How much will I really miss vs AXE3?

tmingle

I already own an RME UCX interface & Helix Rack unit. The Helix has some good sounds, but a lot of limitations. I attempt to use a few effects tricks as viewed on YOUTUBE FM3 videos & the HELIX doesn't sound quite right. I don't use any complicated presets, mostly DRIVE, AMP, CAB, REVERB or more often, DRIVE, AMP, REVERB into FX return of my tube amps. I use 4CM with my tube amps(DSL40CR & LANEY L5-T112) as well. In 4CM, I have the MIDI set up on the Helix to switch amp channels.

What would I be missing out on with the FM3 vs AXE FX3?

To give you an idea, this is my gigging setup du jour with my FM3.

I don't use the internal drives and instead have an external drive in the effects loop. I'm pushing the FM3 to about 82%, so it's pretty maxed. I'm running:
  • Parametric EQ
  • Effects Loop for my external drive.
  • Amp with 4 channels.
  • Cab running Ultra High IR's also 4 channels
  • Reverb in Normal Quality
  • 2 independent delay blocks (one for rhythm and one for lead)
  • Enhancer Block
  • Trem
  • Rotary
  • Multiband Compressor
  • Volume Boost

my rig.jpg

Will probably do away with the PEQ and Enhancer and reduce the reverb quality to economy since in a band setting I hardly use them. That would give me enough juice for a drive block. Do you need more than this?

Thanks.
I was pretty sure that would be the answer. The editor for the Fractal stuff seems to be way better than Helix edit. The ability to see actual DB values on the screen seems huge. To my ears, higher gain stuff just sounds like crap on the Helix. I was hoping the Cab update may help, but I still wind up with IR's rather than Cabs. The plan is to purchase the FM3, learn & tweak, sell the Helix rack & possibly pick up a used HX Stomp. I can then have both platforms for a very small investment.

I've had great success with the FM3. The latest firmware update allows for faster preset changes* so it's pretty easy to have a kitchen sink preset that's your meat and potatoes 90% of the time preset and then specific presets for those once in a while instances. Set list mode can also be your friend in this regard. I've been good with a kitchen sink preset. I do like the HX stomp for a fly rig.

*Check the release notes if you use global spillover.

I don't use any complicated presets, mostly DRIVE, AMP, CAB, REVERB or more often, DRIVE, AMP, REVERB into FX return of my tube amps. I use 4CM with my tube amps(DSL40CR & LANEY L5-T112) as well. In 4CM, I have the MIDI set up on the Helix to switch amp channels.

What would I be missing out on with the FM3 vs AXE FX3?
The III would be overkill for you. The FM3 will more than suffice for your typical use. If you thought you might ever want more power, you could either get an FM9 or just place the Stomp in the effect loop of the FM3.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm close to pulling the trigger.
So much more benefits to the fm3 compared to the helix

1. The best amp-modeling algorithm in the game.
  2. Your guitar tone will be closer to what you imagined.
  3. You've already built your imaginary preset in the FM3.

Make it a reality

Experience the near-limitless sonic opportunities of the Fractal Audio World!

Click that Purchase button, you won't regret it!

totally not biased here in the fractal forum ;)

You'll miss it the way driving a different car will leave you wishing the new car had this or that. Once you make the mental transition from doing things the helix way to doing things the fractal way, I predict you won't really miss the helix and I further predict that your gas will be cured for a long long time.

I just ordered an FM3. I guess the question now will be, "how much will I miss the Helix.
Like so many others now using Fractals, I came by way of using Line 6 and Helix for many years, including a Stomp for a while.

Learning the system is daunting because there are layers and layers of parameters that can be adjusted, but they are organized pretty well and eventually they are like knowing a new neighborhood, you know where everything is and can go right to it.

My recommendations are:
  1. Have a good monitoring or FRFR system to reproduce the sound and turn it up to a realistic stage volume when first using it. You need to hear the system in its glory before digging in and changing things. Once you know how the system sounds “for reals” then you’ll feel confident that modeler works right. Seriously, getting air moving is important. And it’s fun.
  2. Play through the factory presets for a while. There are three banks of 128 presets that cover various types of amps, genres and songs, and demonstrations of various ways to program effects.
  3. Read the manuals. Get familiar with what each one contains, so that you can quickly find answers rather than asking the forum and waiting until someone asks the right questions to understand the problem. If you do have to revert to the forum, it really helps if you tell us everything you tried and why it didn’t work, and supply the preset or the layout if it’s about creating that particular thing. Without that where we can poke at it we have to resort to asking 20 questions and try to imagine what the problem is.
How much will you miss the old gear? If you’re like me, not at all.

Welcome to Fractal!

I really have to question what you aren't getting out of the Helix Rack in this situation. I used to have a Helix Floor and I was even running that as a 7 CM rig (Guitar -> Helix -> two amp inputs + two amp fx loops) without issues.

The FM3 mainly has better parallel routing but it also has a good chunk less I/O than a Helix Rack. For most common setups not having more than two parallel paths in a preset is not much of a problem.

I really have to question what you aren't getting out of the Helix Rack in this situation. I used to have a Helix Floor and I was even running that as a 7 CM rig (Guitar -> Helix -> two amp inputs + two amp fx loops) without issues.

The FM3 mainly has better parallel routing but it also has a good chunk less I/O than a Helix Rack. For most common setups not having more than two parallel paths in a preset is not much of a problem.
To my ears, the fact that pretty much every amp in the Helix has an underlying "frequency" that needs removed. The clean & crunch amps are easy to dial in, but the higher gain amps seem to have a lot of "digital artifacts". I had a sinus condition that was effecting my hearing for quite a while. After treatment, my hearing is as close to normal as it will be for my age(62). I could never hear a differences in tone before, but I can now. The Helix is a good unit & I may keep it. I just want to try something different.

To my ears, the fact that pretty much every amp in the Helix has an underlying "frequency" that needs removed. The clean & crunch amps are easy to dial in, but the higher gain amps seem to have a lot of "digital artifacts". I had a sinus condition that was effecting my hearing for quite a while. After treatment, my hearing is as close to normal as it will be for my age(62). I could never hear a differences in tone before, but I can now. The Helix is a good unit & I may keep it. I just want to try something different.
I guess I will have to disagree on that but these things are personal. It's of course best to try things out for yourself and pick the unit(s) you like best.

Back
Top Bottom