How many tried the III and decided to just keep using the II?

1) You don't like the three units format.
2) You don't need the extra features of the III
3) You don't want to spend or wayste time tweaking your presets because of the constant FW updates.
4) You don't want to tweak all your presets again to fit in the III

Those are the 4 reasons I keep telling myself to not buy the III.

1 - I'm trying to make my rig smaller rather than bigger / heavier because I mostly play overseas and we're looking for ways to reduce the costs over baggage we have with the airlines

2 - the extra features would certainly offer me tremendous opportunities that I'd love to explore to make my presets even more capable

3 - this has never been an issue for me.. I never found myself tweaking anything unless I was adding new functionality that came with the update.. so tweaking was rare but always beneficial

4 - I'd look forward to this because it'd take my rig to the next level and I'd only have to go through this once.. I think it'd be an exciting opportunity

the III for me is a double edged sword..
do I need one? no
will I benefit? no: transport costs / yes: functionality
do I want one? absolutely

just thought... to answer the original question posed in this thread:

no I've not tried the III
but I have read the manual cover to cover..
it just made me want one

I told a friend of mind new to Fractal to get the discounted XL+ which I own for $1799.He buy's the Axe3 for $2499.Brings it over to my studio and for 2 days we are tracking demo's for a new project.In his own words he said he wasted $700 by buying the 3 over the XL+.I agreed with him 100%.Flame on muddafookers!

Not a flame, but by buying the III your friend may have gotten way way way more then he actually needed, on the flipside he also got a piece of gear that has a lot more long term growth potential. So maybe its overkill now, but it might not be overkill tomorrow.

If he doesn't want it he's free to exchange it with my XL+ though. I'll even pay for the shipping for the both of us. :D:cool:

I play my Axe-Fx II XL+ more than my Axe-Fx III bc my II has most of my presets and my FAMC LF+ works perfectly with it. Once the bugs are fixed in the LF+ v6.05, I will start using my III.

I've done a lot of comparison tests with the II and III and I can get my II to sound 99.99% like my III. The main difference between them is that the III has tons more IR's and includes IR's that sound better than the what's in the II. Also the factory presets sound a lot better in the III, so that increases the OOBE. If you use the same IR for both devices, you probably won't be able to hear a difference but you might feel a difference bc the III seems to be more dynamic.

I got my III to replace my II XL+ for recording and sold and replaced my Axe-Fx II MK I live rig with my II XL+. I wish there was an Axe-Fx Amp plugin bc I still use the Line 6 Helix Native plugin for convenience.

yes it is an argument against the III in my case
for my needs, the III has pro's and con's
the pro's are without doubt the additional functionality like channels and the larger grid
the con's are size and weight when I'm under pressure to reduce my touring rig

for 2019 [after we've played the Cruise to the Edge festival] I'll be looking into a few options:
- get a II / MFC in country and load them with my config; which is a scary risk if the supplier lets me down
- switch back to the VG99/FC300 cos it's smaller / lighter
- look at the GT1000

tone and functionality wise, going back to Roland will be a major step backwards but my choices are limited
the big issue came a few years ago when airlines stopped letting be take the guitars in gig bags and putting them in the overhead locker..
that meant getting a double flight case for them, which when loaded weighs 30kg..
it's a luggage item and big chunk of weight I've never had to consider before and it's hurting us
we need to get the flying costs lower, especial for long haul [the Americas and far east]

I don't want to get any flame because I trully believe that Fractal has the best modeling around, but if you can't get an AX8 for your fly rig, you should definitely get a close look on the Atomic Amplifire 12. In my opinion it's closer to an amp than a Helix, a Headrush or a GT1000. And it's pretty affordable as well.

I don't want to get any flame because I trully believe that Fractal has the best modeling around, but if you can't get an AX8 for your fly rig, you should definitely get a close look on the Atomic Amplifire 12. In my opinion it's closer to an amp than a Helix, a Headrush or a GT1000. And it's pretty affordable as well.

you won't get flamed by me..
I know the AX8 has great modelling, but it falls down by only having one amp and so loses some of the flexibility I need
not looked at the Atomic.. thanks for the headsup
to be honest, tone is just a part of it.. live the Roland VG99 was fine for me until I switched to the Axe..
sure it's a major step backwards to the VG99 or GT1000, but I toured the VG99 for a few years without issue
and I'd like to the think the GT1000 is a step up from the VG99

you won't get flamed by me..
I know the AX8 has great modelling, but it falls down by only having one amp and so loses some of the flexibility I need
not looked at the Atomic.. thanks for the headsup
to be honest, tone is just a part of it.. live the Roland VG99 was fine for me until I switched to the Axe..
sure it's a major step backwards to the VG99 or GT1000, but I toured the VG99 for a few years without issue
and I'd like to the think the GT1000 is a step up from the VG99

Helix didn't make the cut with you for a potential fly rig? It sucks that airlines are making it so hard for musicians to travel. I did it a couple of times in 2012 and it was already a pain in the ass then.

I've done a lot of comparison tests with the II and III and I can get my II to sound 99.99% like my III. The main difference between them is that the III has tons more IR's and includes IR's that sound better than the what's in the II. Also the factory presets sound a lot better in the III, so that increases the OOBE. If you use the same IR for both devices, you probably won't be able to hear a difference but you might feel a difference bc the III seems to be more dynamic.
Interesting observation. When you click on the “Learn More” button for the III on the FAS website, the amp modeling doesn’t even show up till about the bottom half of the page. There is a lot of talk about power, CPU, the display, IO monitoring, 8x8 USB, signal path quality and then the amp modeling. It is almost as if the quality of the amps is what it is and that these other features are the emphasis for the III. Yes there are new guitar based features like a capo (though I just bought one for like $8.99 and now can’t justify 2,400 for it!) but if you are a gigging musician then improved visibility via the screen, more routing options and better signal quality would be important if the sound and feel is basically there.

Interesting observation. When you click on the “Learn More” button for the III on the FAS website, the amp modeling doesn’t even show up till about the bottom half of the page. There is a lot of talk about power, CPU, the display, IO monitoring, 8x8 USB, signal path quality and then the amp modeling. It is almost as if the quality of the amps is what it is and that these other features are the emphasis for the III. Yes there are new guitar based features like a capo (though I just bought one for like $8.99 and now can’t justify 2,400 for it!) but if you are a gigging musician then improved visibility via the screen, more routing options and better signal quality would be important if the sound and feel is basically there.

Here's some good examples.

I went ahead and bought a III on Monday, but I'm not sure I'll use it for gigs and rehearsals, as opposed to some studio tinkering.

Reason one is the size, it's 3U instead of 2U, and while it's not much per se, in my case I'll have to redo all of our band's rig if I choose to switch.

Reason two is there's no foot controller for the III that can do what I need.

So yeah, there may be reasons to use the II while the III is out.

I have not tried the lll, but will stay with the ll. The ll has more amps, cabs, effects, and abilities than I will ever use.
Same here, I'll probably never buy a III because I "need one", it would only be because I "want one". I currently carry my entire Axe Fx rig (Axe II and MFC), less my CLR, in a single 4u rack bag, which is borderline for a weight and size that I'd want to carry. Anything larger, and I'd have to use a 2nd bag, I'm good.

Last edited:
I bought the 3 and sold the 2xl+. I hope the buyer feels like he made a good choice (coming from Mesa amps); I know I did, but that’s no skin off the 2.

The dev in the 3 has been expansive and frequent. Thx FAS!

Well... just to be honest... i have the handbrake all up for now and stay with My AxeFxII with the RAC12 add-on and my MFC with 2 Mission pedals and my handbuilt 4 switches extension and the FracPad wireless app and the Yamaha wireless midi dongle.
For me this is a complete eco-system... maybe in the future if/when i can translate all this eco-system to the AxeFx III world...
But i know how things goes...
When i picked my Axe Fx II... just 1 year after the Axe Fx II XL was on the shelf!
So i know that... when i'll pick the AxeFxIII... the AxeFxIII XL or the AxeFxIV will be on the shelf!!!
It's the sad story of my life and of my wallet!

Just curious and reasons why?
I actually had the III for a brief moment. Just came down to dollars and cents....... the IIXL+ I have does a great job and at the moment, I had to be realistic about finances. Without a doubt, the III is amazing and hopefully by late spring, I will be able to purchase another. It really hurt having to send the III back after having it in my hands, but work was just too slow to justify another $1000 or so I would have had to come up with after selling the IIxl+

I actually had the III for a brief moment. Just came down to dollars and cents....... the IIXL+ I have does a great job and at the moment, I had to be realistic about finances. Without a doubt, the III is amazing and hopefully by late spring, I will be able to purchase another. It really hurt having to send the III back after having it in my hands, but work was just too slow to justify another $1000 or so I would have had to come up with after selling the IIxl+
Agreed. I may be selling mine as the II works great and the lack of FC is frustrating and has kept me from using the III live after 2 months of owning. The MFC101 is hard for me to program to how I want with it and I'll probably wait until a used deal for the III and the new FC comes out. I really do like the III, but the II is programmed and works great together.

Helix didn't make the cut with you for a potential fly rig? It sucks that airlines are making it so hard for musicians to travel. I did it a couple of times in 2012 and it was already a pain in the ass then.
I tried the Helix for a few months [a pal was kind enough to loan me his]
it's a great unit but failed in areas I needed it to be strong..
the pitch shifter in particular is really poor

Back
Top Bottom