Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Rarely - I set it for my hottest guitar and deal with it

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Rarely, but I'd do it often if I could control it via footswitch or preset

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

dsimms

Inspired
For best results, S/N ratio etc, we're supposed to set the input trim in the I/O->INPUT menu so our loudest signal briefly lights up the red on the meter. If I set it up for a hot guitar signal, my single coil guitars are way behind and I have to compensate for the levels and dynamics elsewhere in the presets. How many of you manually change this when switching guitars?

and I have to compensate for the levels and dynamics elsewhere in the presets.
No you don't. That's not how the input level works. No matter what you set it at, the signal seen by the input of the A/D is exactly the same. There's makeup gain on the other side of it to ensure this. The setting only helps you optimize signal to noise on the input. If you turn it up, the input signal doesn't get stronger, the SNR gets bigger.

No you don't. That's not how the input level works. No matter what you set it at, the signal seen by the input of the A/D is exactly the same. There's makeup gain on the other side of it to ensure this. The setting only helps you optimize signal to noise on the input. If you turn it up, the input signal doesn't get stronger, the SNR gets bigger.

Thanks Ian. So this is much ado about nothing. I can pull the thread if you think this is trivial or misleading for some. On the other hand, it might clear it up for some others.

The INPUT signal from the I/O menu is not the same as the Input Trim on the Amp block page and has nothing to do with amp tone. The INPUT signal in the I/O menu is there just to set signal-to-noise ratio set properly for the Axe FX. You want to "tickle" the red on the input meters when playing with your guitar with the hottest pickups. This is the optimal setting and you'll probably never need to adjust it again once you have it set.

The Input Trim knob on the amp block does affect tone. It's use is almost similar to turning the volume knob down on your guitar or plugging into a clean boost pedal and turning up its volume to push the front of the amp.

For me the hottest pickup is BareKnuckle Black Hawk and i set the input trim to 30%

My BKP Blackdog set on the other hand "needs" input trim to be at 90%.

So i think, if the output difference is this big, then i want to set the input trim for every guitar to optimal.

For best results, S/N ratio etc, we're supposed to set the input trim in the I/O->INPUT menu so our loudest signal briefly lights up the red on the meter. If I set it up for a hot guitar signal, my single coil guitars are way behind and I have to compensate for the levels and dynamics elsewhere in the presets. How many of you manually change this when switching guitars?

Your wording of input trim is different. I actually compensate by lowering and raising the input trim in the amp block between my 2 guitars. I also try to let my hottest guitar tickle the red a tad more just to give my strat some more too.

Thank you, but I understand the differences, however the OP wrote: "For best results, S/N ratio etc, we're supposed to set the input trim in the I/O->INPUT menu so our loudest signal briefly lights up the red on the meter. "

So how is that AMP Input Trim? I agree that it's (INPUT TRIM) a poor choice of words because that is how AMPs are labled - but that's not amp related in the context he wrote from what her wrote.
I agree, except that as you can see from the second reply from OP there's a lot of confusion about Inst In and what it does... The last thing we need to be doing is calling it "Input Drive" or any other parameter other than its proper name.

The sooner we separate the concept from any gain or EQ setting, the better.

Sometimes... I might tweak it if I use my active pickup guitars... but very rarely. Could count the times on one hand for sure.

Different for each and every guitar. I don't enjoy digital clipping.

All EMG's and all are vastly different.

Last edited:
none of my pups are super hot, i think i actually have it cranked all the way up and ever my super strat with dimarzio titans only tickles red

Back
Top Bottom