How old is the Redwirez Big Box IR set?

Pwrmac7600

Power User
Anyone have any ideas how old redwirez big box set is?
I know they have been around for quite some time. Have they ever been reshot/updated?
Would they be considered old hat by now?

I think that they were shot in 2010. They were never redone. They aren't UltraRez, but they still sound good even though I haven't messed with them for quite a while.

There would be no benefit converting them to UR because their wav files are not captured at the required 'sample length'.

AFAIK RW were planning to re-shoot them a year or 2 back - but I'm guessing the UR competition from FAS, Ownhammer, ML, CabIR.eu etc. has made the market a bit too diluted to make it appetising enough to push forward.

I bought these for a recording project in 2010, before my AF2, at the time they were great, today however, I'm not sure they really stand up to the competition.

They do sound better than the stock RW IR's in the AF2 in my opinion, but they, to my ears, dont sound quite as clean (not from a gain perspective but sound perspective if that makes sense) as the Ownhammer IR's for example.

2 things RW did that's really cool is 1- they gave descriptions of the tonal qualities of different speakers, mics and cabs, and 2- they had an IR mix tool on their site that you could DL the mixes (if you owned the IR's) or you could make your own mixes.

Impulse recording methods (such as mic+di or using certain lenghts) or using extremely flat power amps or even new formats like ultrares and ultrares 2.0 have really made Redwirez "obsolete".

They were cool when they were out but im pretty sure i never ended up using the guitar impulses on a mix...but still they were the best at that time and i think the first of doing something like that.
As someone who´s been using almost every impulse free and commercially available since 2007 i can say that right now
nothing even touches the kind of quality that ML sound lab and Ownhammer deliver at this moment.

I have to say that im still using their ampeg svt810 sometimes and I´m still waiting for ML or OH to make the ultimate svt810 library >.< XD

Well, I guess I'll have to be a tad contrarian here: regardless of being 6yrs old, the Box still holds it's own very well even today....if you mix. I still use them. The Marshall G12's and the 1960B are very good. Saying that, I am rather bias toward Ownhammer though, so there's that. For example, Kevin's multi-cab and multi-speaker collections are nothing short of epic.

Subjective summary: The "Box" is a cold beer on a hot summer's day. OH is perfectly-aged whiskey on a Saturday all-nighter while getting laid. Please enjoy our refreshments responsibly.

they have made ampeg 4x10 and 2x10 impulses which are really cool
but the 8x10 fridge has different construction and speakers
and just the fact of being on that enormous cab affects the sound
Its not the iconic sound of rock bass for nothing
I am not any of the producers you mentioned, but this in the plan.

Back
Top Bottom