How many tried the III and decided to just keep using the II?

I could not face the pain of reaping $0.11. I prefer to dream about opening my front door and then seeing the beautiful brown box. It’s just the Willy Wonka in me.
Wishing a Golden Ticket your way. After 31 years in LE, I’m joining the ranks of the retired in January. A third of the income, but still looking forward to it.

To the OP, had an XL+ and AX8. Ended up selling both and just have the III now. As for “need” I could still be playing my Ultra from 2011. The III has been the best of 5 FAS units I’ve ordered, so I couldn’t see any reason to go back to any previous unit, though I loved every one of them!

Wishing a Golden Ticket your way. After 31 years in LE, I’m joining the ranks of the retired in January. A third of the income, but still looking forward to it.

To the OP, had an XL+ and AX8. Ended up selling both and just have the III now. As for “need” I could still be playing my Ultra from 2011. The III has been the best of 5 FAS units I’ve ordered, so I couldn’t see any reason to go back to any previous unit, though I loved every one of them!
Not to hijack the op but you are spot on regarding retirement. Lots of time but not much money. And many thanks for your years of service Rick.

I'm in 3 bands these days, so my current musical life is all rehearsals and gigs and little to no home studio time. My AX8 is killing it! I simply don't want a rackmount. I will fight all of you to be first in line for the next Fractal floor processor.

The Axe 2 is smaller and lighter.
That's a significant advantage.
Is it lighter? If so, I don't think by much. I definitely don't notice it. Do you have a reference for the weights?

Also, I would argue that a 3-space unit that fits a shallow rack is a significant advantage over a 2-space that requires a deep rack. Very much easier to move, IMO.

Axe FX 3.

DIMENSIONS
Width:
19.00in (482.6mm)
Height: 5.16in (131.1mm)
Depth: 11.530in (292.87mm) including front handles and rear jacks
Weight: 15 lbs 2.4 oz (6.87 kg)
Shipping Carton: 23" x 17" x 12" (~21 lbs./9.5 kg shipping weight)

Axe FX 2

Dimensions: 19” × 3.5” × 14.25” (483 × 88 × 362 mm)
Weight: 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)

Boxed: 17 lbs. 22 x 18 x 8 inches.

The Axe 3 is shallower (by 2.72 inches) but the flip side is it's 3U and 50% heavier.

To be honest it would be odd for that to sway anyone's opinions on buying given it some of the crazy racks we used to have.
I think that depth comparison is misleading because the measurement for the Axe Fx III includes the handles, and I'm pretty sure the ones for Axe Fx II do not.

"How many tried the III and decided to just keep using the II?"
Is this even possible? Some things in the universe have a 0% chance of happening.. well actually a 0.000001e-500 % chance before the sun burns out, because according to Quantum understanding, given infinite time even the remotest possibility happens. Sadly there is a universe where Jimi picked a trumpet to learn to play, but fortunately it wasn't our universe, and somewhere there is a lucky universe where Jimi is playing an AXE FXIII right now. I digress. :)

All I can say is 40 years worth of Rush tones are programmed into my Axe III and via the MFC, I'm able to recall any of 70+ sounds with no issue. First gig was a piece of cake.

Dude, any chance of sharing any of those up on AxeChange or on the forum? Please?

I bought my II just before my oldest child was born. Now, I have two kids and no discretionary money to buy expensive toys like the AFX3!

However, if I thought I couldn't live without it, I'd sell the II plus some other gear and take the plunge. I'm getting great recorded tones out of the II, though, and my studio wish list is more along the lines of expanding my VSTi options, these days. I'm sure the difference between the II and III will widen more dramatically over time, but for my situation right now that difference isn't big enough.

I was one of the early adopters of the II. Mine is a Mark 1 I think. I'm not above saying I took an afternoon off work and sat there hitting F5 all afternoon (prior to the waiting list coming out) only to have it sold out before I could place the order. It could not have taken me more than a minute to enter my order from the time it showed up as in stock.

I was so content with the II that I waited until the waiting list was done before I would even watch videos on the III.

Finally, the November sale got me and I had to buy one.

Funny thing is I thought I would sell the II, but I have actually put two of my tube amps for sale instead. The plan is to use the III for the home studio and the II for playing in a band context. The II still sounds amazing.

I owned the Standard, the Ultra, the II and now the III.

All of them are still top of the line IMO.

Don't know how to do that- pretty new to Fractal.
You can go into Axe Edit and export a preset to your computer, or you can use FractalBot to make a backup.

Then use the "Upload a File" button in the thread to attach it to a message.

If you’re a tone fanatic, already owned / own an Axe processor, want the best your money can buy (that should pretty much account for all of us here) and you have the money to consider upgrading to the III,.. why wouldn’t you? Unless heavy, tempermental tube amps and stomp boxes are your thing. I love tube amps, but I’m not going back. Got my tones, fx, and as a gigging guitarist... it’s much easier on my bad lower back. Fractal rules!

Not sure why someone would do that if they had money for it. I could see someone sticking with mainly the AX8 after using the III though.

1) You don't like the three units format.
2) You don't need the extra features of the III
3) You don't want to spend or wayste time tweaking your presets because of the constant FW updates.
4) You don't want to tweak all your presets again to fit in the III

Those are the 4 reasons I keep telling myself to not buy the III.

Back
Top Bottom