How Reliable is the AX8 At A Gig?

Izzwardo

Inspired
Just wondering how reliable the AX8 is in a gig setting for you guys that have been using it a lot. I am really wanting to use it but have come across a few "problems" as far as bugs when at rehearsal and am kind of nervous. A couple of times on a clean patch I get a random "crystal" effect sound and also sometimes when I want to bank up it does not bank up until I reset the AX8 then it allows me to bank up.

upload your preset that has the "crystal" sound. we can see what's going on.

how are you trying to Bank Up? when it doesn't work, what does happen when you press the switch?

upload your preset that has the "crystal" sound. we can see what's going on.

how are you trying to Bank Up? when it doesn't work, what does happen when you press the switch?
For some reason it wont allow me to upload the preset. Maybe I am doing something wrong as I have never uploaded a file to this site before. It is a Freman preset so maybe that's why

A couple of times on a clean patch I get a random "crystal" effect sound
there is a Multi-Delay block in the preset and its level is controlled by External Control 2 - this is probably tied to Pedal 2. do you have a pedal plugged in there?

when the Reverb block is on Pedal 2 is up, the "crystals" sound is created.

Sounds like Chris has zeroed in on the likely source of the issue. Just in general I can say that my AX8 as been absolutely 100% reliable over dozens of gigs since I got it earlier this year. I'm not as reliable unfortunately. I often choose the wrong button or wrong tone from what I'm going for, but that's 100% user error. AX8 has been perfect.

OP, for me, I've logged many gigs/rehearsals/home use…extremely solid performance. I always have a backup with me at gigs, but never had to use.

OP- No problems using it live as a complete FOH solution or just using the effects and a regular amp--- NO ISSUES

matter of fact I just bought another one!

Last edited:
I don't mean to cast aspersions or create worry, but I did have the AX8 go silent once at a gig - momentarially. This was about my first week or two with the AX8. We got our cue to start a song, and I was supposed to start off the tune, but when I hit the gas (stepped on the pedal I had set up for a volume control), nothing... no sound...:( after about 30 tense seconds fiddling with the pedal, shaking cords and sweating, the volume came up and everything was fine.

I still to this day don't know what caused it. Probably not the AX8, probably something I did, or something in my preset, or a poor connection somewhere. As in the preset mentioned before with the "mystery" crystal effect sound, if you use someone else's presets, or even if you use your own, it's possible to set up some fairly complex controller settings, and if you don't fully understand how they work, you could get unexpected results. So, you do need to make sure you set up controllers that really do what you intend for them to do, and if someone else has done that (downloaded preset), that you really understand how they work, so you don't paint yourself into a corner.:eek:

Just to be clear, other than that one event, which was probably caused by a bad cable/connection, or a controller setting issue, my AX8 has been rock solid - no issues or failures.

Last edited:
I can tell you as part of the team whose job it is to beat up on the thing and see if it breaks, that when a new firmware comes out it's incredibly well tested. And as soon as there are bugs reported the team at fractal is working to correct it.

Gig with confidence!

Back
Top Bottom