AFIII How on Earth do i get this Sound?

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
Hi, can anyone please try to match this lead sound on an axe fx 3 or on anything for that matter?
Its some sort of harmonizer that I cannot pin point.
And then delays to reverb.
And in the second video its the second solo with slightly different delays and reverbs but the core doubler sound is the same. Some sort of altered pitch distortion double.
He won't specify how he gets such a lead tone. It sounds like some sort of pitch doubler/harmonizer, but I don't hear an actual pitch shifting so I can't tell the interval that is even shifting. Very bizzarre.
Also, there is no point in even asking him. Ive tried and haven't gotten anywhere.

Last edited:
I don’t hear any harmonizer. Sounds like a basic delay.

he shows how to play it slowly and there is no harmonizer. The high notes are from the tapping.

Listen carefuly. There is some doubled modified signal going on in parallel. And its not a carbon copy its an altered one. Some sort of filtered harmonizer thing

Sounds like a video camera recording with fast notes and a high delay mix. Have you read somewhere he uses what you mentioned? It sounds straightforward to me.

That's just really high pre delay on the reverb, like 200+ ms, it sounds like pitch shift because when he's playing so fast by the time the reverb gets through the pre delay time he's already tapped 7 notes. Either pre delay on reverb or just clean delay in front of reverb

He does make use of various stereo dual independent delay presets but the one main core tone effect seems to always be there... it's some sort of doubler thing. But you can't really hear the interval so the problem is you can't hear what is even going on or if its really an octave or a 5th on the octave above that. Its like a shift with no discernible pitch. It may be some doubled up parallel fuzz sound but same issue, one just can't pinpoint the actual interval.
Quite the mystery. But it sure does sing.

Last edited:
It cannot be stressed enough that this hornet's coming through in flying colors.

This is a battle I won't be losing and I will find out how to get that lead tone.

Last edited:
it could be a Pitch block set to Detune or a Chorus effect. this is more noticeable on the album and other videos.

but the core of the tone you're hearing in that video is honestly from a "poor recording" of something loud by a video camera. i hear it all the time. there's a glassiness that's there because of the mic quality.

It may not be that obvious to some on first listen but you have confirmed that you can hear it on his albums. I hear it everytime he plays, album or on youtube and guest solos and to me its obvious. If its a pitch shifter then whats the interval? Can you replicate this and post audio?
I dunno about poor mic. I dont hear that kind of distortiuon happening. If anything the poor mic is making it less obvious to you since the album leads are more obvious to you.

It may not be that obvious to some on first listen but you have confirmed that you can hear it on his albums. I hear it everytime he plays, album or on youtube and guest solos and to me its obvious. If its a pitch shifter then whats the interval? Can you replicate this and post audio?
I dunno about poor mic. I dont hear that kind of distortiuon happening. If anything the poor mic is making it less obvious to you since the album leads are more obvious to you.
not sure if it's a pitch with an interval. i don't really hear a consistent "harmony" happening on every note. if anything it's "spreading" the sound out, which usually is a chorus or detune effect.

for the camera mic, i'm not talking about distortion really, but more the "frequency range" that it captures making the tone sound different. hard to say, but all of their videos seem to use the same camera setup which seems of an older quality.

I dont heart any ring modulation, I hear a subtle thing going on that is doubling the signal in additiion to all of that dual delayed and verb'd, and certainly somethiong is modifying the inidial doubled parallel signal which has no more than a 10-20 ms offset on it... listen with proper equipment not on your phone. Its so obvious on headphones.
Its the basic lead tone with undertone for all that they play in leads and I can even hear it on a more subtle level in the rhythm parts on the album now that I listen to the actual albums. But its more on leads.

In addition to the obvious spatial and delay effects, I'm quite certain it's ring modulation. The tip off is the way the effect varies depending on the register. But the wet/dry mix is turned down, producing a doubling effect.

Back
Top Bottom