How many using 1 master patch?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
With the ability to have almost limitless CPU and the channels, how many have done one master patch that they reuse across all patches?

I was doing that with the Axe-FX II and I do the same with the III. I try to use 1 patch per band/style/gig when possible. I make heavy use of Scenes and Channels and expect to do even more once the FC's come out.

Most of my patches are laid out the same, and I just swap in different amp/drive blocks, then tweak the other effects when needed..

Guilty. I have one preset using the channels for different amp stages (clean to mean). I have a few amps setup but don't use to many.

I have 3 main patches covering the styles I play most. On top of that I have a number of presets designed for specific songs. So...not one...but very limited number of patches ;)

Only time I do that is when I'm tweeking
a patch and the tone is changed drastically to something different. Otherwise I start from scratch most cases...

I have 1 clean, 1 dirt, 1 heavy, and 1 lead sound. I have other presets that are variations on those 4 basic sounds. Makes life much simpler.

For me the 5153 100W blue model cant be beat. There are other good models for heavy style amps, but there is just something special about the 5153. It is thicker, harmonically richer, and just sounds more musical than the others.

For me the 5153 100W blue model cant be beat. There are other good models for heavy style amps, but there is just something special about the 5153. It is thicker, harmonically richer, and just sounds more musical than the others.
Love the 50watt model too. I am (finally) having my first practice this evening with the III. "Looking forward to it" is a huge understatement.

I have exactly 2 presets (three if you count my acoustic preset which just gets routed out to my Fishman preamp).

Clean with more or less grit & effects spread across all 8 scenes, and a dirty patch similarly set up.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I am such a fan of the FCB1010 as a foot controller. When you only need 2 pedals for presets (okay, 3) and 4 for scenes (each toggles between 2 scenes), then you still have 2 expression pedals and 3 foot switches that can be assigned to other stuff. It pays to be simplistic :)

Initially, I had only ONE master preset, as the OP talks about. Trouble with this was, since I use Axe Edit III to edit, it was causing glitches because the CPU was almost maxed out. There is definitley NOT "unlimited" CPU power - that's for sure. In fact, I regularly come into the 80%s and 90%s with what I feel are fairly basic pedalboard & amp setups.

In any case, I'd rather ride the 60%s CPU and have Axe Edit III respond somewhat quicker than try to cram my whole gig into one preset. Two is perfect. I may branch out more if I ever get inspired to sound JUST like the band we're covering, but as it stands, I just sound like me playing those songs and I'm okay with that :)

Just curious, is there a reason why you prefer the 100W to the 50W?

@OP Funny you ask this question... this is what I've been challenging myself with all week, the 8 scene everything preset! With 8 scenes and all the channels avail in blocks can really get a lot in one preset.

One thing I started doing is to go back to factory presets and find blocks that I like how they are dialed in and save them to the block library to use as starting points in my own presets instead of trying to start from scratch to find those sounds.

I have a "kitch sink" preset with global blocks, which I use as a template for most presets.

In my bands I use a preset per song. Reason: I can set the tempo for each song, name scenes for the different parts, recall the song notes on my iPad app, etc.

I have a "kitch sink" preset with global blocks, which I use as a template for most presets.

In my bands I use a preset per song. Reason: I can set the tempo for each song, name scenes for the different parts, recall the song notes on my iPad app, etc.
More power to you. I get confused just trying to match amp model controls between 3 patches. I could use global blocks but I will tend to copy and play around with my patches from time to time, forgetting that I am using global blocks.

Back
Top Bottom