How many patches do you all use?

I have about 10 Jimi/SRV presets,30 Deftones presets, a few odd balls like Def Leppard, Metallica, Deep Purple, and Meshuggah. Also mabye 10 I grabbed from other users. So I guess that's nearly 70 "cover" presets and maybe another 20 factory ones that I also can't live without lol....and counting

Play in a rock covers band – modern and classic stuff.

As is the way with a new toy I spent hours programming a patch for each song – around 60 in total; each with different FX and scenes. While this was ‘fun’ and a great way of learning how the AX8 / FX2 work it’s a total pain in the ass when playing live when I want to concentrate on playing and putting on a show rather than worrying about patches and will my big foot hit the wrong button!!

Now I have 6 main sounds: 1 clean, 2 crunch, 2 high gain rhythm and one lead with FX and scenes just to keep me on my toes.

That said the unit sounds so crazy good I could easily do a whole gig on the JCM800 #34
I am still new to the FX III and I don’t want to spend hours making patches. Like you I want a few patches that will get the job done right. I just bought the new VOES midi and want tomfind this essential classic rock tones. Would you mind sharing yours with me.

I have 10 presets to cover everything with my bands, ranging from clean to moderately heavy. I mainly use about 6 of them for my needs. Fender or Shiver for cleans... Marshall’s / Boogies / Friedman’s for mild to heavier sounds. I use an ART X-15 midi controller with the 2 expression pedals ( one assigned to give me a volume boost for solos, the other for whatever effect I might use. I’m not big with effects, and I’ll use just a dash of reverb in all my presets ) I’ll also assign the bypass button on the controller for an effect on/off if I need it. I have a couple more banks of 10 with some different or similar amp sims with the same various gain stages to experiment with to see if I can improve on the tones I use.

I do a preset per song with scenes, no individual FX on/off switches. My other guitar player in my band is just using a 3 channel tube head and 4x12. So I use two amp models one for super clean and acoustic tones the other for cleanish to mean. I use one cab IR for everything accept for acoustic tones. In this manner I have two dirt levels for the gain amp that match my mates head. I just set up each song as needed with FX across scenes and minor EQ amp level adjustments

If my band mate had an AX8 or Axe FX it would be a whole other story. Sucks to have the guitar tool of the gods and have to dumb it down to the point of one amp and cab.

Top 40, Jazz, Old school, Classic Rock, Blues, Heavy Metal and solo acoustic.

I use 5 scenes per preset. 20 - 30 song specific and 3 "bread n' butter" kitchen sink patches. And kick in IAs at will.

Clean, Dirt, Crunch, Solo (mid/fat), Searing Leads

Some of my patches ...ie.."Journey" ...scene 4 is background or answering type leads and scene 5 same but boosted.

Santana.....Clean, Dirt, Dirt 2, Fat solo, brighter solo (6 song specific patches with 2 main)

U2, ....Don't ask...LOL...(sweet)

Boston....Don't ask....LOL 2 (super sweet)

Looking forward to cutting down presets with the AxeIII. Same as others, need to focus on playing and not foot switching paranoia.

1 preset for every song, except for 1 which I had to split, otherwise I would have run into CPU overload territory.

I do a preset per song with scenes, no individual FX on/off switches. My other guitar player in my band is just using a 3 channel tube head and 4x12. So I use two amp models one for super clean and acoustic tones the other for cleanish to mean. I use one cab IR for everything accept for acoustic tones. In this manner I have two dirt levels for the gain amp that match my mates head. I just set up each song as needed with FX across scenes and minor EQ amp level adjustments

If my band mate had an AX8 or Axe FX it would be a whole other story. Sucks to have the guitar tool of the gods and have to dumb it down to the point of one amp and cab.

You're playing live, you're supposed to have your guitar tone dialed in into the mix, not change amp settings all over the place, making things like hell for the sound engineer and making want to commit gross acts of murder on you. You want to play around with a gazilion amp settings, record an album. Live you got to keep things more simple.

I don’t use too many
The core is
Acoustic sim , clean, crunch, Modernhi gain , lead

The amps used
Fender Deluxe , Morgan
Bad kitty , Marshall Satriani
Recto ,Dzl ,Uber on the modern
Rythm chunk

So I basically have patched that have 2 instances of each for clean crunch hi gain lead

80's Hair Band...

5 patches...Clean,Rhythm, Lead w/delay, Lead w/wah, Lead w/phazer..

SUPER simple, same amp,cab for dirty stuff...

Only change is if I play detuned. In this case I bank up one and its a 1/2 pitch,(all same 5 patches) and up another bank for a whole step pitch!!(same original 5 patches)

When we play bars at volume, 99% of the people there only care if it sounds good,(myself included) not for the "authenticity" of the original recording.
The song is awesome !

Wow....so literally I'm the only asshole that uses that many patches(70). LOL!

I play Classic Rock, and use a lot of patches as well, but there is an 80/20 - 80% of the material I cover can be done with a few go to presets (clean, vintage amp pushed, @Moke’s JCM800 crunch/lead [very versatile], Friedman HBE for leads). I have probably 20-30 song-specific presets, but I have been steadily consolidating by using scenes more extensively and configuring presets to bring expression pedals to bring certain effects in and out (e.g., harmonizers, solo tones and boosts) — in effect serving as scenes. Certain songs require specific presets to nail a tone — think Owner of a Lonely Heart, David Gilmour, or anything from Boston, or to cover effects — think Harmonies in Hotel California — whereas the general presets cover most of the other territory.

I used to play around with multiple presets until I really started laying into the Tucana Lead. With an expression pedal set to control input drive, I don't even need a clean amp most times!

I am still very new to the Axe FX III. There has been a steep learning curve and frankly, I really don't want to learn to write my own patches. Call me lazy if you like, I just want to play the guitar and not worry about learning all the new stuff. I have searched through a lot pf pre sets and came across pre sets written by Marco Fanton, http://www.marcofanton.it/fractal-axe-fx-iii.html, I bought all of them and now they are my go to pre sets. He gives you several scenes to choose from and they are high quality patches. Between these pre sets and my VOES MX 12 I feel that I have accomplished my goals and have developed a very high quality universal sound.

I use around 5/6 all of which have 5 scenes each with my cover band. At home I probably use around 15

Back
Top Bottom