize power by minimizing dips by using a UPS which will avoid power spikes! Then stick your UPS in a surge protector. Is this not correct?
Most UPS backups generally have a surge protector built-in. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you care about things turning off when you don't want them to. Spend $20 on a somewhat decent surge protector and just live with the power going out. Or spend $100 and nothing turns unless you choose to. In either of those cases, power spikes won't be an issue.

UPS makes sense on gear that can be harmed by unexpected loss of power (like many computers) or where you’re constantly editing data and don’t want to lose it. For all other gear, if it reboots quickly, all you need is surge protection.

The numbers you quote give you an ideal of how much of a load the device can support for a specified amount of time. Generally speaking, the greater the number of devices, the higher rating you will need. If all you plan to "protect" is the Fractal device for 5 minutes or less, a smaller/lesser unit should suffice. I don't know how much electrical current the Fractal unit pulls, so it's hard to say for sure.
i think i understand it after some research so im gonna get one of these in 1-2 days.
thanks for all the replies guys :)

ok so you have a UPS for the axe-fx, but what can you do with it when everything else just turned off.
nothing :) i will just close the axe fx manually so it doesnt get damage from blackouts thats what im looking for

Here is a decent primer on UPS. A surge protector will do nothing for a voltage sag or improperly wired outlets. I run my entire studio on a big beefy UPS. Line noise is non-existent and voltage is stable no matter what happens. In essence, with an online UPS, you are taking the crappy and risky AC and using it only to charge the batteries. Then you are running everything off the constant, filtered battery power.

Yeah do whatever u can to protect your axe! Last summer during a sticky summer storm while I was jamming my axe, she survived about 4 power surges in roughly 8 seconds before I unfroze and quickly shut her down before power returned a 5th time. All I got her on was and still is, is a generic powerstrip with surge protection built in. Thank God she was A-ok!
However I do believe during one of them surges some sort of mysterious magical electrical energy zapped something inside my Tonematch block which now causes the TM block to generate MASSIVE tones, sometimes just putting it on the grid and not even performing the TM procedure lol. Sounds weird I know \m/

A good UPS will generally run off the batteries 100% of the time, giving you a perfect 60hz sine wave of power at a rock steady voltage. So equipment needs it, and some locations have crappy power that fluctuates too much.

Does the AF2 need a power conditioner to work properly? How much fluctuation can you have before you hear it in the output? How much fluctuation can you have before the unit becomes damaged? Will the unit become damaged by a brown out?

Has anyone here ever had an AF2 get damaged by power issues?

Back
Top Bottom