How much CPU power can I use in my AXE FX Turbo and have the patch transfer to the FM9 w/o glitches

Hackdog69

Inspired
I have an AXE-FX Turbo and now a FM9 turbo inbound,
How much CPU power from the AXE 3 can be effectively used in the FM9... if I have a preset on the AXE that is at 70% usage does the FM9 have the power to run that??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good idea, just looking for a ballpark estimate though. I’m sure sone folks on the forum have both and can ballpark it

As I said, it's almost impossible to tell because of the way things get allocated to the cores in each unit. Somethings will be 1:1 translateable. Some won't.

Here are some comparisions with factory presets. It's mostly unpredictable, to me, and I live in this gear all the time. The FM9 here is not a Turbo model. The III here is also not a Turbo -- it's a MkI Axe-Fx III.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.22.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.23.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.23.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.24.02 PM.png

The MTD is pretty CPU-intensive in that one above.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.24.21 PM.png

I'd have to start deleting blocks in that one above to figure out what's driving CPU use on the FM9.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.25.03 PM.png

And, of course, you can have more of some blocks on the III so you just won't be able to translate some things 1:1 even if you do have enough CPU to do it.

Last edited:
As I said, it's almost impossible to tell because of the way things get allocated to the cores in each unit. Somethings will be 1:1 translateable. Some won't.

Here are some comparisions with factory presets. It's mostly unpredictable, to me, and I live in this gear all the time. The FM9 here is not a Turbo model. The III here is also not a Turbo -- it's a MkI Axe-Fx III.

View attachment 106429

View attachment 106430

View attachment 106431

View attachment 106432

The MTD is pretty CPU-intensive in that one above.

View attachment 106433

I'd have to start deleting blocks in that one above to figure out what's driving CPU use on the FM9.

View attachment 106434

And, of course, you more of some blocks on the III so you just won't be able to translate some things 1:1 even if you do have enough CPU to do it.
VERY helpful, thank you!! @iaresee

My very unscientific conclusion AX3 at 57ish% using 2 econo reverbs 1 amp, 1 drive, plex delay, wah, comp, phaser, stereo standard cabs, pitch block, gate, 2 eq’s. Bout maxed out Turbo FM9. Pretty happy with that!!!

My very unscientific conclusion AX3 at 57ish% using 2 econo reverbs 1 amp, 1 drive, plex delay, wah, comp, phaser, stereo standard cabs, pitch block, gate, 2 eq’s. Bout maxed out Turbo FM9. Pretty happy with that!!!
Reverb runs on a dedicated core. Set it to highest quality if you want... No CPU increase.

I have an AXE-FX Turbo and now a FM9 turbo inbound,
How much CPU power from the AXE 3 can be effectively used in the FM9... if I have a preset on the AXE that is at 70% usage does the FM9 have the power to run that?
For the future, I’d strongly recommend not building presets on the FX3 then trying to move them down to the FM9 where they might work. Instead, do it the opposite direction, from the FM9 to the FX3, where you are guaranteed they will always work.

For this particular preset, start by comparing the blocks available on the two machines; the information is in the Blocks guide on p. 3. If there’s a match with both devices and the CPU load on the FX3 is 60% or less, then export it from the FX3 and import it to the FM9, and see what happens. During the import the FM9 will automatically strip blocks that don’t exist in it, and will ignore parameters that don’t exist, so, if it loads and the CPU load is OK, then play through both units and compare the sound.

That said, why would anyone want to NOT run the reverb on highest quality ?
Because, in a live band situation, or in a band mix when recorded, the higher quality makes little to no difference, and is totally lost. Only in a quiet solo situation can you really hear it. I always keep mine at the economy setting as a result.

There are situations where having no reverb is better, such as being in a very acoustically live room where reverb just turns your, and the band’s, sound to mush. I’ve read that it might be better to leave it to the FOH engineer to add it in if the room allows it, and our sound should be dry.

That said, why would anyone want to NOT run the reverb on highest quality ?

Because, in a live band situation, or in a band mix when recorded, the higher quality makes little to no difference, and is totally lost. Only in a quiet solo situation can you really hear it. I always keep mine at the economy setting as a result.
On the FM9 there is no downside as there's no additional "cost"... So go wild ;)

Back
Top Bottom