How much does actual amp change Axe Fx Tone?

I watched a YouTube video dialing in a gritty Marshall tone and followed step by step but just don’t get that kind of gritty hi gain Marshall tone from my Les Paul or Strat. I know guitars sound different and even the same guitar can be different in different hands but wonder how much my actual amp impacts the Axe Fx tone?

FWIW - I’m connecting my Axe Fx II XL to a Line 6 Spider Valve 212. I also tried headphones out of the Axe Fx which didn’t seem to make any difference. That said, does actual amp have a whole lot of impact and if so is there a Top 3 amps to use with the Axe?

Yes... the actual amp you use affects the tone a LOT. Amp, speakers, guitar, pickups, hands... everything. I have both a solid state power amp with Mesa cabs, and (recently) the Atomic CLR. A WORLD of difference. Some like the guitar amp/guitar speaker cab route, others the FRFR. I personally like both for different reasons. But, a FR (and they’re all voiced different) like a guitar amp... the FR allows you to use the AxeFX to its full potential (cab sims radically change your tone). With a guitar power amp and speakers, you have the basic ‘voice’ of your amp in everything. Whether that’s good or not depends on you.

For home playing, FRFR studio monitors will sound the best at all volumes and be the most accurate. They should not colour your tone at all but most will slightly unless you are spending the big bucks but I use a pair of Yamaha HS8's and they are not super expensive but they do cost 3 to 400 a piece depending on where you live. For live, I would use powered speakers like the Atomics with as well as going to front of house directly depending on the venue. I am not doing big venues and these days it looks like no one is at least in my country.

I just got a FM3 new less than 2 weeks ago. My first real modeling unit. I spent more time researching what I was going to plug the modeler into than I did researching the differences between various modelers. I‘m waiting on a Xitone cab.

I just got a FM3 new less than 2 weeks ago. My first real modeling unit. I spent more time researching what I was going to plug the modeler into than I did researching the differences between various modelers. I‘m waiting on a Xitone cab.
That's a good idea. I went through many different speakers before arriving at CLRs. They're the only ones I've used where I don't feel something out of balance or overly sheeny.

I play my axe II through 8" studio monitors. If I was to try to get through a youtube video on matching that person's tone I would try to use the same cab ir as them and use similar pickups or tone match their pickups if possible.

Back
Top Bottom