How much better are the drives compared to the FM3?

The Axe-Fx III has a different algorithm. It solves the nonlinear ODE using a novel technique. That technique is currently too computationally expensive to run on the FM3.

How much better it sounds is subjective.

I'm still trying ways to reduce the CPU to get it to run on the FM3 but have yet to be successful.
Is it possible to add the new drive's (OCD,Horizon etc) to the current FM3 algorithm?

From Yek's Guide to Drive Models:

"Drive models which are not diode-based are the same on the Axe-Fx III and FM3. "

Sorry, but I thought that all the models were different betweeen Axe-FX and FM3. 🤦‍♂️

So, it's not that bad. :sweatsmile:

We can happilly wait FAS optimize the code to run on FM3.

@Carpercen From the front panel if you page over to the Adv page, the diode based drives have options to select Diode types (+/-) while the non-diode ones have a "Clip Type" selection instead.

Also see for latest FW 15 list (pg. 10) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/931hz6uhmplp7d5/Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Drive_Models.pdf?dl=0
The diode-based ones have the higher CPU around 8%. I've copied the list here.

BB Pre 8.7
Bender Fuzz 2.7
Bit Crusher 3.8
Blackglass B7K 2.8
Blues OD 8.8
Box o’Crunch 9
Compulsion Distortion (all) 8.7
DS1 Distortion (all) 8.8
Esoteric ACB 8.7
Esoteric RCB 8.7
Eternal Love 8.7
FAS Boost 8.7
FAS LED-Drive 8.7
FET Boost 2.6
FET Preamp 2.6
Face Fuzz 3.8
Fat Rat 8.7
Full OD 8.7
Hard Fuzz 2.6
Heartpedal 11 8.7
Hoodoo Drive 8.7
Horizon Precision Drive 8.7
Jam Ray 8.7
M-Zone Distortion 8.9
MCMLXXXI Drv 8.7
Master Fuzz 3.8
Micro Boost 2.6
Mid Boost 3.8
OD 250 (all) 8.7
Octave Distortion 2.7
PI Fuzz 3.8
Plus Distortion 8.7
Rat Distortion 8.7
SDD Preamp 2.6
Shimmer Drive 3.8
Shred Distortion 8.8
Suhr Riot (all) 8.9
Super OD 8.7
T808 (all) 8.7
TS9DX (all) 8.7
Tape Distortion 3.7
Timothy (all) 8.7
Tone of Kings 8.8
Treble Boost 3.8
Tube Drive (all) 3.3
Zen Master 8.7

Last edited:
@Carpercen From the front panel if you page over to the Adv page, the diode based drives have options to select Diode types (+/-) while the non-diode ones have a "Clip Type" selection instead.

Also see for latest FW 15 list (pg. 10) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/931hz6uhmplp7d5/Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Drive_Models.pdf?dl=0
The diode-based ones have the higher CPU around 8%. I've copied the list here.

Thanks man! Awesome info! Looks like a lot of them are diode based... I hope the new algoritm make it's way eventually to FM3 😭

If the algorithm doesn’t make it into the fm3 does this mean the fm3 will be a second class citizen for all new drives in the future ?
I am close to purchasing an FM3, but was wondering if the FM3 will be receiving the improved drives that are currently on the Axe FX III. Also, will any of the new drive models be included on the FM3 in the future (e.g. 1981 DRV)? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

New Members, please educate yourselves and quit buying into all of the negative rhetoric when it comes to the FM3 updates. The FM3 has received some of the drives and enhancements from the Axe III (FW 10.0), just not the latest one (FW 13.0). The drives in the FM3 are excellent and will always be excellent. The Axe III's updates are not going to somehow change how the FM3 drives sound and feel.

It's been stated several times before; the FM3 may not receive all of the "enhancements" or updates the Axe III gets. The FM3 doesn't have the processing power of the Axe III, period. It's also been stated that any features the Axe III gets that can be ported to the FM3 will be ported. It's always the same theme though; people want the flagship for half the cost.

If the FM3 gives you what you need, in its current form, buy it. Comparing it to the Axe III and hoping it will somehow keep pace with updates is ridiculous. The FM3 is not going to sound worse over time; leaving it with the current firmware, it will sound exactly the way it currently does 10 years from now. However, it wouldn't be a stretch to say it's going to sound better in the future with firmware updates.

If you're falling for the FOMO rhetoric and lamenting the lack of support from Fractal, either buy another product at the same price-point and live with its shortcomings or spend more to get the Axe III. Or quit expecting the unrealistic and look at the FM3 as a unit that allows users to spend less and reap the benefits of the best modelling platform on the market with the best support of any product on the market.

Same here. I just ordered one as well. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the replies. I’m crossing my fingers that the latest drive algorithms cross over to the FM3, as I’ve heard good things about them.

Yes the thing with me isn’t that I am dissatisfied with existing drives I guess I just want to mess with the new drives , but I understand the programming constraints of the cpu .

How much better are the drives of the Axe fx 3 than the drives on the Axe fx 2. Is it night and day? Are some models more improved than other?

How much better are the drives of the Axe fx 3 than the drives on the Axe fx 2. Is it night and day? Are some models more improved than other?
I only have experience with the AX8/FX8 vs the Axe III/FM3 drives. I wouldn't say there's a night and day difference, the drives are quite good in the AX8 and FX8. There is a noticeable difference though in the feel of the models and the interaction with the amp is more 'realistic'. To me the drives in the Axe III feel like they are really a separate pedal, not something that's just added to the tone.

Being someone who has tinkered with pedal building, one thing I like about the Axe III drives is the ability to swap out diode types and the number of diodes. With the graphic EQ, new Bass Response and Dry Mix parameters, there's really not a drive made that can't be replicated with the Axe III. I felt that way with the FX8 but with the Diode options, Bass Response and Dry Mix, the ability to dial in specific drives is at a completely different level.

Back
Top Bottom