how much reworking of patches has FW18b caused you?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
I have not upgraded to 18b yet. I know there will most likely be some reworking of patches so I was just wondering how much reworking did it cause you all? I never have a lot of time to dedicate to patch tweaking so depending on what the average response I will be able to decide when to upgrade

My personal experience:

- I had to redo the perceived output level balancing for all my presets
- One or two amp models had to be further tweaked (had a gain structure just at the edge of breakup in v17.04 and ended up with full distortion in v18beta). It was easy to tame it back down.

If I had to do it again, I would wait until the official release. It's just too time-consuming to readjust all levels at every f/w upgrade. Note that this isn't a complaint... it was my decision to jump in while still in beta (I wanted the two new factory IRs from cvab pack 8). But like I said, in hindsight, if I went back in time, I would wait until the official release (but... would I be *able* to wait?!?)

My personal experience:

- I had to redo the perceived output level balancing for all my presets
- One or two amp models had to be further tweaked (had a gain structure just at the edge of breakup in v17.04 and ended up with full distortion in v18beta). It was easy to tame it back down.

If I had to do it again, I would wait until the official release. It's just too time-consuming to readjust all levels at every f/w upgrade. Note that this isn't a complaint... it was my decision to jump in while still in beta (I wanted the two new factory IRs from cvab pack 8). But like I said, in hindsight, if I went back in time, I would wait until the official release (but... would I be *able* to wait?!?)

Thanks

There's a couple amps that haven't been 3'd yet that I use, so I substituted similar ones for those - minimal tweaks and sounds better than ever

There's a couple amps that haven't been 3'd yet that I use, so I substituted similar ones for those - minimal tweaks and sounds better than ever

+1 I would not go back now to 17.04 - very little tweaking and if you have to - it's only sounds better :eagerness:

I've just started a full scratch rebuild to take in 17.04. Creating a full template, with amp / cab / effects and routing / controller assignments etc

Without the full picture, it's too big a jump for me and Axe Edit is very useful too when doing such a process

Had it just been applying new Firmware to existing patches, I might have gone for it, but 18 & G3 is more than just a 'usual' update I think

Very minimal, the hardest part was resetting the output volumes, as a lot of amps changed volume.

In fact, I would say its much easier to dial in good tones now. I always felt the need to fiddle with the knobs or eq on previous firmwares, but I haven't tweaked anything since day-one on 18b.

I typically start from scratch on amp & cab blocks with major #'d FW updates, but the actual tweaking process is so much easier. I barely touch advanced parameters now and use globals for most of my effects... takes very little time starting from near-zero.

I typically start from scratch on amp & cab blocks with major #'d FW updates, but the actual tweaking process is so much easier. I barely touch advanced parameters now and use globals for most of my effects... takes very little time starting from near-zero.

Same workflow here.

I start with blank presets and new AMP / CAB blocks.

Then build out my efx and routing from there.

It sounds worse than it is though, I can get up and going in one evening with this approach.

Honestly not that much for me. This FW changed things for me in a lot of ways. I moved away from using "every amp under the sun" to match tones, and really just settled in with 3 amps as "my tone." Now... I'm not done with my sound yet, and I still need to dig around and do some tweaking, but I found the Marshall models and the HBE to be so good now that they simply eliminated my need for many more models. I just use my volume knob more now to clean up, and get it all done with 3 amps. It's a lot more like a traditional 3 channel rig for me now.

I like this better, because I don't have to worry about levels nearly as much as I did before, which was always my largest issue. My tone is also a bit more raw now, and less processed sounding. That is much an evolution for me as it was the axe. I've always played a pretty processed tone, very 80's kind of Def Leppard like... I 'm moving towards a more raw amp guitar to Plexi or JCM 800 type sound, because now it sounds SO good...

Minimal....changed over to SPDIF and even levels arent much of an issue cos of SPDIF....(unless u keep level in teh amp at extreme)...for the most part this firmware had little or no effort....no advanced parameters at all...its good enough for me.

If you adjust advanced parameters you will have a large project, as all of those get reset upon upgrading.

If you never touch advanced parameters you only have to adjust output levels.

If you just use 3 or 4 presets for your entire set, I'd say go for it. If you need 40+ for a cover band gig this weekend, I'd probably hold off until you feel you have sufficient time.

18 is REALLY easy to get great tone with. Your biggest (most time consuming) challenge will probably be balancing levels - which in a way is yet another testament towards the Axe's realism - but even that should be relatively easy.

I started from scratch, glad I did, as it made some things easier, but you really don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom