How many of you work a regular day job?

Full time I am an IT Support Analyst and have been working for the same company, albeit in different roles, for 31 years. Life changed about 10 years ago when I got divorced and I had to start again with a new mortgage. The day job helps pay that and keeps me solvent. I have played in wedding/function bands for 35 years and love doing it on a semi-pro basis. I like the fact that it is not my full time job and is still a hobby I earn some extra money from. I am not sure if I would like playing as much if I knew the pressure was on to make a living out of it.

My step-brother's girlfriend got a degree in Film & Television something or other fifteen years ago. Been working in payroll management for like 10 years now.

ha ha - exactly, that's why I went into finance a year after college - been in it for 20 years now !

I have a day job, and love it! I'm a computer scientist by profession and I work for a small, but growing, software company in the North East of England. Never a dull moment, and no such thing as a 9-5... it's basically whatever needs to be done to get the job done, from wherever it has to be done.

On top of that, ZenRigs keeps me occupied when everyone goes to sleep at my house and every weekend.

And there's the band on top of that, which is really important to me as we play to raise money for Cancer Research (lost my dad to it, nearly my mum too). Guitar and music is very much my hobby and 'release' from everything else. I try to play every day, even if only for a few minutes - my hands get itchy if they don't get a regular fix of whammy bar and steel!

And in the 15 minutes I have left in the day I enjoy a deep sleep :)

Sukh

Musically, I started playing in bands around 1980 with the goal of joining the 80s metal fad. Over the years I've also done some short stints as a replacement guitarist in a funk/RnB/top 40 band and some country/southern rock bands. I love performing with good musicians that care about putting on a good show. I didn't enjoy being in bands with people that had personality, drug/alcohol, or other problems that held everyone else back. At some point I realized that I got more enjoyment out of playing at home than I did playing in some of those bands. So I got serious about college and used music as my stress relief.

Today I teach economics and business courses at a small college and I'm 3-4 years away from being able to retire :). Prior to starting a career in education I worked at or managed 3 different music stores, managed a computer/video game store, and also worked in the computer industry on the retail side and then on the industrial sales side. It was the computer experience that lead to teaching computer classes in the early 90s. An opportunity opened up that allowed me to teach full-time in the business department and that became my career. I still perform occasionally in church and other opportunities that are one-off shows.

i guess I'm a bit of a mess.. grew up outside the US, spending many years overseas. Graduated HS at 16, then studied 2 yrs of a 3yr chemical engineering degree in London (England) before figuring out it was WAY too theoretical for me. So, being an oilfield "brat" I went to work the oilfield (Sedco + Halliburton) for 6 yrs .

During that sojourn, I was sitting on a workboat heading toward Bahrain (from Iran, where we had spent 6 weeks working on a gas blowout with Boots & Coots) when the ill-fated Iran hostage rescue helo "fleet" flew by!
Decided then that I needed a degree, as chipping paint off diesel engines at age 50 in 115F August heat wasn't a brilliant long-range (albeit lucrative) prospect. Worked in Qatar as a radio DJ for about a year before they deported me, while dabbling in a band with some friends, and figuring out how to get into the US!

Moved to the good ole USA (Texas - where I've lived ever since) for college. Got into doing sound (during college) and worked for a company that provided SR for Steppenwolf, The Byrds, Rebbie Jackson, Melba Moore, Freddie Jackson, The SOS band, the Deal and various other 80's touring acts + plus lots of local/regional bands - like Jerry Jeff Walker, bugs Henderson.... Figured out that skill had little bearing on success (off-stage) and got my IT degree. Been in IT ever since.. but did not play music for a number of years while getting married, having kids and chasing a career. Currently a systems architect in a major financial services company.

On the playing front - started playing guitar about 20 yrs ago and worked my *ss off on it for about 15 yrs, getting into a top-tier local rock/variety band and gigging about 4 or 5 times a month. Then, 5 yrs ago, by accident, I fell into mostly playing bass - and moved to the dark side - playing Country. Since then, I've done over 400 "weekend- warrior" country gigs, opening for regional and national acts and had a blast doing so. I've also learned during that time that by 1am of the 4th night in a row (with a full-time day job), it becomes a job. I'm not sure I could play for a living, much as I like it..

The guy who plays bongos in the attached vid (lives in North Wales) posted it a few months ago on FB. It's a very sophomoric original by some young guys. I had NO CLUE it existed !! It was "filmed" back in 1982 (In Doha, Qatar). I'm the guy sitting on top of the orange cabs, playing.. .. yep. BASS!!! I don't remember EVER doing that.. or the event. Guess I've gone back to my roots.. FWIW - I still play guitar :)

So, over 40 years ago, I wanted to be a rockstar...went on the road for a year and wasn't really happy with the people I was working/living with 24x7, so I quit and joined the U.S. Air Force. In Basic Training (only six weeks an much less demanding than Boy Scout camping/training), they gave me a test and the opportunity to learn Computer Skills, including programming. I've been in the biz for over 40 years, earn six figures, and have a great family/life...it's provided a wonderful life for me, while still playing evenings/weekends. I also have many associates that were great musicians (computer skills require many of the same skills: i.e. creativity and analytical). It has afforded me the opportunity to earn a great living, while enjoying a great hobby of playing in many venues, including: big bands, rock bands, country bands, show bands, and theater...

Follow Your Heart and take Risks...somehow it works out, if you work hard, learn new things, are dedicated, respect/include others, and put in the effort!

I'm a paramedic, so not strictly a day job. The hours are long, but after each run of shifts I get 3 1/2 days off, which I pretty much reserve for writing and recording music. Having full weekdays lined up to focus on writing music with minimal distraction is the best part of my job, haha. Haven't made a cent from music though and not necessarily expecting to (except perhaps cover some studio costs), as much as I'd love to do it for a living. Still working on my first album, and loving doing so.

Last edited:
I'm financial controller, team leader, hadn't have a bad salary but I quit last week after 9 years. No other jobs in sight at the moment, simple burn out. Not because of the work itself but because of the boss. There was an article a while ago on LinkedIn with something in the title like "We work for our boss, not for the company". It boils often down to just that, who are you working with, who delegates you the work. If the working enviroment is OK, most of us can do anything only cause we know how to do it without having to truly love it.

Regarding music, my philosophy is that I want to keep it as a hobby and passion. Even if I could, I don't think that I would like to live of it, I would be afraid to lose my creative freedom and joy. However, if anyone would pay me to do what I want and would have enough patience, I would reconsider it...

I have played in rock bands since I was 16, and all through college (it paid for half of it!), and hit the road (in the Midwest of the USA) in the cover band I was in during college for a year after graduating with degrees in computer science, marketing and jazz studies (performance on guitar). It got boring being on the road, playing poppy rocks songs (mid-late 80's), since the rest of the band was 4-6 years older than me, so I didn't get to play the music I really liked. Some of that had to do with no one being able to sing the music I really liked, so no sky-high metal vocalists were in the band! I liked half of the songs pretty well, and it was a good experience playing tunes that I didn't really listen to, so there were some good challenges in there. Also, I was fortunate that no one in the band did drugs or smoked, so I didn't encounter those types of problems that I have heard so much about. But the band was breaking up, so I proposed to my girlfriend of 3 years and took a day job.

I've been a computer network engineer and consultant for the past 28 years. Servers, routers, switches, firewalls, wireless, virtualization (everything is virtual nowadays), etc. I like my job overall, and I work for about 28 client companies of my firm, and pitch in on other consultants' projects when needed. Although I've been on call 24/7 forever, I don't have that many emergency calls on weekends, a few each year. Of course, we schedule lots of after hours and weekend upgrades throughout the year.

It pays pretty well for where I live, and I wouldn't earn as much working anywhere else in this area. Wife, mortgage (1 1/2 years to go!), 3 sons (2 still in college, one graduated last spring).

There's not a way to earn the kind of income I do if I were a full-time musician, because I am an average guitarist, not nearly as skilled as I would need to be, even though I practice daily and have a weekend warrior rock band that plays twice per month, and I wouldn't have been able to purchase FAS gear very easily if I was, especially being a family man.

Playing guitar is my serious hobby, and I do have tons of equipment (PA, lighting, etc.), and I really enjoy that FAS gear has made it easier to get the tone and effects of my guitar heroes to play in my little cover band.
Only 14 more years until retirement, and then I can allocate more time for my serious hobby!

I recently got a full-time job from the leading independent music agency here in Finland. Must say I'm really happy about this, since I pretty much have free hands to do almost anything concerning booking artists. Making music and playing in a band has always been a hobby to me. Maybe someday!

That in mind: if you have any cool acts that you would like to bring to Finland, send a PM to me! I'll see what we can do :)

Like most Americans after having suffered financial melt down in the mid 2000's I have bounced between jobs for the last ten years trying to find something I like to do. I have worked for some really cool people and some not so cool doing all sorts for things. What I found is that I like to do to many different things and get bored with being specialized at one thing.

About 6 months ago a job fell into my lap that I absolutely love! I am now the new plant manager for Apollo Masters and we make the Lacquer Master blanks for Vinyl records... some may not remember or know what those are.

Fact of the matter is there are 2 places left on the face of the planet that do this on a commercial scale and it's like working for Willy Wonka and I literally have the keys to the candy making room, I freaking love it! I have my hands in every aspect of this job from start to finish, the VP is cool easy to work for the people that work under me are nice and I can't think of anything better other than winning a huge lottery and telling everyone to have a nice day whilst sipping a Mai Tae!.

I know that i'm not going to get rich at this job and it's nothing glamorous and I really don't care as long as I'm comfortable and can pay my bills on time and have some extra dough at the end of the month it's all good!

Now everyone run out and cut some masters dammit I need another guitar :D

Where to start?

I took Piano lessons for a few months when I was 10. Didn't like it. I wanted to PLAY, not practice scales. At 14, I got a gut string guitar. Hooked, I played it relentlessly with the Blue 'Eagles Greatest Hits' until I could do it in my sleep. In a year, I was in a band. I turned out to be the guy who replaced everyone who left (or was not good enough.) Lead vocals, 2nd guitar, Bass, mild keys, whatever...I did it.

But there was never any question of whether I would make this a career; I was headed to college (a girl might have had a hand in this...) I played acoustic mostly, but very little in college...mostly to get girls into the rack (the earlier girl had gone...) Grades suffered, college not an option any more, and I joined the army. By testing into a fairly exclusive job there, I had privileges that are maybe not available to other troopies, and I had training and perks and...opportunity. I ended up playing a few shows overseas with some fine musicians also in the Army (in between my other duties.) I gave up the guitar after that in any meaningful way for over 3 years.

Fast forward 2 years. College again, a brief management position with a car rental agency, very little playing on the acoustic. Life intrudes again...the downside of a good military resume...they call you back. I do not begrudge this...they spent a lot of money training me, gotta get their money's worth. Off I went to another war with 1 day lead time. Shortening the story, while in a remote place, I realized that there was an empty spot there someplace...music. I vowed that I would take (back) up music should I live through what I was doing. Not a promise, or a condition, or a 'come to Jesus', more of a 'this is part of you...to ignore it is just not right'.

So this I did. Bedroom late night playing for a few years. A few more girls. A move to Denver, another girl, and (to the point of the OP), I jumped into computing really only for the money...I was able to do it without undue brain strain. So many titles over the years contracting, regular jobs with IBM, Sun, EDS, Oracle, but the closest thing I can say I am now is 'Dev Ops'...basically a melange of Systems, DB, Application, and Programming. I joined a few bands (where *shocker* I was the widget again...any instrument that was needed. It actually kept me interested tho...was nice to have heavy duties as most of our cover songs were dull in my mind.) Somewhere in there after 10's of thousands of dollars, I found Fractal.

I hold a good position with a recognizable corporation. I don't miss a regular gigging schedule...but it's in my mind that I need to play with others again after a 5+ year hiatus. If I could find a good group of somewhat talented older guys...I'd jump in again. But I still have 12 year old twin girls to support...so unless I win the lottery, my path is pretty much set. I don't hate or love my job...it just IS. It's what I have to do to in my life. I'm working on getting better at keyboards...halfway decent now on the Piano. I'm flirting with other instruments. Violin if that doesn't sound too crazy.

Great thread so far!

After school I started to work in a little company doing recording and video work. I also did some work for a local newspaper while I was in school writing about bands and live music around my town. What I learned from both jobs is that everything gets bad or at least less fun when it becomes your everyday job. When you have to cut every breathing out of a vocal wave file or sync speech to lip movement for 8 hours a day, you will come home without the wish to do some recording or music. Stuff like that made me play guitar less and less with every day.
After a year I started a new apprenticeship doing something completely different (electronics, automotive stuff) and finally got back to playing and enjoying guitar.
So having a "normal" day job works a lot better for me and my hobby. It's also way better to feed my GAS. With the typical income in the music business I probably wouldn't own my axe

It is interesting reading through everyone's story. Cool thread! Seems like quite a few engineers around these parts. I'm a structural although I was sure I was going to be a rock star when I was in my 20's. I obsessed over practicing guitar when I was young and just assumed everything would work out if I was a shredder. Unfortunately no one in my band could actually write good enough songs to go anywhere so I realized it was best left as a hobby before I turned 30. I quit the band and moved out of state to train as an engineer under my father. Eventually moved back to the Tahoe area and over the years worked for a few local firms. About 8 years ago I went freelance and have been fully self employed ever since. I would like to transition into a legit firm but I just can't find anyone to work with so I just keep on keeping in by myself. When I moved back we got the band back together purely as a hobby and we play a few shows a year. We are blessed in that we have several hi profile metal musicians that come sit in with us on a regular basis and all in all just have a blast playing old school classic metal.

I forgot mine...

Left my job as a UAV test pilot/pilot support manager in December 2014 at the ripe age of 40 to go back to school before my GI Bill expires (this coming June). I have one more semester after this and then I'll finally have my B.S. in Biology (Developmental & Genetics track). Next step is medical school or a biomedical sciences Ph.D program (virology or neuro - undecided).

Im a physician. Very stressful, decent money. About to have 2 kids going to college. Now 49, first guitar 4th grade. Love it as a hobby. I supposed if I studied it as much as I studied for Medicine, Id be pretty amazing, maybe. It is my stress relief.

I did the full time playing thing, and it was literally feast or famine. Once I had a family to raise and decided I liked eating regularly and sleeping indoors, the day job became the priority and the gigging became a "when the schedule allowed." 25 years on, and I am still gigging regularly (which at least pays for all my musical endeavors) and the career job has raised a bunch of kids and kept me solvent. Of course I still have rock star dreams, and wish I could "just play" but I hold no ill will towards a career that has provided a living for decades.

Now that I am nearing retirement, I'll likely keep right on playing. My retired buddies tell me they can play as much as they want... since retirement, every day is Saturday! A time and a place for everything.

i I don't remember EVER doing that.. or the event. Guess I've gone back to my roots.. FWIW - I still play guitar :)

That's funny - I see vids once in awhile of shows I did in the 90's and I'm like "What the heck?? I don't remember even BEING there" and wonder if I have an alien doppleganger in a band somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom