How NOT to Dial In a Killer Tone

I am glad that I am not the only one who has left cab modeling off by mistake!

Yep, I had a jolly good laugh at myself when I did that. After playing without it, having a cab sim on felt like the greatest tone I'd ever had.

I have learned more from you them anyone else. I had to write you and thank you for all the time you spend just to help us newbies get started. (your playing is awesome too..
one question though. does the axe 3 work like real world amp .. the sweet spot on my marshall is 6 master volume does the axe 3 copy the same real world scenario by turning the axe 3 amp to 6? and yes I did try it same distortion as 4 or 5..newbie remember

I have learned more from you them anyone else. I had to write you and thank you for all the time you spend just to help us newbies get started. (your playing is awesome too..
one question though. does the axe 3 work like real world amp .. the sweet spot on my marshall is 6 master volume does the axe 3 copy the same real world scenario by turning the axe 3 amp to 6? and yes I did try it same distortion as 4 or 5..newbie remember

Yes indeed - a great way to test this is to slowly turning the master up while you play. There will be a point where the overall output stops getting louder and the virtual power amp begins to compress and saturate, which is often the "sweet spot" we love on old Marshalls and Fenders.

I can’t fathom a serious guitar player who would go on a forum and bash the Axe 3. Or digital modelers in general. I guess some people go cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Some people are just happier when their grumpy and pissed.

With a well tuned guitar and good technique, it sounds pretty damn ripping with the cab sim off. It actually reminded me of the isolated tones you sometimes hear from popular recordings.

Yes indeed - a great way to test this is to slowly turning the master up while you play. There will be a point where the overall output stops getting louder and the virtual power amp begins to compress and saturate, which is often the "sweet spot" we love on old Marshalls and Fenders.

This is incredibly good advice....that is oft ignored.

With a well tuned guitar and good technique, it sounds pretty damn ripping with the cab sim off. It actually reminded me of the isolated tones you sometimes hear from popular recordings.

I did a session on a NiN style track where the producer wanted the nastiest possible guitar sound and all we did was disable the Axe cab sim on a high gain amp. Sounded horrendous in isolation but up against a wall of samples and synths it cut through very nicely.

This is incredibly good advice....that is oft ignored.

i need to cover that in a video asap.

I did a session on a NiN style track where the producer wanted the nastiest possible guitar sound and all we did was disable the Axe cab sim on a high gain amp. Sounded horrendous in isolation but up against a wall of samples and synths it cut through very nicely..

Yep, people often forget when dialing in tones that the objective is to make the guitar sit properly in the song, not to sound good in isolation.

Another thing to remember is those little knobs on your guitar. Just like with old tube amps, the Fractal products react beautifully to your pickup volume and tone controls. Depending on the guitar and amp model, you might find all the sounds you need for a set by just manipulating the controls on your guitar and never changing scenes or presets.

OMG! ROTFL! I watched this intently, excellent video, learned a lot, but that final comment made my day! LOL! You ROCK, Leon!

But if you're not meant to turn all the controls up to 10, why do they go that high? ;)

this-one-goes-to-11.jpg

It's good to see others admitting to "duh" moments. Makes me feel less unique. Forgetting to switch on the cab sim is the aural equivalent of chewing on tinfoil. Did that for a second to hear the diff. Accidentally shut off global power amp simulation and adjusted a bunch of presets with it off, and it is amazing how clean and loud the various Trainwreck preamps are. Took a couple days to find my error and an hour to re-level volumes of all my presets.... :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom