How many patches do you all use?

My band plays pop covers in pubs. My live set up has five patches. Last night I used three of them: Fender clean, Dumble and an Acoustic simulation. Each patch has the same arrangement of effects, for which I use IAs rather than Scenes.

I use 3 for each guitar:
- Clean
- Dirty
- Heavy

4 for my Bass
- Clean
- Driven
- Heavy
- Fuzz

But when it comes to recording, I use a seperate preset for each song. It'll generally be one of the above, but with a few tweaks to suit the mix\whatever.

30 for looping... mostly ambient and reggae/dub. Gotta love those tempo synced delays! Also 5 with 5 scenes for playing in a jam band, but I use mainly only 2 of them. It sure is nice to be able to load some strange preset at the most opportune time and blow every bodies mind though.
If I was actually playing shows as much as you guys who only use a couple of meat and potatoes sounds, I don't think I would even use an Axe FX. Probably go back old style to a combo amp and a handful of pedals.

Genre: Idunno... Classic rock-ish

These days I use two presets, that are basically the same execpt for the input that is boosted in one, that I use for guitars w a bit lower output plus my "stand-by whammy" (should i feel for a spotaneous wierdo sqeech) is replaced with a Rotary on one of the presets.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing around with other presets/amps etc, but for live and rehearsals I use these as I know and trust them.

Three.
One for my metal band where I'm the singer, and guitar player. The patch takes care of bass, guitar and vocal delay all at the same time.
The other is for my rock band, where I'm the bass player - It's for two guitars.
The last one is just for bass, to use at home.

Rock, pop, blues, funk, soul from 60s to present, I use about 6-7 generic presets based on different amps (Plexi, AC30, Twin, Friedman, Trainwreck etc) with a couple of scenes set up as variations, and possibly up to 10 song-specific patches depending on the set

I have one for every song. I actually enjoy trying to come up with a particular tone or effect for each track. I have somewhere around 40 and counting...

About 35, mostly effect and exp pedal control variations from about 10 main presets. Hence the rest of bank A is filled up with "nice to have sounds" just for jamming around with myself or some radio music for kicks, from time to time.

Play in a rock covers band – modern and classic stuff.

As is the way with a new toy I spent hours programming a patch for each song – around 60 in total; each with different FX and scenes. While this was ‘fun’ and a great way of learning how the AX8 / FX2 work it’s a total pain in the ass when playing live when I want to concentrate on playing and putting on a show rather than worrying about patches and will my big foot hit the wrong button!!

Now I have 6 main sounds: 1 clean, 2 crunch, 2 high gain rhythm and one lead with FX and scenes just to keep me on my toes.

That said the unit sounds so crazy good I could easily do a whole gig on the JCM800 #34

I'm playing the electric guitar in an acoustic classic rock band. I have one preset per song (60-ish), although many of them are based on a kitchen sink preset and tweaked from there.

80's Hair Band...

5 patches...Clean,Rhythm, Lead w/delay, Lead w/wah, Lead w/phazer..

SUPER simple, same amp,cab for dirty stuff...

Only change is if I play detuned. In this case I bank up one and its a 1/2 pitch,(all same 5 patches) and up another bank for a whole step pitch!!(same original 5 patches)

When we play bars at volume, 99% of the people there only care if it sounds good,(myself included) not for the "authenticity" of the original recording.

Great song, also your sounds :)))))))

Seem to be in the majority here. Typically one kitchen sink preset, varies depending on the mood. However I have a few that are for specific songs of effects that I cant fit in a normal preset (ie, a few ambient clean parts with crazy delays/reverbs).

10-15. I use 4 of the presets 98% of the time. I've called them:
1. Fender-ish
2. Vox-ish
2. Marshall-ish
4. Lukather 90's
5. Jazz-ish
6. Acoustic
7. Nylon
Each of the first 4 presets have a couple of drives, two delays (mix controlled by exp-pedal), X/Y reverb, and some modulation fx's.
The rest is song-dependent.

I have 9 presets with 5 scenes and10 IA, 1 preset for 1 song with delay 440 ms / feedback 0.
1 preset for my Taylor acoustic guitar with 5 scenes.
For recording 10 presets.

Last edited:
AIC Tribute i use 5 patches. Can probably widdle that down if i tried. I have about 10 other personal wank patches.

80's Hair Band...

5 patches...Clean,Rhythm, Lead w/delay, Lead w/wah, Lead w/phazer..

SUPER simple, same amp,cab for dirty stuff...

Only change is if I play detuned. In this case I bank up one and its a 1/2 pitch,(all same 5 patches) and up another bank for a whole step pitch!!(same original 5 patches)

When we play bars at volume, 99% of the people there only care if it sounds good,(myself included) not for the "authenticity" of the original recording.

I’m assuming you can’t tell much of a difference with the d-tune?

I wonder if it would act like an EVH d-tuna?

I’m in the same boat with iaresee & Unix, but I have a ton of patches all of which are based around the same structure; mostly the same drive levels from scene to scene and same effects that I like, and I’ll just pick which amp suits my mood at the time. Lately it’s been the Fractal Wrecker, but I use all the Bludo’s, Dumble, Two-Rock, Komet, Dirty Shirley, Suhr, Carol Ann, Trainwreck, Fuchs, Swart.. Lol.,
Hey, why not!? Especially now that the Firmware isn’t being updated every other week, it’s really given me a chance to go back thru and seriously put on a fine tune on patches I had worked on throughout all the updates and then forgot about. I’ve even managed to really start to organize the finalized “keepers” that hold up to the “next day, fresh ears” test. I have about 20 of them right now, I’m just waiting on another pair of studio monitors so I can A/B/C them so I can get the best idea of how they should translate to the most variety of FRFR’s and I’ll probably zip em up & upload them for those that are interested.

Dude I feel you on the next day fresh ears. Some days I’m just loving the tone, then I hear the next day and it sounds like garbage. I don’t know what had happened!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back
Top Bottom