How much would you pay for fractal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a interesting question I'd like to pose that was inspired by the recent BIAS thread here...

I think it'd be interesting if everyone responds HONESTLY and with ALL the answers to the following questions....

1. How much income do you make after taxes yearly, and are you the sole provider in your house, and if not how much does the other make yearly after taxes?

2. Out of the above net income, how much of it is made through playing or recording music for a living or supplemental?

3. Now we know the fractal xl plus is $2,500 right now excluding the summer sale of course. So, I want to know this... just imagine the xl plus was just released today at a much higher price.... what is the most that you would seriously, realistically, and honestly pay in which to own one? At what point would the price be so high that you would start considering other options like kemper, helix, bias, etc etc?

4. At what point would the diminishing returns outweigh the cost of having something that's the best of the best, but may only be the best by a little. How extreme are you, and how far are you willing and able to go to have the very best modeler?

This thread is pointless if everyone is not 100 percent honest in answering ALL the questions, because everything's relative. A person that makes 100k a year and is willing to pay ten grand for a fractal is a lot different than a 21 year old that makes min wage at a part time job and is on food stamps... get it?

So, I will go first...
I live alone and I make less than thirty thousand a year after taxes. I make zero income from music. I just like composing and recording my music. The xl is currently $2500, but even though I make zero from music and my income is very low, I'd pay as much as $5,000 for a fractal if I had to. Because that's how important knowing I have the best of the best is to me, and that's also the very most I could possibly bare to spend on a single peice of music gear.

The current price is what I would pay.

For $5,000, it would have to come with an RJM Mastermind level Foot controller & power amp included in the cost to make me think about dropping that much cash.

This thread is pointless

I completely agree.

I live alone and I make less than thirty thousand a year after taxes. I make zero income from music. I just like composing and recording my music. The xl is currently $2500, but even though I make zero from music and my income is very low, I'd pay as much as $5,000 for a fractal if I had to. Because that's how important knowing I have the best of the best is to me, and that's also the very most I could possibly bare to spend on a single peice of music gear.

That's insane and is troubling as well. You're going to live paycheck to paycheck until the day you die with that mind set.

bestabundance1.jpg

You shouldn't be allowed out of middle school until you understand this:

supply_and_demand.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never pay that much for the axe. I love mine. But, Jesus man. $5000 for an axe? Especially when you make 30k a year?! That's insanity.

You would literally be working 2 months straight just to pay for it. I'm not even counting whatever taxes you pay. You could own a monster rig for 5k.

On the other hand, this thread is utterly useless.

So, I will go first...

That's scary, and a good recipe for perpetual poverty. Hmmm, how to put this without sounding like a dick? I'll just say that I make a lot more than that, and I would not pay the current retail price for the II XL+. I waited to pull the trigger on my II until I found a good deal on a used one.

Back in the day when I was touring, doing music full time and making less than $30K a year, I had a $300 amp, a $300 pedalboard, and a $600 guitar. That was the early 90's so adjust for inflation, but still. At the time I'd have loved to drop $2K-$3K on an Eventide or a 2290, but it was unthinkable.

I've never had a job in my life. That's what my (5th) wife is for.

I would not pay 5K for a Fractal. It's just a piece of kit.

Just because one can create a topic, does not mean one should. The time it took to draft the OP would've been better spent playing guitar.

I thought the Axe FX II mkII was a little expensive when I bought one in march 2013. Then the MFC and some expression pedals and a pair of FRFR amps, custom cases and high quality cables.... it's nearly $6 grand all said and done.

While I am happy with it, I still think it's a pretty pricy set up for those that are not using it to make money.

i have a day gig and make about 80k a year. i own 2 recording studios that are only operational at night. i make about 35-40k a year from that venture. My wife is an attorney and makes 150k a year. i own a few amps (Mesa Mark iv and fender deluxe) but since owning the Fractal i have not used my real amps at all! so that adds a LOT of value to me personally. The fractal unit saves me time and energy. it allows me and my artists to stay focused on the music and not the tone due to mic placement and whatnot. So while 5k is a LOT of moola for 1 unit, i would probably have forked over 5k for the unit. I dont gig w it as I am not a gigging musician so i didnt have to buy power amps and FRFR speakers, so for me the 5k would hopefully include a few other little toys thrown in for that kind of money. BUT still even at 5k i think the axe is well worth it b/c it has like a million dollars worth of amps and cabs built into it. plus countless firmware upgrades and so much R&D that keeps making the unit sound better and better.

Last edited:
That's scary, and a good recipe for perpetual poverty. Hmmm, how to put this without sounding like a dick? I'll just say that I make a lot more than that, and I would not pay the current retail price for the II XL+. I waited to pull the trigger on my II until I found a good deal on a used one.

Back in the day when I was touring, doing music full time and making less than $30K a year, I had a $300 amp, a $300 pedalboard, and a $600 guitar. That was the early 90's so adjust for inflation, but still. At the time I'd have loved to drop $2K-$3K on an Eventide or a 2290, but it was unthinkable.

That's your opinion. Yes 5k would be roughly twenty perscent of my annual net income. And thats my point, thats how much I value this peice of gear, id pay five k for ot if I had too in order to obtain it. Let me make it clear, the axe fx xl means more to me than even a family members life to me or even god. I place more value on this peice of gear than anything else in my life. I mean this litterally, its no exaggeration. Point is everyone values different things in life to different levels of extremes. Somr would rather spend two hundred on bias. Others wont spend more than what a pod costs. Then theres others that cant live without a 3,000, klon centaure etc etc. Music is my life, my family, my god... everything to me, and the axe fx is the best there is, therefore id pay anything to own it as long as I could possibly afford it. Point of thread besides my own curiosity, is like stuff I said in bias thread, people always gonna choose bias etc over axe and claim its better because people biy based on what they can afford and whats most important to them.

That's your opinion. Yes 5k would be roughly twenty perscent of my annual net income. And thats my point, thats how much I value this peice of gear, id pay five k for ot if I had too in order to obtain it. Let me make it clear, the axe fx xl means more to me than even a family members life to me or even god. I place more value on this peice of gear than anything else in my life. I mean this litterally, its no exaggeration. Point is everyone values different things in life to different levels of extremes. Somr would rather spend two hundred on bias. Others wont spend more than what a pod costs. Then theres others that cant live without a 3,000, klon centaure etc etc. Music is my life, my family, my god... everything to me, and the axe fx is the best there is, therefore id pay anything to own it as long as I could possibly afford it. Point of thread besides my own curiosity, is like stuff I said in bias thread, people always gonna choose bias etc over axe and claim its better because people biy based on what they can afford and whats most important to them.

wow more than a family members life? you are nuts dude! totally clinically insane! jeezz... but yes the Axe is freaking awesome and as a fellow guitar addict i cannot live without it anymore... if mine died, i would probably bury it and place a tombstone over it... man now your making me nuts as well... GO AWAY!

:lol I payed what I payed two years ago no more and no less, If I had to pay more than that I would have gone back to a tube rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom