How often do you reset system parameters?

For some settings, instead of writing or typing, I will screen shot the axe-edit page then paste the screen shot into the notes app on my mac. I can annotate or make a note right there.

If something is (possibly) wrong under the hood, then saving the system and restoring it will also re-introduce that error.
So my approach is to reset and and then adjust a few settings afterwards. I know exactly which ones.

Study the manual to learn about the parameters in Setup.

Note that resetting the system is often not necessary. It's a part of troubleshooting.

If something is (possibly) wrong under the hood, then saving the system and restoring it will also re-introduce that error.
So my approach is to reset and and then adjust a few settings afterwards. I know exactly which ones.

Study the manual to learn about the parameters in Setup.

Note that resetting the system is often not necessary. It's a part of troubleshooting.

It makes sense, thanks.

I am running the beta of FM3 since it was released, with one mini display label showing always a black square. I will try to reset teh system to fix it, as somebody said it works.

System reset have to be done after or before installing new firmware?

I never did it, and was wondering when and for wich reason to perform this task.
From the Wiki:
Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all. There are a variety of parameters that affect the overall sound that could be set incorrectly either by accident or by a bug in previous firmware. A system reset gives you a clean slate and ensures that the unit sounds as intended. The only drawback is that any changes you've made to I/O and MIDI control assignments will be lost.

Do you write all parameters per hand, (Global, I/O, MIDI, Tuner, FC controllers), could @Al Grenadine implement a “get parameters list“ in Fractool to have a file with all used parameters? Thanks in advance.
There are way too many parameters to write them out by hand, and resetting would mean losing a lot of important settings.

As an example, below are the Setup parameters I change from their default values. I've memorized them.

Global
Default Scene = 1
AC Line Freq = 50 Hz (because I live in Europe)
Global EQs: all off
Note that a system reset also clears the Global Perform menu (to my regret).

I/O
Input 1 A/D Level = 20%
Input 4 = Left Only

MIDI/Remote
Scene Revert = On
Send Realtime SysEx = On
Ignore Redundant PC = On
External Controller 1 = CC 11
External Controller 3 = CC 13

I don't use an FC controller normally, but if you do: backup and restore those settings separately in the software editor.

Tuner
Mute = Input

As a beta tester I often reset the system. And it's a bit of an OCD thing: whenever I don't trust my ears, I reset the thing. I know which Setup parameters I've changed from default (and also have written it down), so a system reset and reconfiguring just takes a minute or two for me. Frankly, I think every user should know his or her way in the Setup menu, it's important.
I backed up the factory settings then reset both my FM3 and FX3 right after I got them. Then I installed the latest firmware and started messing around. And, I suspect that's why I didn't get hit with weird issues that a lot of other people did... my weird OCD obsession with starting from a clean system.

Last edited:
OK, guys, you've convinced me. Today I will do the first System Reset since the Axe-FX Standard. That is about 15 years without reset :p
I think I've only changed AC to 50Hz, Send SysEx, and the external controllers CC

Back
Top Bottom