How much heat can the axe fc II take?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Hi, im running a ss poweramp which is acutally getting "egg-frying-hot" on the front panel. I don't know if its this hot all the way through the unit though.

There is no space between the the axe and the ss. Another question is the axe more exposed on the bottom of the unit rather than on the top? Should the ss stay on top og below the axe?
thanks!

I've read the Axe should be able to stand USA desert heat, and it probably proved that many times.

Nevertheless, expensive devices that don't make much heat themselves go into the lowest spot of my rack.

I'd say put the amp on top cus heat normally flows upwards.

I generally put the amp at the bottom of the rack..
not cos the heat but because of weight - to give the rack a lower center of gravity [easier to carry, less likely to get knocked over durnig the choas before the sound-check]
that being the case, if the poweramp is akin to a portable sun, leave a U empty and pop a 1U filler grille in the space

I would move the amp up I did something similar. Also I would use a fan in the back of the rack to get the heat out. I know there is a proper way to ventilate but if you were to blow a pretty high powered fan in the back you will feel the results just by touching the amp after its been on awhile. This has worked well for me, a unit in a rack on a hot day with the amp in there you are probably getting close to the heat spec I would bet. I use a vornado which works great. As long as you don't need complete silence for studio work. If your really concerned you could get a separate rack. I wish you the best with whatever you decide but like I said get the heat out if you can. You'll probably get all kinds of responses about how to use a fan i wish you the best of luck and keep rocking.

Thanks mark, that's a good idea with the fan :)

I've only got a 3 unit rack and it is in this bag-like rackcase "rackbag". i'm thinking it might closes off the ventilation.

I'd say put the amp on top cuse heat normally flows upwards.

That's been my strategy for years with rack components. I know most people put the power amp in the bottom, but I like to stack with the warmest component on the top of the rack.

Being the Axe uses a computer based technology, it makes even more sense. A CPU's performance tends to derogate with higher temperatures, which could plausibly explain some users experiencing freezing or other anomalies.

Not quite a solution for you but i put air holes in mine to keep it cooler. Will be fitting an extractor round the back soon.

Attachments

• 2013-09-09 22.57.43.jpg
    2013-09-09 22.57.43.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52
Im another amp at top guy. I get the weight thing - but unless you have larger than 4u I really dont think that matters. With a 6u or 8u rack then yeh.

My Matrix is actually at the bottom - but it doesnt generate any more heat than the AFX so It really is only a cosmetic thing - I prefer the 2U unit in the middle with a 1U above (wireless) and below (amp).

The Rackbags are fine - as long as you open both flaps when using them (they generally have velcro strips to fasten them open). Stick the amp on top, open the flaps, and use a fan if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom