How many prefer patches to scenes and vice versa...also why do you prefer?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Just curious of those that don't like scenes and why they choose the patch route instead. Also the other way around too. Just wondered what most of you use. Thanks!

I usually use scenes. I have recently been changing the preset on each song though. Its mostly the exact same preset other than changing the tempo and name of the preset to match song. I like keeping track of song order through my MFC. Helps keep me on track. I then use my scenes as follows.
scene 1 edge of break up
scene 2 mid gain
scene 3 high gain
scene 4 edge of break up + 3db volume boost
scene 5 mid gain + 3db volume boost
scene 6 high gain + 3db volume boost
scene 7+8 per preset/song
Probably not the best way but it works for me. I can always get where ever I want to go by pushing one switch. I mainly play live and have really simplified things over the years which I have really liked.
Just curious of those that don't like scenes and why they choose the patch route instead. Also the other way around too. Just wondered what most of you use. Thanks!

Audio gaps are a deal breaker for me. So I switch Presets between songs, and Scenes during the songs.

A preset for each song, with the song name as the preset title. This allows me to use between 2 and 5 scenes, always set up (roughly) the same basic way.

1... Main rhythm tone.
2... Alternate rhythm tone (if any).
3... Alternate solo tone (if any).
4... Main solo tone (if any).
5... Special (if any).

A couple of (loaded) presets with 8 scenes and 'AI' switches to cover 50 songs is actually more confusing to me than a preset per song, with a few standard scenes??

There is a third way: IAs.

Like Moke I switch Presets between songs. If I need to make multiple changes, such as changing amp and Reverb settings for a solo, I’ll use Scenes. Usually I switch things in and out with IAs.

i feel you've asked this several times recently :D

most people use Presets (Patches) for different songs or "sound sets" - meaning that the Preset contains all the options. songs are self-explanitory. but let's say you have a "alternative rock" preset with certain amps and effects, then you have a "metal" preset with different amps, cabs, effects, then a "jazz" preset, and so on.

at your gig, instead of changing presets song to song, it's more about the type of song it is. and these 3 presets that i just mentioned were all auditioned in rehearsal and mixed with your band and their instruments and tones. now you have options for different sounds, rather than having specific sounds per song, and this will go a long, long way.

most audience members can discern clean and distortion - that's it. boogie vs marshall vs low gain vs high gain... they barely can tell. an effect, perhaps, can be discerned as well, but they usually don't know a phaser from a chorus, they just know "something" is happening in the song. this is advantageous to us as musicians :D

anyway, within the Preset, you can create Scenes. just think of Scenes as "pressing several buttons at the same time." turn chorus and delay on in Scene 2. turn on drive and reverb in Scene 3. Scene 1 is dry - all effects turn off. this lets you keep your base "alt rock" tone, yet change many things with 8 available Scenes.

i do all my gigs with one Preset. i use 5 Scenes primarily, sometimes 6. this is pretty much outlined in that video i posted in one of your other recent threads, though it's changed a bit recently:

S1 - Clean Detune sound - clean amp, pitch detune - optional Dot 1/8 delay, drive, multidelay, etc
S2 - Clean Lead - clean amp, GEQ for boost, lead delay
S3 - Multidelay "verb" - clean amp with long diffused delay for slow passages
S4 - Ruckus drive - clean amp with drive on
S5 - High gain tone - high gain amp
S6 - High gain lead - high gain amp, GEQ block for boost, lead delay

throughout the gig, i just change Scenes since all the tones i need are there. i have other effects that i turn on with their own on/off switches.

that's really all there is to it. it's not "Presets vs Scenes" - they aren't separate, they work together.

can you elaborate on what may be confusing, or what you don't get, or is it a setup thing? Scenes just turn on or off multiple things - do you ever need to do that during the gig?

When I first started out with the Axe I did what I used to do, separate presets for everything, cause I didn't know any better. Which caused me to have a whole bank of presets for a whole song. And then I discovered scenes and pfff, game changer! Followed by discovering X/Y switching, even bigger game changer! Now I have whole banks full of songs, and the only time I still switch presets during songs is when I have need for too many FX then the Axe's DSP can handle in a single preset.

I just started using scenes in my main preset...mostly use them for fx combinations within the preset and to make it easier to select something on the fly via the bottom row...vs having to hit something on the other rows...

There is a third way: IAs.

Like Moke I switch Presets between songs. If I need to make multiple changes, such as changing amp and Reverb settings for a solo, I’ll use Scenes. Usually I switch things in and out with IAs.
IA? Indefinite Acronym?

i started using the axe before scenes and never changed my workflow. i still use external modifiers for everything. one patch per song, usually two or three gain levels available, one switch for lead, which will goose the amp with a drive, increase delay and reverb level. other switches for chorus, phaser, delay etc.

most audience members can discern clean and distortion - that's it. boogie vs marshall vs low gain vs high gain... they barely can tell. an effect, perhaps, can be discerned as well, but they usually don't know a phaser from a chorus, they just know "something" is happening in the song. this is advantageous to us as musicians :D
Ain't this the truth!!! We get all caught up in the differences between the C45 and the regular BE, or the 4x12 Recto 121 B vs the 4x12 Recto 121 C REV ... And all the audience cares about is the singer ;-)

Using more than one preset in a song has too many possible complications - keeping the levels balanced, spillover, and of course the switching gap (unless I'm just jamming, or experimenting at practice, and need to change to something completely different). So I just stick to one per song... my multi-purpose presets can cover most of what I play, and then I'll have song-specific ones as needed.

When you have 3 different effects to switch on/off you can have 8 different combinations. But you only need 3 IA switches to cover these 8.

So I never tried to use scenes, I use IAs instead. It's a stomp box kind of setup.

I'll probably use scenes when the new FC is released. This will make more sense because you can name the scenes. What an F'n concept!!!

As others have said above, it’s not really an either/or thing for me, I use them both.

I build presets like self-contained rigs, so I’ll have a given amp and cab in a preset and then different scenes for different levels and effects and whatnot. Then for live use I’ll typcially use 4 or so different presets built like that together, to cover the bases from clean to low/mid gain to high gain to lead.

I messed around with using way more presets in the past with the preset-per-song thing, but found I preferred the consistency of just using a handful of solid general purpose tones (and so did the soundperson for that matter, lol). YMMV of course, though, different things work for different people and different situations.

When you have 3 different effects to switch on/off you can have 8 different combinations. But you only need 3 IA switches to cover these 8.

So I never tried to use scenes, I use IAs instead. It's a stomp box kind of setup.

Or..... you could create a preset and turn on or off those 8 different combinations with a single stomp.

While we probably all came from the traditional stomp box setup, we no longer have to adhere to thinking like that. We are being given the freedom to think beyond that and we should take it.

Like many others, I have a number of presets made just for individual songs and then have scenes within those presets.

Scenes are just the best. It’s so cool to press one pedal and go from a lush clean sound that has chorus and delay into a powerful high gain lead tone. I can’t even think how many pedal stomps that would have been back in the day.

As was mentioned, the audience won’t notice the subtle differences scenes allow. However, this is all for me. Having all of this power at my feet and the crisp tones are more inspiring for my playing. I play better when I love my sound.

Or..... you could create a preset and turn on or off those 8 different combinations with a single stomp.

...so it could happen that I need to tap 8 times to reach scene 8?
And I'd need to learn the 8 scenes for each preset.

BTW: It was just an example about 3 IAs.
In reality I have 11 IA's now. That makes 2048 possible combinations.

Back
Top Bottom