How many patches do you all use?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
And what type of music do you play? I'm in a top 40 cover band and use 70 patches for all the tunes!

80's Hair Band...

5 patches...Clean,Rhythm, Lead w/delay, Lead w/wah, Lead w/phazer..

SUPER simple, same amp,cab for dirty stuff...

Only change is if I play detuned. In this case I bank up one and its a 1/2 pitch,(all same 5 patches) and up another bank for a whole step pitch!!(same original 5 patches)

When we play bars at volume, 99% of the people there only care if it sounds good,(myself included) not for the "authenticity" of the original recording.

Original metal band. I use 2 patches.

Patch One:
Scene 1 - normal distortion tone
Scene 2 - solo with simple fixed delay
Scene 3 - solo with tap tempo delay
Scene 4 - clean sound with a specific phaser tone for specific song
scene 5 - clean sound
Boss expression pedal 2 setup for wah

Patch Two:
exactly the same as patch one except:
Scene 4 - Weird effect that uses synth, multi delay, formant and some tricky expression assignments to Boss expression pedal 1 to create this odd 30 second intro to one of our tunes.

Classic rock cover and originals:

I use about 20-30 patches. Some multipurpose and a lot of song specific

I need to spend some time and utilize scenes and simplify things down as 70 patches is a BITCH to level and tweak!

Live? One. Maaaybe two. I’ll stay on one preset all night. The only time I’ll break out the second preset is if we do our Simple Minds cover. Otherwise I’ll use the kitchen sink preset.

Now, which kitchen sink preset I use depends on my mood. I have the same effects layout in five presets but a different amp-cab pairing. So some nights I’ll play the Komet 60 preset. Others the Ford ODS. Sometimes the Deluxe.

The joys of playing in a jam band.

80's arena rock (same thing as hair band).

I use 3 presets. Each preset contains 4 scenes

Patch1: clean, heavy, soft lead, full lead
Patch2: Dirt, heavy, soft lead, full lead
Patch3: Patch for harmony lead.

I can play about 2 1/2 hours of original jazzy, modern rock with female lead vocals (somewhere between Natalie Merchant and Steely Dan at Eric Johnson's house) with a single kitchen sink preset.

Similar to @iaresee, which kitchen sink preset depends on my mood, the room, etc... There are several I choose between and I might switch for a song or two just because. Oh, and my sink just got bigger (Axe Fx III)!

I've played a gig or two with @finleysound - he's got great sounding presets. I think he uses 1 per song because he uses a lot of precisely tuned effects in each tune.

I've played a gig or two with @finleysound - he's got great sounding presets. I think he uses 1 per song because he uses a lot of precisely tuned effects in each tune.

As are yours, sir. Smoothest lead tones in the West!

And yes, you are correct re: effects tuned for each song. Additionally, my MFC is programmed so that each intro/verse/chorus/bridge/solo scene is always selected by the same physical footswitch, which necessities the use of a dedicated preset per song. Gotta idiot proof things as much as possible!

As are yours, sir. Smoothest lead tones in the West!

And yes, you are correct re: effects tuned for each song. Additionally, my MFC is programmed so that each intro/verse/chorus/bridge/solo scene is always selected by the same physical footswitch, which necessities the use of a dedicated preset per song. Gotta idiot proof things as much as possible!
Thanks for the compliment!

You gotta do what works for you... I'm looking forward to the new FCs so I can figure out more complex ways to confuse myself! ;)

Since I'm not singing like you, I have time to actually look at the board :cool:

I use 2 presets, 5 scenes in each for clean, semi clean, crunch lead and solo.

I'm in an 80s band doing pop and rock and its all I need - these two presets cover everything with IA switches

Overal, were original hard rock, but we like to fuse in a few things like funk, pop, techno or whatever, here and there for a bit of an experimental twist.

I'm a patch per song kind of guy, I use scenes, and automation from a daw.

Back
Top Bottom