How much is a parts guitar worth?

nathan_393

Inspired
I listed a parts guitar I bought nearly 20 years ago recently. Here’s the listing: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city...m-clone-jem-7v-wh-with-emg-pickups/1645448406

I share the link for reference, not criticism — I’m sure I’ve probably overvalued it. I wish I could sell the guitar, and I know from playing for 20 years that this guitar plays and feels like a very nice $1,000 — but I’m pretty sure this will never sell for more than a couple hundred despite that.

Have any of you successfully sold any of your parts guitars before? Do you get what you’re hoping for, or do you end up just selling them for a loss?

Edit to add: I’m not trying to sell this to any of you, in case it’s not clear (I have no interest in shipping it). Just asking about your experiences.

The resale market isn't great, but replacement value in a wreck for my two partscasters was a lot!

The rig that got smashed that was in the trunk ...paid for a Maserati GT.42907A41-9CF7-4B44-B6CD-57F2EACC1CBB.jpeg

Mine were made with expensive parts. One was a spruce thinline. The luthier that helped the appraiser value the gear told them they can't even get spruce bodies... And appraised them at $3600 or so each to recreate.

Instead of replacing the Bad Cat and pedalboard I just moved over to Fractal.
Best decision I ever made!

You may need to be patient but I don't feel that you've overpriced it considering what used JEMs seem to be going for. Seems to be a well put together 'parts' guitar. If you have documentation for any of the work done, it can only help if added to the listing.

I wish I was smart enough to keep documentation in my youth. Surprisingly, I may have found a buyer for $850. I’ll keep you all posted if you like. I’ve been trying to sell this guitar on and off since 2020 (not too seriously, clearly, or I might have done it by now).

The buyer didn't come through, but whatever. It's still a lovely guitar. At this point, I'm planning on keeping it until a find something with a fixed bridge that feels as good for heavy music. So my experience continues to be that parts guitars are worth nothing to anybody except the builder and maintainer.

I guess part guitars sell about their weight in kg multiplied by 50 USD per kg....except if they have a proven story with a known artist maybe?

That one is pretty low due to what it is. There are plenty of Chibanez copies out there for $250 and lots of actual low end RGs for similar. The best thing for getting the best price would take it apart and sell the bits. $1k is crazy.
Parts guitars are valued entirely by the viability of the builder plus the value of the parts used with the fit and finish playing a huge part. The builder is hugely important because what works is very different to what fits together . Now add the fret dress and all the finer point that make or break a guitar.
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1626.jpg
This is a parts guitar . How do you price it? It's what you can get for it This £3k was the answer but you can't get a 25.5" scale RGD with Gotoh 1996 / 510 delta and Lollar/ Tyler pickups with a super thin nitro finish and a roasted neck.

Back
Top Bottom