How much better are the FX8 / AFX II drives than the Ultra's?

Longtime Ultra user here. For live use I play a Bogner Shiva with a pedalboard, and will be looking to the FX8 to replace about 75% of what I have on the board. It looks perfect and I'm excited about it. I was curious about how the drive blocks will sound through the Shiva, so I hooked up my Ultra into the Shiva's clean channel, straight to the front of the amp, nothing turned on in the Ultra other than the drive block. The result was pretty discouraging (which is a nice way of saying it sounded terrible). Everything sounded very compressed. The drives sounded tinny and artificial. I got the best result with the BB Pre block, but nothing approaching the quality of drive I get from my Wampler/Xotic/Timmy pedals.

So the question is - are the drive blocks from the Axe-FX II, which will be included in the FX8, a big upgrade vs the Ultra? I'm sincerely hoping the answer is yes. I plan on getting the FX8 for the time-based and mod effects, but it would be really helpful if the drives are usable as well.

Hard to say. Recently FAS has been releasing a lot of updates for the FX. I dug this up from last Oct:

Version 16.01:
Improved Drive block algorithms for types based on the Tube Screamer.

Version 12:
Added LED Clip Type to Drive block (see above).
Added “FAS LED-Drive” Drive model.
Added “Tube Drv 4-Knob” Drive model based on a “4-knob” Butler Tube Driver. The existing “Tube Driver” model has been renamed “Tube Drv 3-Knob”.

version 10:
Improved all Drive models based on Tube Screamer circuit (Super OD, T808 OD, T808 OD Mod, Full OD, BB Pre, Eternal Love and Zen Master). Also reworked the Esoteric ACB, Esoteric RCB and Bender Fuzz models.

Version 7:
Added “Esoteric RCB” drive model based on Xotic RC Boost.
Added “Zen Master” drive model based on Hermida Zendrive.

Version 6.01:
Added “Eternal Love” type to Drive block. Based on a Lovepedal Eternity.
Added “Esoteric ACB” type to Drive block. Based on Xotic AC Boost.

I totally agree. The BB has given me the best results so far...the 4 knob tube driver and ts808 mod with the drive low and the level boosted are pretty good, as well as the FET boost and the FAS Led. Though unlike the modulation pedals, they aren't replacing my analog drives and fuzzes yet. I've been able to replace all my delays, tremolo, vibe and reverb pedals with Axe effects happily...I find the Axe to sound just as good as my analog pedals in those cases, and in some ways even better (stereo operation, tweak-ability, quieter, expression pedals, tempo sync etc.)...to be honest, the only thing I miss from the analog world in terms of modulation and time based effects is the spring reverb tank in my vintage fender amp (maybe fractal can try to improve the spring reverb in the axe fx)...for everything else i prefer the fractal...the drive pedals though aren't there yet to my ear and I am still most likely going to use my analog fuzzes, treble boosts and overdrives in front, and connect them via a midi switcher so they can become part of presets/scenes. I don't doubt that the Axe will one day (hopefully soon) be able to really replace all my analog pedals. I would be so happy if they could model the Analogman pedals that I adore, and get them right. Hopefully soon.

Until then, if anyone has any tips on tweaking the drive blocks to better match pedals, I'm all ears. :)

Maybe try and find a nearby AXE II to just try out the drives quick...? I actually enjoyed using my ultra in 4cm with the drives. They were at the time better than any other Multi unit but they have definitely been improved with the II. However, you still may not find them up to par.

Question, did you just use output 1 into the front? I would maybe max out the analog output 1 knob too if you didn't. Might make a little difference....

Drives and amps seem to be one of the hardest things for axe users to let go of...

Back
Top Bottom