How much headphone impedance can it handle?

Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a Axe FX 3 Mk2 and also some headphones. How much output does the headphone-output has? or how much headphone-impedance (ohm) can it handle ? Let's say for at least 80 decibel? I found some good 250Ohm impedance headphones, also 470 and 600.

What is the Axe-Fx 3 headpone output capable of? Without using external third party headphone signal amp.

Thanks for helping me out

Cheers
Marc

I use DT 1990 Pros. 250 Ohms. The III drives them well. I usually have the output knob between 11 and 12 o'clock.

Nice headphones!

People praise those DTs for their accuracy in studio work.
They are clinical and flat vs fun (e.g. exaggerated bass and altered meds)
Would you agree?

have you used other headphones with the AF3?

Agree 100%.

I used the Blue MoFi previously until the padding started to disintegrate. They were pretty good though not as good as the DT 1990 Pros.

Agree 100%.

I used the Blue MoFi previously until the padding started to disintegrate. They were pretty good though not as good as the DT 1990 Pros.
Funny fact, I started this thread because of the DT 1990 Pro. Is this headphone not to heavy? 370g / 13oz (without cable)

Noon is basically 5 on a 1-10 volume scale.
You started with the clock thing :p haha
So 470 or 600 Ohm should be okay aswell

I have 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT-770 (closed) and DT880 (semi-open) headphones. I use the 880s most of the time. Plenty loud and they sound great.

EDIT: Oh, oops. I have the FM3. Not sure it drives headphones the same as the AxeFX III.

Holy moly 2000 bucks for headphones? do they have magnetostatic drivers?

For something very high end but more reasonably priced, check out Ollo S4X. Shockingly flat frequency response (each pair comes with a measurement graph of that particular set). I have not tried the DT1990 but all other beyerdynamic headphones I've tried (770, 880, and 990) have had a ridiculously hyped high end.

Don't get the low Ohm head phones. I had to get a pair of DT880s' repaired that were originally 32ohm and one side blew out.

As part of the repair at my request they upped the ohms to 250 ohms. Much better.

Okay Thank you all guys! You helped me out!

Holy moly 2000 bucks for headphones? do they have magnetostatic drivers?

I paid less than half of that 4 years ago via a steal off of ebay, so that is how I wound up with the LCD 3.

The world of high end audio can get crazy whether we are talking hifi, studio, or headphones, but headphones are at least arguably the most accessible option for many and certainly the most convenient. For me, I typically only get to enjoy my music at volume with headphones or in my car, the two worst ways haha, so I put my money into where I can at least enjoy it the most. But don't use headphones driving, that is not safe!

Anything past the $500-$800 level in headphones is a terrible diminishing return value proposition. Between $200 to $500 can be a debatable value proposition for many if not most. It also makes a big difference if you can find low impedance headphones that work for your preferences with high sensitivity that are efficient enough to be driven with mobile amps/DACs or even phones.

I think one of the best value propositions I am seeing right now are a used set of Focal Elegia and Dan Clark Aeon 2 in the $500 range. I am needing to upgrade my closed back setup and am considering these two options. On the other hand they require additional amplification when you are away from your Axe, which starts to bridge the gap compared to something like the Beyerdynamic T5P 3rd gen which are $999 but are fine being driven straight from the headphone jack on a phone. I have reservations about Beyerdynamics though as they tend to have a signature over bloated treble that can be fatiguing. My almost 10 year old DT 770 Pros live up to this reputation.

Last edited:
Don't get the low Ohm head phones. I had to get a pair of DT880s' repaired that were originally 32ohm and one side blew out.

As part of the repair at my request they upped the ohms to 250 ohms. Much better.

You must be blasting some serious volume over there! My nearly 10 year old DT 770 Pros are the 32ohm version and have never been a problem with all of the modeling gear and hours of abuse that I have put them through over the years. But I might be up to 20 years younger than you so my hearing loss has time to build up to your tolerance level of SPL. I am working my way there though haha.

Back
Top Bottom